Plex Media Server and Jail networking issue

makaisson

Cadet
Hello all,

I've spent couple of weeks now trying to solve this on my own and with help of various arcane posts on the internet. Sadly with no luck, so now I'm posting in hopes that I will get assitance. So what I have done, and what does not work. My setup is a VM running on esxi with following vHW specs - 16GB+16TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 4 CPUs, 1 lan port, and running TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE. Windows shares work as they should, I have the user rights sorted out and working as expected. Now I'm trying to setup Plex Media Server on my box and I'm totally not having a good time doing it. I don't use IPv6 in my home. IPv4 addresses are handed out by router via DHCP.

Setting up PMS via default plugin setup screen (with DHCP ticked) results in failure with error message "Error: plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8 Stopped plex due to DHCP failure Partial plugin destroyed". No plugin / jail is created.

Setting up PMS via default plugin setup screen (without DHCP ticket and configuring adapter + IP + netmask) results in failure with error message "Error: plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: Stopped plex due to VNET failure Partial plugin destroyed". No plugin / jail is created.

Ok, when in doubt, choose advanced.

Everything default, but choosing NAT is a success, however, I can't access the PMS GUI unless I specify the port forwarding for jail. The problem is that after stopping the plugin, adding the port forwarding, attaching / mounting path with video content under /media, and starting the plugin, GUI is telling me to get the PMS under "Your Media". And of course the same is from any other Plex client.

I've tried setting the gateway and DNS under Network->Global Configuration; doesn't work. I tried switching the NAT off and DHCP on at this point, but it simply fails to start and tells "IPv4: DHCP (not running)". I've tried creating a test jail with DHCP, but that also fails to start with the same message. Setting the static IP results in success, however I have no network connectivity from it - DNS is not being resolved and I can't reach anything on my local network as well.

And I'm lost. Any ideas and tips would be welcome, because otherwise this is getting unecessarily complex.

sretalla