Plex Media Server: How do I update the media library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitek

Dabbler
Howdy yall,
I have my FreeNAS set up and I'm also running the Plex Media Server plugin. When I installed it, it scanned the media library and added all my movies. This weekend, I added 3 new movies to my library, but I can find no way to tell the server to update the library. With "regular" PMS when I was running it on my machine, I could click the system tray icon and tell it to update, but have no idea how to do it in the plugin version. have tried setting it to update once a day and even once an hour inibrary settings, but I don't think that does the same thing because it certainly isn't adding my new movies.
How do I get it to update when I add media?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You might want to ask the Plex forums that question. Your question isn't really related to FreeNAS.

I just recently migrated plex to freenas from a windows machine. the windows machine did detect folder changes and update accordingly. and it was pretty good at it. I've selected the correct settings within Plex and I'm still experiencing the same issue. I personally don't mind it, but I have a non-techie user who uses the server more than I and its quickly becoming my problem.

I wonder that since this issue doesn't exist on windows with the same settings in Plex if that makes it a FreeNAS issue. ? I have a feeling it has to do with the jail/plex/whatever detecting changes to the directories. permissions maybe? [robably not since the Plex jail can read files from them to stream

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd say it's probably more Plex than anything else. The FreeBSD implementation has had some bugs to work out since it was released publicly. But again, it's something you'd have to clear up with the Plex guys. If I had to take a guess as to what the chances problems are with Plex, I'd say 50% Plex, 49% user error(there's MANY things that can affect other things that your average user will check/uncheck and never think about again), 1% a jail/FreeNAS problem.

Jails aren't special to FreeNAS. FreeBSD has had them for years and years. So this isn't some 1/2 baked thing created by the FreeNAS guys. There *have* been some implementation issues with FreeNAS because people wanted to do more advanced things than what iX had envisioned(and some flat out bugs in there too). But, until you can prove that it's a problem that can be proven to be on the jail or FreeNAS you aren't likely to get much help around here. :/

joeschmuck

Old Man
The issue is, as far as I know, with the porting of Plex to FreeBSD and the lack of implementing kqueue which is what detects file changes. Linux variants use inotify which is what I suspect how the Plex porting remained. So as Cyberjock stated, it's a Plex application issue, not FreeNAS/FreeBSD.

EDIT: You can setup Plex to automatically rescan your media after a selected period of time, you just need to look through the settings.

marcevan

Patron
I have Plex latest plugin running on my freenas 9.2.1.3.

In Plex server, go to settings and library. There are two main options for "automatic" and for periodic check of your library.

Ok choose what you want there but for a test click your home icon in Plex and you'll see 4 icons next to "My library". The 3rd is the refresh and you can drop down select either Turbo Scan (quick, default) or deep scan.

I would ask you to do a deep scan and see if that remedies your movies refresh issue. If it doesn't, but you feel you have the movies storage hooked up correctly for this plugin's jail, look at the new movies and make sure they are permissioned correctly.

The issue is, as far as I know, with the porting of Plex to FreeBSD and the lack of implementing kqueue which is what detects file changes. Linux variants use inotify which is what I suspect how the Plex porting remained. So as Cyberjock stated, it's a Plex application issue, not FreeNAS/FreeBSD.

EDIT: You can setup Plex to automatically rescan your media after a selected period of time, you just need to look through the settings.

That makes sense. its in line with the way I was thinking of it.

The library update settings in the web GUI are working fine for now. but it's only been a few days. There are other things I need answers on but I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.