2 days & 6 hrs in, USB Boot Drive Failure

ibanman555

Cadet
Hello Helpers,

I installed FreeNAS 11.3 RELEASE on 8gb USB stick and a few days ago, and I have been working on backing up some files. Just a few hours ago, I am no longer able to access the Web UI, which concerns me, not to mention read errors on da12 which is my boot drive....

I have a large backup file transfer ongoing from a networked PC and it is still passing to FreeNAS, so I don't dare try and restart or reinstall until that appears to finish.

And, unfortunately, procrastination resulted in a lack of backup configuration database .db file. I am hoping to revert back to my system configuration and access my saved data, I just need help with clarification. I have a single pool of all 12 drives in Z3 array, and my understanding is that the config database automatically saves to that created pool, and upon a fresh install, I can recover my config using System>System Dataset, and mount my existing pool? Am I understanding this correctly?

Alternatively, without a backup config dB file, what would be the best way to at least re-establish my pool with a fresh install? Thanks for any guidance.

Dell R510 12 bay Z3
12 2TB Drives
32gb Mem
San Disk Crusier Blade 8gb Boot USB (never again)

I installed FreeNAS 11.3 RELEASE
You should upgrade immediately to 11.3-U2.1 if you haven't already. There exists a nasty bug on all versions of 11.3 prior to U2.1 where you can lose your entire pool. See the release notes if you're curious.

Alternatively, without a backup config dB file, what would be the best way to at least re-establish my pool with a fresh install? Thanks for any guidance.
If you can't get the db back; you can follow the User Guide to import your pools and set up your shares etc again. Depending on what you had set up it could be a bit onerous.

Also, if possible, I recommend you consider booting off SSDs. Two SSDs can be had for cheap and are much much more reliable than USB stick.

Yorick

Wizard
If you can't get the db back

See link above to get out of jail free. /var/db/system/config-xxxxx has it. Unless OP moved system dataset to boot drive ...

Seconded on SSD. USB sticks, particularly 3.0 ones, are prone to die.

ibanman555

Cadet
Thank you all for the guidance and help. Fortunately, after reboot, everything came back, and I promptly backed up the dataset. I have a lightly used M.2 drive I'll put in a 2.5 caddy, and use that as a boot drive asap. But until then I will mirror a duplicate USB stick.

I have a lightly used M.2 drive I'll put in a 2.5 caddy, and use that as a boot drive asap. But until then I will mirror a duplicate USB stick.
M.2 works great until you want that M.2 port for something that benefits from all that speed; such as a SLOG or L2ARC device. If you ever need those you can always move your boot device over to 2.5" SATA SSDs or something.

Yorick

Wizard
@PhiloEpisteme , sounds like a SATA M.2 in a 2.5" SATA caddy. Not NVMe M.2 in an M.2 connector.
Ah, I missed that; thanks.

ibanman555

Cadet
I am getting the same type of problem yet again, the terminal is showing "the web interface could not be accessed".

Files are still transferring the the FreeNAS server and I can ping the 2 ip addresses of the server from my PC.

I am sure once my files complete their transfer, if I restart FreeNAS again, I'll be in good shape.... Just wondering why this could be occurring. I will be replacing these USB flash drives with SSD drives asap for boot.