Wake On Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure. You'd have to find them and ask them. Quite often the manufacturer doesn't take input from the community. They write and provide the driver and it's a one way street. You use the driver or modify it but the manufacturer doesn't care about what you have to say.

Ankur Pande

Cadet
Hi Shogoki,
my N54L is waking via WOL with the built-in NIC.

1. Installed the official FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 not the patched one from vanni
2. Downloaded the only patched driver if_bge.zip --- from http://vannhi.fr/index.php
3. Then follow these steps in a root shell on the server
1.mount -uw /
2.copy if_bge.ko to /boot/kernel
3.Create a new tunable if_bge_load with value YES in the web interface
4.reboot
5.check WOL_MAGIC in ifconfig bge0

Best Regards,
/joe

Pardon my butting in like this... I'm trying to achieve a WOL on my HP Microserver N54L which has the 9.2.1.6 FreeNAS.

I've managed to do the above and WOL_MAGIC in ifconfig bge0 shows
========================================================================================
[root@ASP_HPNAS ~]# ifconfig bge0
bge0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=c2099<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
inet 192.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.xxx.xxx.255
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
========================================================================================

What does the above mean? Is WOL_MAGIC working on the 9.2.1.6 ? Can I start the server using WOL?
Also, how do I do this using my iMac or iPhone?

My apologies once again if I've hijacked this thread... please pardon this noob and kindly be gentle :).

unca_NAS

Explorer
EDIT: 9.2.1 working now with tunable (Freenas 9.2.1.7)
Had a typo in NIC's MAC :(

Last edited:

Max Kowalski

Cadet
Fresh installation (i did it yesterday)

FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p15 (FREENAS.amd64)
Patch installed
Tunable added
and
[root@hp-nas] ~# ifconfig bge0
bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=c019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
ether c8:cb:b8:c5:30:d0
inet 192.168.0.215 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
Still doesn't working.

Any toughs ?

justinus

Cadet
For FreeNAS 9.3 and HP ProLiant N54L 7Generation it works as descriped here:

http://martin.leyrer.priv.at/y2014/m08/Waking_up_and_shutting_down_FreeNAS_on_demand.html

and maybe as descriped in the threads above:
1. I downloaded the NAS4Free-Iso
2. with Linux mount the ISO to any folder (e.g.
mkdir iso-folder
mount NAS4FREE-ISO.iso iso-folder
cd ./iso-folder/boot/kernel
cp if_bge.ko.gz ../../../
then unpack the if_bge.ko.gz, in Fedora it works by double-click
with scp just copy the if_bge.ko to the FreeNAS Device.
sudo scp if_bge.ko 192.168.0.3:/boot/kernel
then i connected to the FreeNAS via ssh
ssh root@192.168.0.3​
and I changed the rights to the same as all the other files were.
chmod o+x if_bge.ko
chmod g+x ...
chmod o-w
chmod g-w (or similar)
And make this new tuneable
Variable: if_bge_load
Value: YES
Type: Loader
Comment: Wake On Lan
Enabled: yes
And then reboot your system, then shut it down and try to wake it up via LAN.

The Attatchment is the file from the NAS4Free.iso.

Attachments

• if_bge.ko.gz
    33.2 KB · Views: 507

sluggy

Dabbler
I updated today from 9.2.1.7 to 9.3 and then used the gui to upgrade to the latest version before addressing the WOL.
For the first time I have, so far, been unable to get the WOL to start as the WOL_MAGIC is not added.
The tuneable was still present after the upgrade but as mentioned in the link of the previous post, if_cxgbe appeared to be loaded (that has nothing to do with bge though as deleting the module made no difference).

I updated the if_bge.ko file to the one I was using in 9.2, the one attached above then the latest from NAS4Free but even though the module got loaded, there was still no WOL_MAGIC.

I deleted all of the if_bge versions and the cxgbe and the network still worked (I do have a second network card in the box without WOL support so no danger of not being able to fix it if it didn't boot...hopefully). I think that means the module is in the kernel now? 'kldstat -v' shows these in the kernel which look similar and no other loaded modules that looked similar.
104 pci/bge
103 bge/miibus

Do I now have to recompile the kernel? I had a go once before and never finished, time to revive that effort.

Last edited:

sluggy

Dabbler
Having fought this WOL issue for so long, it does just seem easier to jump ship and go to a distribution that does support it... It isn't just the bge that is not supported but also my intel card (that does support WOL when installed on a windows machine and is also now in the kernel).

Max Kowalski

Cadet
Thanks @justinus it worked to me. Now im able to do WOL_MAGIC. But after upgrade into the latest version i've lost all settings even if i've followed the instruction with conf backup. After full re-installation WOL still working but im not able to connect machine into the Domain (W2K8 R2)

I've lost so many time struggling with this Software :(
I need to figure out how to solve the problem.

justinus

Cadet
I have HP ProLiant N54L. And it was a new installation of FreeNAS 9.3.

With the native if_bge support in the native kernel it does not work. I am not sure, if there is a /boot/kernel/if_bge.ko or not after installation. But for some reasons some if_bge.ko work and some don't work. So I used that one from the Link above (Post from 17. Dec. 2014).

