How to get a CIFS admin(pswd) and guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Does FreeNas prompt you for credentials?

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
FreeNAS itself "the computer" shown in /network doesn't ask me for credentials. When I click on the share "RobFreeNAS" instead of asking for credentials I get:
upload_2014-12-14_22-28-2.png

Unless guest access is on.

Another thing I have noticed is that the chosen password doesn't seem to stick in the freeNAS web interface.. May this have anything to do with the user and "create home directory in"? currently i have home directory set to: /nonexistent

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Create 2 different shares:

Public: enable the guest access and tie it to a dataset that you want everyone to have access to.
Private: create another dataset just for the restricted access, change the permissions to the group of users who should have access. create a CIFS share and disable the guest access.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
So whats really the difference between creating new datasets and creating new shares? because I can also create new shares right now and they can appear the same way as datasets, and even if I create a new dataset for some reason it appears like a directory and shows in the windows explorer without me even creating another CIFS share for that new dataset

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Datasets are where the actual data resides, where permissions get set and quotas, snapshots and replication are handled.
Shares are how you provide access to datasets to external users.
And of course you could use windows to create folders inside the shares.

It wouldn't make sense to provide guest share access to the same dataset that you also provide restricted access to. Because if you are given unauthenticated users read/write access, why bother forcing users to login.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Datasets are where the actual data resides, where permissions get set and quotas, snapshots and replication are handled.
Shares are how you provide access to datasets to external users.
And of course you could use windows to create folders inside the shares.

It wouldn't make sense to provide guest share access to the same dataset that you also provide restricted access to. Because if you are given unauthenticated users read/write access, why bother forcing users to login.
When you make a folder inside the share using windows, I assume this just resides within the same dataset then, and it doesn't create another data set? and I assume it goes by the same rules as the parent share and the same permissions as the dataset upon which it is based?

Also I can't seem to allow guests to have write privileges?

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
correct, not a new dataset. correct.

Confirm that guest is the dataset group owner.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Last edited:

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
I seem to have a rogue folder (an old dataset that I have deleted).
It's still visible in the directory when I create a CIFS share, anyway to remove this dataset that was already deleted? It doesn't show in the volumes/storage.. only when I create a share it's listed in the directory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.