Login access issue with folder permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

engmsf

Dabbler
Freenas 9.1.1 (same issue happen when I was in 8.3.1 P2 prior to upgrade)
ZFS Dataset
Windows (CIFS) Shares

common folder Allow guest access to anyone
hidden folder Require login and password

If access through my Windows computer over the network the hidden folder first, then I can access the common folder next. I have no issues here.

If access the common folder first, then I try and access the hidden folder next, I would get a error trying to login.
"\\freenas\hiddenfolder is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. ..........."
I would like to map the common folder and have it available to everyone's computer. However if I map the common folder, I can not access the hidden folder. I have unmap and log out of the Windows computer, and re-login.

Whattteva

Wizard
This is how CIFS behaves. Windows generally only allows 1 share identity to the same server. I'm not sure if the enterprise version of Windows circumvents this limitation, but all the ones I've used so far behave in this way.

You can use the command:
Code:
net use
to list currently existing shares and use:
Code:
net use driveletter: /delete

to get rid of entries you don't want.
This will eliminate the need for you to log out to clear out shares.

Krutet

Dabbler
It's extremely annoying and I would call it a bug in windows and for me the net use trick never works.. :-(

I'm using muCommander to browse cifs share as a different user than the mapped share user.

Another trick is to have two users with different shares mapped then you can switch rather easily between mapped folders by just changing users without the need for logout.

engmsf

Dabbler
Thanks Whatteva. The net use delete works. However when I do that it deletes my automatic common mapped drive when I re-login again.

Krutet, yeah I agree this is supper annoying and thought I was doing something wrong on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.