Poor performances with CIFS shares and freezes after update to 11.2-U2.1

Paranoiak

Dabbler
Hi,

My FREENAS is 5 years old, I've never had this kind of problem before. I updated some time ago to the latest version 11.2-U2.1 and since then it seems that I have many performance issues on my CIFS shares...

Before I saturated the Gbps very easily. From now on, copies take time to launch, the flow rates are bad and I have freezes (the copy is not a straight line...). I even have a copy that crashed (it was no longer progressing) and no way to access my shares... Double reboot to be able to access the data again.

I deleted the old boot from the previous version.... So how can we do downgrading?

I may not be an isolated case and may have to wait for another update?

Thank you for your feedback.

If you haven't applied new feature flags to the volume, you should be able to downgrade to FreeNAS 11.1-U7.

Paranoiak

Dabbler
If you haven't applied new feature flags to the volume, you should be able to downgrade to FreeNAS 11.1-U7.
Sadly I have updated the ZFS pool. Which is the oldest version who supports it ?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Sadly I have updated the ZFS pool. Which is the oldest version who supports it ?
Any of the 11.2 releases should have the same feature flags; I don't think there were new ones added in the subversions.

Paranoiak

Dabbler
Maybe I should downgrade to the first 11.2 release... Or just wait. What would be the process ? Reinstall from scratch and import config backup file ?

Paranoiak

Dabbler
I figured out that it concerns only READ performances, no issue WRITING files on the share... I don't understand anything !

I figured out that it concerns only READ performances, no issue WRITING files on the share... I don't understand anything !
How did you determine this?

Paranoiak

Dabbler
From my Windows client, copy from the NAS to the desktop and copy from the desktop to the NAS.

When I copy a file from my desktop the progression copy bar starts instantly and the rate is about 100 MB/s.

When I copy a file from the share to the desktop, there are issues.

(sorry for my English)

First thing I would do is try to isolate the problem. Broadly speaking, you need to isolate it to one of three areas - the client, the network or the server. So, before further investigation of the server, let's see if we can eliminate the client and network first.

Try reading and writing from a different Windows PC. If the issue disappears, the problem will be with the first Windows client.
What sits in the network path between the Windows client and the FreeNAS server?

Paranoiak

Dabbler
Thank you for your help.

I have a MikroTik hAP ac2 between the client and the NAS. (router with Gbe ports)

My client is a Intel NUC with Intel NIC under Windows 10. I will try from another PC and also with a direct ethernet cable plugged into the NAS.

I will post the results later, I'm at the office right now.

Paranoiak

Dabbler
Just to illustrate the issue.

Working great :

NUC-NAS.PNG

Not working great (it freezes at the start then suddenly reaches the end) :

NAS-NUC.PNG

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
From Mikrotik perspective...
- Update the packages/FW
- Verify that you don't have any TX/RX quotas set on the Eth. Interface.

Other ideas:
- Is it only CIFS issue or do you see the clear diffetence in transfer speeds over FTP/SCP as well?
- Try iperf between client and NAS

Paranoiak

Dabbler
Well, the problem is solved. I reinstalled Windows 10 with a clean installation (build 1809) and miracle! I was already planning to do that. Glad it works!
I had taken the time to test the different network ports before this manipulation and I had not encountered any problems from another computer under Windows 10.
I like Windows....

So it was a client issue?

Last edited: