Recommended place for home directories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
I'm a little bit confused about where I should be putting my Users home directories in a ZFS filesystem. Should they be part of the share or should the share be in the home directory or should the home directories be completely separated?

I realize there probably isn't a one size fits all solution, but I'm curious if there are any best practice recommendations.

paleoN

Wizard
As you said there isn't any one solution. If you elaborate more on your setup and what you are going for you will likely get some suggestions.

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
Well my plan was to have 6 shares and 2 users.

2 AFP shares for time machine backups, one for each macbook.
4 CIFS shares,
  • 1 for windows backup
  • 1 for my share
  • 1 for my girlfriend's share
  • 1 for a common share accessible by both users

My thinking was that each of these shares should have their own Dataset so they can be assigned a quota. I just don't know where the home drives fit into this scheme.

Once I upgrade to 8.2 my plan is to have torrents go into my share and the UPNP media server share the relavent directories in each of the shares.

paleoN

Wizard
If you elaborate more on your setup and what you are going for you will likely get some suggestions.
Or you could get no suggestions.

Your setup sounds fine. I would have the home directories separate or have the shares under them. I would probably put the torrents on their own Dataset rather than in your share. I'm assuming you are using quota's on yourself to help keep track of the used space?

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
I am using Quotas mainly to keep the automated back ups from becoming too large. Time machine will use as much space as it can, and I think you can manage the space used by Windows backup a little bit more, but I am not positive.

Is it wise to nest datasets in other datasets? For instance if a have /home/ dataset for the home drives, can I nest a /home/user1/share, /home/user1/torrents and /home/user1/backup datasets inside them? Does it work just like traditional file system mounts?

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
Anyone have any more input on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.