Cannot access CIFS share through Windows 7 explorer or by typing in //ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbosa

Cadet
Hello. I've read many posts here and to be honest, most of the things people are trying to do is beyond me. I followed a simple tutorial on how to set up a NAS. I turned my notebook into a NAS and I'm using a USB key to run the FreeNAS 8.0.4. Everything went as planned. Installed, assigned a static IP to the NAS in my router and then continued to set up a gui login name and password, create a CIFS share and activate my services.

Voila, just like the tutorial said. I could view the CIFS share in windows explorer. I could initially click on it and it would take me to the share name, click on it, and then it would allow me to read the contents, which were obviously blank. But when trying to copy something from my PC to that share, it said "access denied". After tweaking for hours, now I can't even get into the share anymore because it asks me for a username and password and everything I provide says it's incorrect.

Big question is...my share is at 192.168.11.25. But when I try typing //192.168.11.25 nothing happens. Wont connect. And now when I try to access the CFI share through windows explorer, it asks me to login, which doesn't many any sense because I never set up a username/password.

I do not want to do anything fancy except have a local area network NAS. Is there anything you can think of to help me?

Thank you very much!

praecorloth

Contributor
For getting to your share via IP, use the other slash. \\192.168.11.25

To get your share to not bug you to log in, go to the CIFS share properties and make sure Allow Guest Access (and possibly Only Allow Guest Access) is checked. Then go to Storage, Volumes, and select Change Permission on the volume you're sharing. Make sure Read, Write, and Execute are checked for Owner, Group, and Other. This should allow you easy access to your NAS.

I feel I should warn you, however, that this will leave your NAS wide open. Anyone connecting to your network who finds it will be able to browse it. But this gets you up and running right now. If you want to learn more about locking it down, there's all sorts of fun to be had playing with users and permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.