Domain-Stuff with an FritzBox-Router works. In the last time the "other than Windows"-Support with microsoft-Software was very bad by some reason. I had a lot of trouble with that.

sluggy

Dabbler
I tried a few other distros (nice to have a few spare pendrives), but ended up back at FreeNAS again, having to press the power button every time rather than configure everthing again.

Then I tried running kldunload on the loaded driver and then reloading it again. It didn't help and the system locked up. I rebooted and it got stuck during the boot with some bge issue. Then a further reboot got all of the way in and for some reason, the WOL_MAGIC was enabled. All that tells me is that it does work (as Justinus and Max already said). I wouldn't have a clue what the real fix was but it is possible to get an upgraded system working with WOL again. I hope it wasn't a one-off.

Jay MJ

Cadet
I have HP ProLiant N54L. And it was a new installation of FreeNAS 9.3.

With the native if_bge support in the native kernel it does not work. I am not sure, if there is a /boot/kernel/if_bge.ko or not after installation. But for some reasons some if_bge.ko work and some don't work. So I used that one from the Link above (Post from 17. Dec. 2014).

Domain-Stuff with an FritzBox-Router works. In the last time the "other than Windows"-Support with microsoft-Software was very bad by some reason. I had a lot of trouble with that.

I'm also running this setup, WOL is not supported by default in the latest version (and no bge ko file included). I'm not really interested in WOL, but am willing to test drivers if it helps.

seibax

Dabbler
i am running HP N36L and have the same problem, i think if_bge.ko is not loaded, how can i check this??
tunable is added and i changed manually loader.conf...

seibax

Dabbler
after i unloaded the if_cxgbe.ko* module and rebooted, now the patched bge ko module is loaded and everything works fine... very strange...

Gari

Cadet
Hi there!

If you take if_bge.ko from Nas4Free > rev1316, WoL works perfectly!

How to get "if_bge.ko" is in detail described in this thread before, just download the latest Nas4Free ISO find it in "/boot/kernel" and copy it to your FreeNAS installation

See also http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5916&sid=1e9ce713c4c3c9f1ebb9dddf79af3b2a&start=50, there is said that within Nas4Free "rev1316, wol patch added to 9.3.0.2 with upstream bge driver"

It works! That's great!

Cheers,
Gari

Last edited:

joesflow

Cadet
Hi,
the attached driver works with FreeNAS 9.3 and the most recent updates installed via the new webinterface installer.
It is the one from the NAS4Free-x64-LiveCD-9.3.0.2.1349.iso pulled from of the /boot/kernel folder.

Installing is still the same process no extra manual unloading of kernel modules necessary.

Open a shell

mount -uw /
copy if_bge.ko to /boot/kernel
check that the if_bge.ko has the same rights as all the other kernel exts in the folder
check that you have created new tunable if_bge_load with value YES in the web interface
reboot

done.

Attachments

• if_bge.ko.zip
    51.4 KB · Views: 430

sluggy

Dabbler
Having got the WOL to work back in January I had to revert to an older version of 9.3 thanks to CIFS being broken by an update until recently. WOL worked on that old version. I upgraded when CIFS was working again and, surprise, the if_bge.ko driver will not load. Yes it is in the correct directory, the permissions are correct and the tuneable is unchanged from the previous working version.

I have deleted the if_cxgbe.ko driver that seemed to help before and rebooted many times. Nothing seems to get the module to load again. A manual attempt:

kldload if_bge.ko
kldload: can't load if_bge.ko: module already loaded or in kernel

Since kldstat says it isn't loaded, it is being blocked from loading by the one in the kernel.

After the kldload attempt, dmesg reports:
module_register: module bge/miibus already exists!
Module bge/miibus failed to register: 17
module_register: module pci/bge already exists!
Module pci/bge failed to register: 17

Those modules are in the kernel, not the ones I am trying to load.

I know there is a way to get it to load the module as I did it before but I can't figure it out this time. There must be a way to get it to register before the one in the kernel?

Orrin

Cadet
Same issue here as Sluggy, anyone already got a solution?

Edit: I've got it working, I used the file in the attachment and used the following commands:

mount -uw /
mv LOCATIONOF/if_bge.ko /boot/kernel
chown root:wheel /boot/kernel/if_bge.ko
chmod 555 /boot/kernel/if_bge.ko
kldunload /boot/kernel/if_cxgbe.ko (<-- Without this it won't work)

You can see that it directly works without reboot using the command:
ifconfig -m bge0 (there you will see WOL_MAGIC within the options)
Also after multiple reboots it keeps working.
Hope this helps for other people.

Attachments

• if_bge.zip
    50.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

sluggy

Dabbler
No improvement for me.
As I said, I had deleted (ok renamed) the if_cxgbe.ko driver so it wasn't getting loaded. I even renamed it back so that it did get loaded at boot and then unloaded it. No change as the if_bge.ko still will not load in the first place due to using the one in the kernel.

sluggy

Dabbler
And then applying the latest FREENAS update caused it to spring into life with MAGIC restored.

xaibex

Patron
I can confirm that the if_bge0.ko from Orrin on Apr 13, 2015 still works with latest 9.3 Updates (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506042008) on HP Microserver N40L

Status
Not open for further replies.