Windows expects login/password on network link to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennis0034

Cadet
New to FreeNAS, and I'm bogged down in something that seems like it ought to be ease to resolve, but I'm stuck.

Trying to set up the NAS with 9.2.1.7 to allow full Guest access to a single share (no password required). My home network consists of a desktop running Windows Vista, a laptop w/Windows 7, and misc smartphones, networked DVRs, etc. (and of course the NAS itself). Used the manual and this blog post:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cifs-windows-sharing-guide.20948/

to set up user and group, CIFS shares, etc,. Have read enough of the forum posts to recognize I shouldn't worry that I can't set 'authentication model'.

Problem: When I go to my windows environment and try to click the NAS share under networks of Windows explorer, I immediately get a 'Enter Network password:' login/password prompt window (which I wasn't expecting). Nothing allows me to get beyond the window: <blank>/<blank>, guest/<blank>, guest/guest, root/<root password> all come back with 'access denied'.

Both Windows systems see the NAS computer, but I can't get into it from there. I have a Homegroup set up that allow my two PCs share public folders. I'm trying to get the NAS to look the same way (just another set of directories attached to the computers).

I haven't seen any other postings here that sound close enough to what I'm seeing, so I've created a new thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The "guest user" is technically defined as any user credentials that do NOT have a username that matches a user that can authenticate with FreeNAS. So if you want to be a guest, you should be able to login with a username and password that is nothing more than randomly hitting some keys on the keyboard.

Additionally, you can be denied access despite allowing a guest user access if the guest user has no permissions. Giving a guest user permissions (via ACLs) and giving a guest user account access (via authentication) are two separate mechanisms. Windows is so disgustingly ugly that you can't tell which one you are hitting (you could even be hitting both).

Anyway, the only good advice I can give is to check our ACLs and check Windows. Windows is notorious for trying a bunch of logins "behind the scenes" and you won't be any the wiser.

To be honest, you're better off trying to get CIFS working on linux or FreeBSD from the CLI first so you can rule out Windows being a misbehaving child that is responsible for your problems.

tennis0034

Cadet
The "guest user" is technically defined as any user credentials that do NOT have a username that matches a user that can authenticate with FreeNAS. So if you want to be a guest, you should be able to login with a username and password that is nothing more than randomly hitting some keys on the keyboard.

Additionally, you can be denied access despite allowing a guest user access if the guest user has no permissions. Giving a guest user permissions (via ACLs) and giving a guest user account access (via authentication) are two separate mechanisms. Windows is so disgustingly ugly that you can't tell which one you are hitting (you could even be hitting both).

Anyway, the only good advice I can give is to check our ACLs and check Windows. Windows is notorious for trying a bunch of logins "behind the scenes" and you won't be any the wiser.

To be honest, you're better off trying to get CIFS working on linux or FreeBSD from the CLI first so you can rule out Windows being a misbehaving child that is responsible for your problems.
Thanks -- need to internalize a little what you said here -- and have to think about how I might get a separate linux or unix box to do what you suggested to rule in or out the Windows side of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.