New Plugin Available: Plex Media Server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

panz

Guru
I copied the Plex Media Server / directory from an older installation and it messed up the newer one.

mmmchen

Cadet
Perhaps I was just lucky.

In this case I copied the whole folder from 9.9.12 to 9.9.7.

mka

Contributor
Can I revert back to 9.9.7? 9.9.12 always crashes even freshly installed. Deleted jail and installed plugin directly from scratch. :(

Or will FreeNAS accept it: I've made a snapshot prior updating to 9.9.12. Can I revert back to it and it should be up and running?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Or will FreeNAS accept it: I've made a snapshot prior updating to 9.9.12. Can I revert back to it and it should be up and running?

You *might* be able to stop the jail, roll back to the snapshot, then start the jail. I've done this when doing updates... take snapshot, install update, see that the update is fubared, rollback. But for me there was less than 10 minutes in between taking the snapshot and rolling back. But, it *should* work but ymmv.

Magnus33

Patron
Can I revert back to 9.9.7? 9.9.12 always crashes even freshly installed. Deleted jail and installed plugin directly from scratch. :(

You can but its very hit and miss.
Had it work on the test system a few times and others it seemed to work but i could no longer added sources.
Cyberjock right make snapshots as it may seem paranoid but something eventually hits the fan in a amazing fashion eventually.

mka

Contributor
Too bad the snapshot was no longer an option for me. I forgot I deleted the dataset (and therefore the snapshots) to start with a fresh plex installation... only to find out that this one keeps crashing just like any flavor of 9.9.12 I've tried.

mka

Contributor
I did backup all my metadata tough ... I just need to figure out how on earth I can get a working plexmediaserver installation again.

Magnus33

Patron
Have you tried creating a jail on a different drive for the plex installation?

I found that a drive change is needed in certain setups to avoid problems.

George51

Contributor
What you have to do is as fallows:

1. Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)
2. type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation
3. type: 'jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)
4. type: 'fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh'
5. type: 'chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh'
6. type: './PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a'

after that you'll be updated to the latest PlexPass version. To update again you do steps 1,2,3 and 6.

like mstinaff wrote remember: Standard disclaimers apply. Understand what you are doing. Make your backups. Call your mother. etc
Anyone else found this has stopped working?Currently on .9.9.13 trying to upgrade to .9,9,16 and it won't seemingly upgrade me this time

xcom

Contributor
Anyone else found this has stopped working?Currently on .9.9.13 trying to upgrade to .9,9,16 and it won't seemingly upgrade me this time

Work just fine for me.

Went from 9.9.13 to 9.9.16 without an issue.

George51

Contributor
Work just fine for me.

Went from 9.9.13 to 9.9.16 without an issue.
I follow all the steps - it pauses for a second, displays a new line in the shell window, and the plex server has not been updated. I've tried it with the plugin off and on, I can't work out where I am going wrong then. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Made it work again - it was entirely my fault.

Different question - what is the best way to put this into a script to have a cron job run it periodically. I have currently copied into a text editor, saved as .sh and moved that file into my plex jail location (next to the PMS_Updater file this downloads. I used chmod +x on the new .sh file, and then tried to use cron to run it once a week or so.

Will this work? what I've got in the text document is this:

jls
jexec 1 csh
fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
./PMS_Updater.sh -u USER -p "PASSWORD" -a

Cheers

Last edited:

Ismael Duarte

Contributor
What I did wrong?
I've followed this steps, added v option just to see what's doing,
at the end I´ve the message
"Already running latest version v0.9.9.14.531-7eef8c6"
Not 9.9.16 !!??!!

and more, in freenas webui, it reports "plexmediaserver-0.9.9.13.525-amd64"

ClassicGOD

Contributor
What I did wrong?
I've followed this steps, added v option just to see what's doing,
at the end I´ve the message
"Already running latest version v0.9.9.14.531-7eef8c6"
Not 9.9.16 !!??!!
9.9.16 is PlexPass only version - if you didn't provide your PlexPass login data or it was incorrect the script will download latest public version and that is 9.9.14

and more, in freenas webui, it reports "plexmediaserver-0.9.9.13.525-amd64"
Like I wrote before - the version number you see in FreeNAS GUI is not updated and you should only care about the version shown by your Plex Web Interface.

Ismael Duarte

Contributor
Thank you for this information, it's very helpful. PlexPass is only the paid version or just need to be registered?

9.9.16 is PlexPass only version - if you didn't provide your PlexPass login data or it was incorrect the script will download latest public version and that is 9.9.14

Like I wrote before - the version number you see in FreeNAS GUI is not updated and you should only care about the version shown by your Plex Web Interface.

Enviado do meu GT-I9001 através de Tapatalk

ClassicGOD

Contributor
Thank you for this information, it's very helpful. PlexPass is only the paid version or just need to be registered?
PlexPass is the paid version.

JJD

Dabbler
Hey guys,
after trying to update all I can get is

./PMS_Updater.sh: No match.

never mind got it working had to put the password in quotes

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
just a heads up, I plan on pushing a small change to this PBI so updates (through FN) are no longer unnecessarily inefficient.

my plan is to add an rc.conf flag changing plex's support path to /var/db/plexdata. this would mean
1) updates through the FreeNAS PBI would be much faster.
2) users on the current PBI version would need to backup and restore their /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata directory if they chose to update.

tell me if anyone has any comments of this idea, thanks

Magnus33

Patron
just a heads up, I plan on pushing a small change to this PBI so updates (through FN) are no longer unnecessarily inefficient.

my plan is to add an rc.conf flag changing plex's support path to /var/db/plexdata. this would mean
1) updates through the FreeNAS PBI would be much faster.
2) users on the current PBI version would need to backup and restore their /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata directory if they chose to update.

tell me if anyone has any comments of this idea, thanks

It would likely make many very happy :)

Scareh

Contributor
any way of making the update do the backing up/restore automaticly (as in just ask user to select a path for where to store the backup temp)?

Status
Not open for further replies.