IS there wake on Lan client functionality or plugin for freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthax

Explorer
hey guys

i've got my freenas running on a hp microserver nl40 and I'm wondering if there is a wake on lan client to send the magic packet to my workstation.

freenas is on 24/7 but this way i could start up my workstation to rdp home.

onthax

Explorer
i'm chasing something that runs on freenas, not windows

not trying to start my freenas box remotely.

trying to start my windows workstation from my freenas box.

ProtoSD

MVP
You can try this, it depends on whether your network card in your FreeNAS system supports WOL.
You also need to make sure you have the plugin jail installed properly.
Open a shell prompt from the GUI and do:

Code:
jexec `jls jid` csh
pkg_add -rv wakeonlan
rehash

wakeonlan -i 192.168.1.255 00:aa:11:bb:22:cc

Replace the IP and MAC address with the ones for your windows system.
I haven't tested this, but it should work.
Don't try to install this outside the jail, it depends on perl and will probably fill up your flash drive and crash your system.

ProtoSD

MVP
Oh, there's also a large discussion in the German section of the forums on WOL which you could use google translate to view. I haven't looked at it myself, but I know its been going on for awhile.

ProtoSD

MVP
If you get it to work, you can also play with waking it from the internet by enabling port forwarding of UDP port 9 to the destination computer in the router's administration webpage.

Afterwards to issue the wake up command you can use websites such as http://wakeonlan.me, Android applications (Wake on Lan) or any other Wake-on-LAN applications.

onthax

Explorer
If you get it to work, you can also play with waking it from the internet by enabling port forwarding of UDP port 9 to the destination computer in the router's administration webpage.

Afterwards to issue the wake up command you can use websites such as http://wakeonlan.me, Android applications (Wake on Lan) or any other Wake-on-LAN applications.

Cheers, will give that a bash, couldnt get the wol from internet working on my router. figure i will just ssh into my freenas and wol my windows box from there.

onthax

Explorer
You can try this, it depends on whether your network card in your FreeNAS system supports WOL.
You also need to make sure you have the plugin jail installed properly.
Open a shell prompt from the GUI and do:

Code:
jexec `jls jid` csh
pkg_add -rv wakeonlan
rehash

wakeonlan -i 192.168.1.255 00:aa:11:bb:22:cc

Replace the IP and MAC address with the ones for your windows system.
I haven't tested this, but it should work.
Don't try to install this outside the jail, it depends on perl and will probably fill up your flash drive and crash your system.

the jexec failed with 'jls jid' not found.

ahh well. with the perl warning, i've got 473MB free on boot usb stick. how much to do you think is required (i could find a bigger stick around)

ProtoSD

MVP
You probably used the wrong quotation marks for the command. If you copy and paste what I posted it will work.

A larger usb stick won't help, FreeNAS partitions are fixed in size and you can't repartition them or expand, it has to be in the jail. Any free space on the partition is needed by FreeNAS for logs, settings, and reports.

onthax

Explorer
You probably used the wrong quotation marks for the command. If you copy and paste what I posted it will work.

A larger usb stick won't help, FreeNAS partitions are fixed in size and you can't repartition them or expand, it has to be in the jail. Any free space on the partition is needed by FreeNAS for logs, settings, and reports.

Yup, you were right, used the wrong quotations,

Now i get the error

pkg_add: package 'perl-5.12.4_4' conflicts with perl-5.14.2_2
pkg_add: please use pkg_delete first to remove conflicting package(s) or -f to force installation
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'perl-5.12.4_4' failed!
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed

Handy to know about the freenas partition

am I ok to remove perl or will this affect my plugins or freenas install?

Status
Not open for further replies.