New Plugin Available: Plex Media Server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmelTV

Cadet
What you have to do is as fallows:

1. Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)
2. type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation
3. type: 'jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)
4. type: 'fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh'
5. type: 'chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh'
6. type: './PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a'

after that you'll be updated to the latest PlexPass version. To update again you do steps 1,2,3 and 6.

like mstinaff wrote remember: Standard disclaimers apply. Understand what you are doing. Make your backups. Call your mother. etc

Hi God, worked likea charm! Thanks for the detailed steps.
For other coming and reading this post I can also mention that if you have special charachters ('&') in your plexpass password it won't work doing step 6 and you have to change password on the plexpass acount for it to work.

Regards,
TimmelTV

ClassicGOD

Contributor
Hi God, worked likea charm! Thanks for the detailed steps.
For other coming and reading this post I can also mention that if you have special charachters ('&') in your plexpass password it won't work doing step 6 and you have to change password on the plexpass acount for it to work.

Regards,
TimmelTV
For special characters you can try putting your password in " " or escaping them with \ so in step 6 your pass&word would look like "pass&word" or pass\&word

George51

Contributor
What you have to do is as fallows:

1. Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)
2. type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation
3. type: 'jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)
4. type: 'fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh'
5. type: 'chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh'
6. type: './PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a'

after that you'll be updated to the latest PlexPass version. To update again you do steps 1,2,3 and 6.

like mstinaff wrote remember: Standard disclaimers apply. Understand what you are doing. Make your backups. Call your mother. etc

Followed these steps - it works a treat thank you!

My plex server via the web reports its version 0.9..9.10.... however via the FreeNAS plugin page it says that it is still 0.9.9.7

Is this to be expected?

Regards

ClassicGOD

Contributor
Followed these steps - it works a treat thank you!

My plex server via the web reports its version 0.9..9.10.... however via the FreeNAS plugin page it says that it is still 0.9.9.7

Is this to be expected?

Regards

The PlexPass version is usually ahead of the public version.

George51

Contributor
The PlexPass version is usually ahead of the public version.

Appreciate that - what I meant was, is it normal that it doesn't update the plugin version displayed on FreeNAS? Or is that a sign the update didn't properly apply?

ClassicGOD

Contributor
Appreciate that - what I meant was, is it normal that it doesn't update the plugin version displayed on FreeNAS? Or is that a sign the update didn't properly apply?

Yes, this update procedure will not change the plugin version in FreeNas WebGUI. The version you see in your Plex Server settings is the correct one.

mka

Contributor
Hi.

Since I updated the plugin to 9.9.12 the Plex Media Server crashes very often (at least every day) with signal 6 (usually some sort of memory corruption/double free'd/etc). Does anyone have this issue or any ideas on a solution?

I'm using FreeNAS 9.2.1.4 x64

Thanks!

mmmchen

Cadet
Hi,

I have the same issue with signal 6!

I upgraded via PBI, then also tried package update in the Jail...
And updated python... nothing helped.

But I lost my database..... Now I have to go through all Metadata again. Or does anyone know where the PBI-Upgrade stores the old content???

And if anyone has a clue on how to fix the exiting issue, please help!!! Currently, I can't use Plex any more and have to sick to plain DLNA via Serviio...

CU
Marcus

Magnus33

Patron
Both plex upgrade and the script upgrade aren't perfect.
The former can take hours depending on on database size and the later can cause unexpected problems like crashes and database not updating after.

Also if you got large databases and limited memory thinks can go wrong quickly with addons.

mka

Contributor
It again took hours. But that's ok... I usually let it update over night.

But this time the plex media server crashes so often... It usually takes less than 6 hours for the process to die. And without any load or activity on the process. No logged in users, no playback, nothing. I just started the process again before going to bed. In the morning without any user activity I find it crashes with signal 6 after 5 hours.

mmmchen

Cadet
I have set up a fresh Jail and installed the pkg plexmediaserver (9.9.12).

Same here, it crashes with signal 6.
Sometimes after minutes, sometimes after hours....
Without any activity.

While I go through the media to select the correct meta data, no crash...

Is it normal that there are about 7 python tasks running?

Magnus33

Patron
Have you update freenas to 9.2.1.6?

I seeing no such issues with the updated plex and the updated freenas.

mka

Contributor
Yes. Updated to 9.2.16 ... today it crashed 6 times a day.

Magnus33

Patron
Sounds like your going to have to kill the lot and redo the plugin.
Its a pain but it seem your update didn't go as it should have.

panz

Guru
Always save the metadata in the Plex Media Server directory. Then restore that after jail deletion.

mmmchen

Cadet
I have updated to 9.2.1.6, mainly because I saw the issue.

Then I did set up the new jail with fresh plex, still the issue...

Basically, I did not change anything but the plex version in the first place (update to 9.9.12) and the issues started.

Has anyone any clue what could be possible reasons for this signal 6?

mmmchen

Cadet
Some days ago, I installed a new Jail with the pbi 9.9.7
It works without any issues, not even a single crash.

This time I moved the Metadata from the previous Jail to the new one :smile:

panz

Guru
Where are metadata stored? After initial enthusiasm, I found that I was doing it wrong to transfer the whole Plex Media Server directory from one machine to another one with different plugin version.

mmmchen

Cadet
When you have pbi installed, the plexdata is at
/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata

When installed from ports, it is at
/usr/local/plexdata

inside plexdata, there is only
Plex Media Server/

which contains all the Plex files.
There is also Metadata.

I basically copied the complete "Plex Media Server" folder, on the new installation used all directories, except the file "Preferences.xml" which contains the Plex online login keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.