FreeNAS 9.10.1 and Plex Media Server Plugin 1.1.3.2700

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnjordman

Dabbler
I've been running Plex on my Freenas box for about a year and a half now, and it has worked well with some minor hiccups along the way. However, it's recently stopped working entirely.

A couple weeks ago, either after a Freenas or Plex plugin update, the server started acting odd. I had to check the "Disables security" box for the plugin in order to access the server from both my home network and outside the home network, even though I was logged in to Plex on the server. It didn't seem like an ideal solution, but it worked.

Today, that checkbox was bugging me in the back of my mind, so I decided to disable it. Big mistake. Now I can't access the Plex server from either in my home network or from outside. When I try to connect using the server's local IP address and port, I just get a generic "unable to connect" page as if the server isn't even there. I can successfully ping the IP address of the Plex media server, though.

I've tried switching the plugin service off and on. I've tried enabling, disabling, and re-enabling that "disables security" plugin checkbox. I've tried restarting the jail. I've tried restarting the whole Freenas box. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here? Much appreciated

philhu

Patron
Plex 1.1 REQUIRES by default, secure access.
There is a place that stores locations you can use without secure access, like 192.168.1.0/24

dnjordman

Dabbler
It doesn't matter if that box is checked or unchecked; either way I can't access the server.

Edited to add: I've updated the plugin to version 1.1.4.2757 and the problem persists. If I try to connect when the jail isn't running, my web browser says that the connection has timed out. When the jail is running and the plugin service is off, an "unable to connect" message in my web browser. When the jail is running and the plugin service is on, I also get an "unable to connect" message. It seems like something about the service isn't running properly.

Last edited:

dnjordman

Dabbler
Does anyone have ideas about how to fix this? I still haven't been able to get it working.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Are you having trouble connecting with Plex clients or the web GUI?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
from the jails commandline can you ping your computer?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ok, sounds like networking works, do the issue is likely with the application.

you can confirm if the disable security box is being applied to the config at /var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml

does Plex do any security logging? maybe that would give some clues, and people on the plex forum might know better the possible application specific things that stop local access.

dnjordman

Dabbler
disableRemoteSecurity is set to "1", so it seems like that's working. I also have a post on the Plex forums, but no responses so far.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Ok, yeah I don't use plex not even sure what that does. maybe you can snoop around the folder I mentioned for a log file

dnjordman

Dabbler
Ok, yeah I don't use plex not even sure what that does. maybe you can snoop around the folder I mentioned for a log file

There are log files, but they don't shed much light on the problem from what I can glean from them. The log files are being updated, so Plex is running in some capacity, but there aren't any obvious messages in them that indicate what the problem is.

dnjordman

Dabbler
Just in case anyone experiences a similar problem, this happened because I enabled IPv6 support in the Plex web interface. Apparently, that shuts off IPv4 support. To fix it, just edit your Preferences.xml file and remove the EnableIPv6="1" property.

Status
Not open for further replies.