Please update your plex media server plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Hixson

Hello everyone ;-)

A mistake was made in the creation of the plex media server plugin where the machine ID was that of the machine on which the plugin was created. Also, remote security was disabled. We have updated the plugin to not include this information and it will be automatically generated when the plugin is installed and started. It may be a little bit of an inconvenience to update the plugin but we advise everyone to do so immediately.

Thank you!
- John

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Isn't the MachineID also important for identifying the server in myplex? If so, is it dynamically created from static information or is it somewhat random? I know I'd hate to have to reshare my media with my family every time I updated the plugin.

J

John Hixson

Yes, the machine ID is important for this reason. This is a one time deal. This is why the "Preferences.xml" that was included with the plugin has been removed. From this moment forward, with every new update, you will not need to re-share your media.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Outstanding! Thanks for the feedback.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Looks like there's other problems with the Plex plugin...

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php...tion-on-freenas-91-implementation/?hl=freenas

Actually, it looks like this problem was first identified Sept 14th....http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/80704-pms-authentication/

Edit: I just noticed that you did mention the remote vulnerability. Shouldn't an email be going out to the FreeNAS mailing list to get this out in the open. If I understand the issue well, anyone that tries to access your WAN IP on port 32400(which must be forwarded for the myplex feature) has access to your entire library. So for the most part everyone that uses the default port might have their library open on the internet for everyone to see. Kind of serious if you ask me. Especially since you can delete movies from the WebUI.

pauldonovan

Explorer
How would one go about updating the plugin? I don't see any obvious features in the GUI.

Do I have to install the new version separately, then delete the old one? Seems kind of a pain.

kckopp

Dabbler
How would one go about updating the plugin? I don't see any obvious features in the GUI.

Do I have to install the new version separately, then delete the old one? Seems kind of a pain.

For now that appears to be the path. Looks like 9.1.2 will allow for proper upgrades, https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3141.

Probably worth noting that if one was to upgrade then bring in the PMS database from the prior version, to keep media metdata, etc., that they would carry with it the bad Preferences.xml. When upgrading if you bring in your old database, and had not already overwritten the bad Preferences.xml, be sure to stop the plugin, remove /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server/Preferences.xml and let it regenerate on next start up.

sbec67

Dabbler
what about the DB that PLEX has created ?
what about all the Cover Images a.s.o.
is there no other Path to Upgrade ? ...
also i am PlexPass Member and get new Version's b4 the become official.
I also would like to upgrade to those version.

Please advice, what has to be taken care of

Thanks
Sbec

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't believe that a plexpass version can be released by the FreeNAS project as its a paid feature. I'm a plexpass member and the download page for plexpass members lists several versions for NASes, but not for FreeNAS. I think your best bet is to go to the Plex forums and request that they include a FreeNAS PBI in their download page.

sbec67

Dabbler
i thought to download the FreeBSD Version and unpack it to the Jail of FreeNAS-PLEX Plugin.
that's why i asked what has to be taken care of o_O
could this work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.