'guest' no longer a built-in user - Does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
This problem arose the first day I set up my FreeNAS server on 9.2.1.5. I have only just noticed it and I wonder if there is a way of correcting it or, indeed, whether anyone thinks it matters?

When I set up my server with CIFS guest access I failed to notice there was a built-in guest user so I added one, which acquired UID 1002 but I managed somehow to get the built-in GID of 31. This user worked perfectly well as a CIFS guest user with no password though I am not sure how, as it is impossible to set up a user able to login but with no password from the GUI. Perhaps because both my share permissions and my MiniDLNA jail used the GID. But perhaps because 'no-password' login is actually on the CIFS share properties in the GUI, though I have no idea how this property is implemented.

Anyway, recently I discovered this problem. I first tried to delete my UID 1002 user, but the built-in user was not regenerated, presumably having been erased from the config db file I am using. Then I set up a 'guest' user with the same UID (31) as the built-in, no home directory, password login permitted but no login shell. I had to use pw on the CLI to give the user a blank password.

Everything now seems to work OK, but the one thing I can't change is the property "built-in user = false". Does anyone think it matters that my guest user is not now on the list of built-in users?

I realise I could reset the config and start again, but I really don't want to!

D

dlavigne

Everything now seems to work OK, but the one thing I can't change is the property "built-in user = false". Does anyone think it matters that my guest user is not now on the list of built-in users?

If it's working, don't knock it :smile:

rogerh

Guru
Thanks, that is a reassuring thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.