Folder Within A Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSLilAce

Cadet
*insert xzibit meme here*

Hello all, I'm a new user on the forums (this is my first post). I'm also very new to FreeNAS and most of the technologies it employs.

I'm having an issue figuring out how to set up CIFS shares. My intended directory structure is as follows:

-A "Main" folder that is accessible only by a local user, and within that folder is a "Guest" folder, accessible by both remote guests and local users.
-The "Guest" folder will not need to be password protected, however the containing "Main" folder will need to be.

So far I've made a guest and local user account (let's just call it "local" for now); the guest account doesn't have a password and the local does. I've made two shares, one named "Guest" and one "Main", corresponding to the folders with the same names. In the "Main" share I've set it so that the guest account is denied access; in the "Guest" share, the guest account is in the "allow" host list. I have enabled the FTP, CIFS, and SSH services. Here's where it gets slightly annoying...

I can access my files using Filezilla and the local user account from within the same network. However I can't access just the Guest folder using the guest's account in the same way.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, as this is the first time I'm setting up a home FreeNAS. (I'm not even sure if this is possible to do heh heh...)

Is it even possible to have the shares and folders set up in this way? Or do I need to have completely independent folders for each share as to not "confuse" FreeNAS (and myself)?

Thanks in advance!

**EDIT**

I've been tinkering a bit more, I changed the structures so that the Guest folder is now separate from Main. I added a guest password ("guest"). I was able to access the folders through SFTP on FileZilla. However, the guest account is still able to access the Main folder. Is there a way to restrict this?

Also, I am able to access the "Main" share through Windows (Map network drive) using the local account, but not with the guest account. I cannot access the "Guest" share at all with either account. When I attempt to, I get the error message "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password".

HSLilAce

Cadet
Okay, I think I have the CIFS issue figured out at least. Looks like the folder name for the Guest share was too long.

It might be helpful to note that in order to try the guest account when accessing either share, in Windows 7 I checked the "Connect using different credentials" box. I don't know if this is the proper way to do it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It might be helpful to note that in order to try the guest account when accessing either share, in Windows 7 I checked the "Connect using different credentials" box. I don't know if this is the proper way to do it.

It is depending on your local credentials on the Windows machine, the credentials on the FreeNAS server, the permissions on the share you are trying to access, and some other settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.