New Plugin Available: Plex Media Server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus33

Patron
just a heads up, I plan on pushing a small change to this PBI so updates (through FN) are no longer unnecessarily inefficient.

my plan is to add an rc.conf flag changing plex's support path to /var/db/plexdata. this would mean
1) updates through the FreeNAS PBI would be much faster.
2) users on the current PBI version would need to backup and restore their /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata directory if they chose to update.

tell me if anyone has any comments of this idea, thanks

For larger plex databases a backup is probably more problematic then rescanning everything. (less time too)

For a improved upgrade process it wouldn't even be a hardship since the present upgrade process can take 5 hours to 9 which risks something hiccuping and broking the install.
Seriously curious to see what the new and improved is going to shave off the time of upgrading :)

New FreeNAS (and NAS in general) follower here. I am transitioning the household from several independent PCs and laptops to one PC, one NAS, several data phones, a tablet, AV receiver and Samsung DVD player (with Smart Hub). I am re purposing the current HTPC that is connected to the AV Receiver. The receiver outputs to the TV, which is an older rear projection TV (oh yeah, the venerable RCA R52WH74). The one HD connection on the TV is DVI, and only one of those too.

So this HTPC is to be my FreeNAS server. It has 6 SATA 6Gb/s connectors so I will use 5 for the storage and one of SATA II connectors for the Free NAS OS (instead of using a USB).

My question: I install the Plex Server plugin on the NAS. So if I open the Plex client on the DVD player to use one of the plex plugins, does the incoming stream come first into the NAS and then passed to the DVD player for output to the TV? (Is Path from the Internet to: FreeNAS plex server ->ethernet-> DVD player ->HDMI->AV Receiver->DVI-> HDTV ?) I wonder with so many hops, if there isn't any degradation along the way.

Magnus33

Patron
New FreeNAS (and NAS in general) follower here. I am transitioning the household from several independent PCs and laptops to one PC, one NAS, several data phones, a tablet, AV receiver and Samsung DVD player (with Smart Hub). I am re purposing the current HTPC that is connected to the AV Receiver. The receiver outputs to the TV, which is an older rear projection TV (oh yeah, the venerable RCA R52WH74). The one HD connection on the TV is DVI, and only one of those too.

So this HTPC is to be my FreeNAS server. It has 6 SATA 6Gb/s connectors so I will use 5 for the storage and one of SATA II connectors for the Free NAS OS (instead of using a USB).

My question: I install the Plex Server plugin on the NAS. So if I open the Plex client on the DVD player to use one of the plex plugins, does the incoming stream come first into the NAS and then passed to the DVD player for output to the TV? (Is Path from the Internet to: FreeNAS plex server ->ethernet-> DVD player ->HDMI->AV Receiver->DVI-> HDTV ?) I wonder with so many hops, if there isn't any degradation along the way.

If you playing from you Nas then its simpler.
The dvd player is connecting to the nas/plex server through the router local network and then outputting it to what ever devices are connected to the dvd player.

The only time you connect to the nas using external internet is if your doing it from somewhere other then your home network.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I'm relatively new here, so forgive my ignorance, but from my understanding, if you want the Plex Pass version of PMS you have to use the ports version. Although I've heard ports is easier/quicker to update (maybe not true, anymore?) the PBI (is that lingo for plugin installed through GUI?) is a little more user friendly for initial setup. So my question is there anyway to use the GUI to install the Plex Pass version of PMS? Or will there be in the near future? Also feel free to correct any mistakes or assumptions I may have made. Thanks

Bruno Salvador

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I have installed Plex plugin and I'm using it in my AppleTV3.
It works very well, I'm very happy with the setup.

This instalation requires some kind of hacking of AppleTV, but I guarantee, you will like it a lot.

You need to install the PlexConnect, it is a simple DNS server written in Python, and you can run inside a Jail.
More info on how to install, troubleshoot, head up to: https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect

Just my 2 cents.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
Hello everyone,

I have installed Plex plugin and I'm using it in my AppleTV3.
It works very well, I'm very happy with the setup.

This instalation requires some kind of hacking of AppleTV, but I guarantee, you will like it a lot.

You need to install the PlexConnect, it is a simple DNS server written in Python, and you can run inside a Jail.

More info on how to install, troubleshoot, head up to: https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect

Just my 2 cents.

Other than saving a few bucks, what is the benefit to PlexConnect? I have the plex app on my phone and I can airplay any media from the plex app to my ATV without any hassle, so I'm just curious.

Bruno Salvador

Dabbler
The benefit is to exclude the iOS devices from the playback (AirPlay). Also when using airplay usually you get bad quality image on first seconds of the movie, until the buffer is full and then you have a good quality. As I'm more into wired network solution, taking out the wireless weak point of the chain its good.

You only need the AppleTV remote control to watch your library.

Magnus33

Patron
The benefit is to exclude the iOS devices from the playback (AirPlay). Also when using airplay usually you get bad quality image on first seconds of the movie, until the buffer is full and then you have a good quality. As I'm more into wired network solution, taking out the wireless weak point of the chain its good.

Also you get the joy of outsmarting apple and getting the apple tv to do more then just apple restricts you to..more bang for the buck as they say.

On another note it looks like the major overhaul to the plex upgrade issue of taking a massive amount of time to upgrade is due out in the 9.3 beta which is not to far off.

Taking 5 to 6 hours for the plex server to upgrade was a bit much and risked failure.

ixion

Dabbler

But you don't get any support for DTS, DTS-MA or TrueHD audio. All of those will be transcoded.

rubenm

Dabbler
i have done this, i got a result of DONE but i dont see changes not even on plex.tv

Magnus33

Patron
Tv website?

Are you trying to play local content in your home or play stuff from your home server somewhere else?
If its the later you not likely going to get the sound you want since its streaming over the internet rather then being played locally.

Magnus33

Patron
Little update on how plex sends audio.

Each Device is supported by it's own profile. For instance the Samsung Smart TV does support DCA which is really a DTS signal and Plex will send using DTS for that unit.
(not my words but says it perfectly enough )

rubenm

Dabbler
I was talking about update for plex pass version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnus33

Patron
Plex server/client ask the device whats it capable of.
If the response isn't correct or to generic it doesn't work correctly.

Also if in the client settings /general/device profile if its not selected it wont work.

Whats the device your playing plex on?

Example apple tv requires certain settings in both plex and apple tv to be turned on or lg smart tv don't do dts in certain regions and requires a certain check box to be selected in plex for this to work.

Guys can someone please update plex plugin with 0.9.11+ as this is required by Xbox One plex app to connect to minimum version of 0.9.10

Magnus33

Patron
Its already been mentioned in the bug reporting system its out of date.

Possible though it may not be updated tell 9.3 beta done since its suppose to include a major update to the update process for plex.
Its only got a few bug fixes before its ready for beta though.

fredd589

Cadet
Hi all I'm trying to update my Plex server on my Freenas using this guide:

1. Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)
2. type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation
3. type: 'jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)
4. type: 'fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh'
5. type: 'chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh'
6. type: './PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a'

But I'm stuck on just the second step :mad: I type in jls and it responds with:

root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # jls
JID IP Address Hostname Path

no numbers or anything to continue with?

Status
Not open for further replies.