SOLVED How to manage home directories for Windows users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szernex

Cadet
Solved
Turns out the solution was to connect the home shares using NASNAME\username as login, not just username... derp.

So, first of all I'm totally new to FreeNAS and network related stuff in general. I don't really know what exactly I should search for, so if this has been answered already I apologize, and please link me to the right thread.

My situation is the following: Say I have 2 users at home, both are using Windows (7) machines. On those machines they have their user accounts, but without passwords. I want to have a "private" home directory for both of these users on the NAS, ie a directory only that user can connect to and other users not being able to see/write into that directory.

What I tried so far is:
  • create a "home" dataset set as Windows share type with owner "root", group "nobody" and permission type Windows
  • create 2 users on the NAS with names that correspond to the Windows users, with passwords and their home directories set to "/mnt/Data/home/{username}"
  • added a Windows CIFS share pointing to "/mnt/Data/home" which is set to "use as home share"
The result is:
  • user 1 is on their machine, logged in to the Windows user (without password)
  • they can see the NAS in the network, and when they click on it they are prompted to enter the login credentials
  • after logging in they see both a share "{username}" and "homes" which both link to that users home directory on the NAS
The issue is: Windows doesn't remember those login credentials after rebooting, so if a user maps their home directory the connection is always lost after rebooting.

So my question is: Is what I'm trying to achieve possible without requiring all users to have a password set on their local Windows accounts?

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard
So my question is: Is what I'm trying to achieve possible without requiring all users to have a password set on their local Windows accounts?

Passwords exist for a reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.