Wake On Lan WOL with Supermicro C7Q67 and 2x Intel NICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhaakonnen

Dabbler
Hi,

I already posted some comments in this threat:
http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?541-Is-there-a-Wake-On-Lan-functionality

But I think that this is not a real noob question and I really need some help in getting wol working. I have no idea what I can do...

As I postet in the other threat I have a Supermicro C7Q67 that doesn´t support an auto-wake function directly in the bios. So I want to write a cronjob to power the system down and wake it up via wol in the morning.

The nics are Intel 82579LM and 82574L chips that freenas recognizes as Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection.

ifconfig -m lists wol compatibles:
capabilities=1399b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWT AGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MA GIC,VLAN_HWFILTER>

But how can I use this?

I have tried some things:

With commands like "ifconfig em0 wol_magic" and "ifconfig em0 wol" I can enable wol for my network cards.

Same tests: I shut down the nas via "shutdown -p now" and try to wake up the system from a ubuntu linux again (with "etherwake" and some things like "wakeonlan -i 192.168.100.10 00:30:48:XX:XX:XX"

I could configure three different ways to power on the system via wol: WOL_MAGIC, WOL_MCAST and WOL_UNICAST. I tried them in different combinations.
WOL_MAGIC > no boot ->> not working
WOL_MAGIC,WOL_MCAST > boots direct after shutdown (without any command to boot the system) ->> not working
WOL_MAGIC,WOL_UNICAST > doesn´t wake up the box

The best way - the magic packet - is not working. With Multicast my system directly boots up (some network traffic seems to do this automatically in my network). Unicast doesn´t seems to do anything at all.

So - how can I power on the system with magic packet? :/ Any Ideas?

Thanks! :)

vanhaakonnen

Dabbler
Is there maybe a NIC thats definitely supports WakeOnLAN for PCI or PCIe? Than I could buy an extra network card only for WOL... :/

Dutchy

Cadet
It doesn't work for me neither although I have a different nic.
I think it might be driver related because my desktop has the very same symptoms: it works but not after the os has been booted and shutdown again (i.e. it only works with the hardware in a fresh state and only cutting the power and/or resetting the BIOS makes it wake up able).
For my desktop (which also has a realtek nic) I had to install a custom driver (it is running FC15) in order for wol to work.
I guess the FreeBSD drivers also somehow disable wol.

Dutchy

Cadet
It's a Realtek 8111E

roberto

Dabbler
Ok, thank you. I read in some other posts, you need to set some WOL state before shutingdown the system. I don't know yet, but if I'll found, I'll post for you!
Cheers,

Roberto

Tino

Cadet
Same troubles with a RT 8111e on a AT4NM10T-I . If someone has a solution or make some progress in this case, woud be nice to post it here.

Someone has a PCI Express Network card on Freenas who is running wol?

vanhaakonnen

Dabbler
I also tested with another pc with a realtek PCI network card. I can enable wol in the software... but I can´t power on the machine. Something is completly not working here. I would buy a new ethernet-nic - but nobody who tried wol can wake the machine up until now ... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.