Getting corrupted data error in boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrost

Cadet
Hi all, I'm somewhat new to FreeNAS, I bought a couple FreeNAS Mini devices from IXSystems. One of them is just being used as a backup device and a couple days ago started giving me the error "The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected."

When I run zpool status -xv I get:

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h1m with 3 errors on Tue May 12 12:15:45 2015
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 3
ada2p2 ONLINE 0 0 6

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505100553@2015-04-14-10:49:32:/usr/local/www/dojo/dojox/gauges/GlossyHorizontalGauge.js.uncompressed.js
freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505100553@2015-04-14-10:49:32:/usr/local/www/dojo/dojox/gauges/GlossySemiCircularGauge.js.uncompressed.js
freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505100553@2015-04-14-10:49:32:/usr/local/www/dojo/dojox/geo/charting/resources/data/ContinentalEurope.json

Should I just delete these files and is it safe to do so? What other options do I have?

Appreciate any help.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Save your config, reinstall on a new boot device, import your config ;)

Bidule0hm

I suspect this boot drive has a problem as you have corrupted data. You can try with the same drive but I don't recommend that. You can always test the drive on another machine to see if it's ok or not ;)

Also I'm surprised that on a server sold by iXsystems the boot drive isn't mirrored, it's really a shame...

zrost

Cadet
I see, I was hoping it would just be software problem but if it may be hardware I'll open a ticket with iXsystems. I'll install the OS on a USB drive and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I suspect this boot drive has a problem as you have corrupted data. You can try with the same drive but I don't recommend that. You can always test the drive on another machine to see if it's ok or not ;)

Also I'm surprised that on a server sold by iXsystems the boot drive isn't mirrored, it's really a shame...

They do use SATA DOMs, though.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Some wild speculation...
  1. Numerous reports of corruption on USB sticks, leading to mistrust of said devices.
  2. Recent reports of problems getting a valid (checksummed) download of FreeNAS from freenas.org.
  3. This report of corruption on a SATA DOM
  4. New FreeNAS update system involving frequent downloads of system updates.
Hypothesis: corrupted system updates are being delivered to working systems and leading to the appearance of failed boot devices.

Am I crazy?

Bidule0hm

This is not possible, ZFS works at the block level.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Some wild speculation...
  1. Numerous reports of corruption on USB sticks, leading to mistrust of said devices.
  2. Recent reports of problems getting a valid (checksummed) download of FreeNAS from freenas.org.
  3. This report of corruption on a SATA DOM
  4. New FreeNAS update system involving frequent downloads of system updates.
Hypothesis: corrupted system updates are being delivered to working systems and leading to the appearance of failed boot devices.

Am I crazy?
Yes, right, OK, didn't think it through properly. Still, strange phenomena...

1. Crummy USB drives are really unsurprising, unfortunately. The market is a race to the bottom.
  2. Still seems to be a relatively isolated issue. Update packages have their hashes verified automatically, too, and nobody's complained about frequent issues with those downloads.
  3. Every drive is going to give you an error, sooner or later. I don't expect SATA DOMs to be as reliable as "real" SSDs or hard drives, at least the current crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.