How to get a CIFS admin(pswd) and guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
So.. I'm new to FreeNAS, and getting the hang of it.. somewhat..

I've read the documentation and user guides etc..

I cannot manage to get a windows CIFS, share to work as expected.
What I'm trying to do essentially is as with any other store bought NAS. I want some of my shares to be guest access with no password required and on the other hand I want some password protected to different users.

I've tried creating a new user and/or group and assigning privileges to this person, but it will not ask me for a password on windows, it just denies me access, as soon as I remove guest.
I also cannot seem to get my windows credentials to be associated with a user account on FreeNAS

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Have you created users and changed the permissions of the Dataset accordingly?

upload_2014-12-14_20-47-11.png

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Have you created users and changed the permissions of the Dataset accordingly?

View attachment 5825

what is the Depasse part referring to? Is that a workgroup? domain? Is it required?

Once I've made a user, that matches the windows user logon and password it wont allow access, and if I put it to any other username and password windows isn't asking me to enter login credentials.

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
yes, sorry, it's my domain name. but you would just pick your user and group names from the drop down list.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
I've just started from scratch again, creating a mirror RAID 1 volume (nothing was on it anyways)
Created a windows CIFS share, I just can't figure out how to get windows to request log-in credentials for shares.
the only way i can get access to a CIFS share is to Allow Guest Access, and then theres no restrictions on who can access and modify data..

I also tried modifying the share access through windows and deleting all users except the user I wanted, it still wouldn't ask for log-in credentials

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Did you create a dataset before you created the share? Did you change the permissions of the dataset? The share just presents it, the dataset is what enforces the permissions.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Did you create a dataset before you created the share? Did you change the permissions of the dataset? The share just presents it, the dataset is what enforces the permissions.
actaully I haven't created a dataset.. that could be the issue lol..

does the dataset name need to match the CIFS share name?
Creating a data set right now

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
No, the dataset name can be anything you want. When you create the CIFS share, you will enter the path to the dataset.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
PS - nice sig block. very festive!!

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
OK so I've created a dataset, and then made a CIFS share based on the path of the dataset.
Guest mode off and can't access in windows.

Attachments

• cannot access.png
    cannot access.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 235

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
is this how my drives and dataset should look or does it contain two data sets?

I think a dataset was automatically created last time, perhaps when I created the share

EDIT:
okay, confirmed a dataset is autocreated once I created a mirrored volume

Attachments

• drives and dataset.png
    drives and dataset.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
If you followed the wizard, then a dataset was created. Can you click the Change Permissions link that is displayed and post that pic?

PS - You can just paste the snip into the thread (rather than saving the snipping as a file and attaching it).

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
If you followed the wizard, then a dataset was created. Can you click the Change Permissions link that is displayed and post that pic?

PS - You can just paste the snip into the thread (rather than saving the snipping as a file and attaching it).

Thanks for the tip.

so here is the change permissions on the dataset, before I have created a CIFS share.
upload_2014-12-14_22-0-9.png

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
And a pic of the CIFS share? Confirm the path is set to /mnt/RobFreeNAS.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
upload_2014-12-14_22-7-16.png

my permissions for the dataset FYI are not my login credentials for windows. Although I've tried that also

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
upload_2014-12-14_22-14-23.png

This is what happens if I try to access it without guest mode on.

No problems accessing it and creating a folder with guest mode on

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
I think the issue might be on windows side?
upload_2014-12-14_22-20-39.png

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Ideally all I'm trying to do here, is that I want the main directory/share accessible by everybody on the network but then I'd also like to have folders within that share or perhaps even outside of it that require a username/pswd to access them.

For example on my WDMyCloud I have:

MoviesandTV accessible by everybody and my folder "Robert" is password protected.

upload_2014-12-14_22-24-44.png

Status
Not open for further replies.