Wake On Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macom

Cadet
Hi,

still have problems with WOL. I am on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506042008.
Mainboard is ASRock Q1900DC-ITX. When I shutdown the system, the LEDs on the Networkport are not blinking. Here is my ifconfig:
Code:
ifconfig -m re0
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
capabilities=8399b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
inet 192.168.xxxxx netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.xxxx
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
supported media:
media autoselect mediaopt flowcontrol
media autoselect
media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol,master
media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol
media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,master
media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex
media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol
media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
media 100baseTX
media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol
media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
media 10baseT/UTP
media none

Somebody who has an idea what the problem is?

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

xaibex

Patron
Hi,

still have problems with WOL. I am on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506042008.
Mainboard is ASRock Q1900DC-ITX. When I shutdown the system, the LEDs on the Networkport are not blinking.

Sounds to me like you have not activated Wake-On-Lan on BIOS / EFI. LEDs of the Network port definitely should stay green.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you also don't get the lights if the driver for the hardware tells the NIC port to turn off versus going into the WOL mode.

There's so many possible externalties to what could cause problems that this is why it's basically a "use at your own risk" feature. It may or may not work, and it may stop working or may start working on an upgrade with no warning. :P

Macom

Cadet
I actually found a second setting in the BIOS for the WOL, thanks xaibex (the previous one was probably to boot from LAN, but is actually also labeled as "enable WOL")
And yes, the lights do not go on, that is why I almost gave up, but then I tried anyway...
surprise: it is working: thanks cyberjock:)

birt

Dabbler
This did not work for me with the onboard LANs of an ASRock C2750D4I. Installed if_bge (fetched latest from NAS4Free), removed if_cxgbe, network was still working but WOL_MAGIC didn't magically show up. I ended up disabling the BIOS option and scripting stuff via IPMI instead.

Arwen

MVP
This did not work for me with the onboard LANs of an ASRock C2750D4I. Installed if_bge (fetched latest from NAS4Free), removed if_cxgbe, network was still working but WOL_MAGIC didn't magically show up. I ended up disabling the BIOS option and scripting stuff via IPMI instead.
For my FreeNAS Mini, (also a ASRock c2750D4I), I always planned to send the power on command to the IPMI. Works good.

In someways, WOL is for desktops. Servers that have IPMI don't need it.

birt

Dabbler
For my FreeNAS Mini, (also a ASRock c2750D4I), I always planned to send the power on command to the IPMI. Works good.

In someways, WOL is for desktops. Servers that have IPMI don't need it.

I completely agree. I was adding WOL to some other things on my network and figured it'd be a good idea to add it to FreeNAS box as well. After tinkering with it for some hours and failing to get it working, it occurred to me that IPMI is a much better way to handle that; once I started working on that, I got it working in less than 15 minutes.

Bottom line: if you have IPMI, don't bother with WOL.

joesflow

Cadet
Hi, here an update for those using a HP Microserver N54L having updated to the 9.10-STABLE train:

Please use the attached unzipped "if_bge.ko" from the latest NAS4Free Image.

open a root shell on your FreeNAS box e.g. via the web interface

• mount -uw /
  • mv if_bge.ko /boot/kernel
  • chown root:wheel /boot/kernel/if_bge.ko
  • chmod 555 /boot/kernel/if_bge.ko
  • check that the if_bge.ko has the same rights as all the other kernel exts in the folder
  • check that you have created new tunable if_bge_load with value YES in the web interface
  • reboot

done.

Attachments

• if_bge.ko.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:

proto

Patron
Hi,
thanks joesflow.
It's working fine on my N36L.

wilder

Cadet
Hi, i have a HP Proliant DL585 G5 with support WOL, where i installed freeBSD 10.2. First i enabled wol in the BIOS, then i run "ifconfig bce1 wol wol_ucast wol_mcast wol_magic", but it didn't work. Which patch i should apply ?.

root@unasa:/usr/home/wilder # ifconfig -m bce1
bce1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=c01bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
capabilities=c01bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
ether 18:a9:05:56:c3:3c
inet 190.40.74.142 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 190.40.74.143
nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
supported media:
media autoselect mediaopt flowcontrol
media autoselect
media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,master
media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex
media 1000baseT mediaopt master
media 1000baseT
media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
media 100baseTX
media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
media 10baseT/UTP​

Thanks !!!

Last edited:

koerni

Dabbler
  • check that you have created new tunable if_bge_load with value YES in the web interface
  • reboot
done.
I did all steps of joesflow post, but stumble on the last one. Can someone explain this for me?

Edit: solved the above problem: I added a tunable within the "Parameter" setting under system. But it still does not work.

Ifconfig tells me WOL_MAGIC is loeaded. Any ideas where to continue?

Code:
ifconfig
bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
  options=c219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>

Last edited:

xaibex

Patron
This method does not longer work for me with latest FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5).

9.2 and 9.3 worked well in the past.

Now i get the following messages and the kernel extension can not be loaded.

Code:
Feb 19 11:58:08 nas module_register: cannot register bge/miibus from if_bge.ko; already loaded from kernel
Feb 19 11:58:08 nas Module bge/miibus failed to register: 17

Kernel seems to have and use some miibus kernel extension. anyone ideas how to fix this?

xaibex

Patron
This method does not longer work for me with latest FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5).

Solution found, thanks a post on PC-BSD Forums
The kernel seems to already have some included driver for if_bge. Therefore you have to fool your freenas and rename the Kernel extension if_bge.ko from Nas4Free.

I renamed it to if_bge_wol.ko
Code:
mv /boot/kernel/if_bge.ko /boot/kernel/if_bge_wol.ko

and changed the tunable parameter to "if_bge_wol_load"

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
Xaibex, thanks for this! Just what I needed.

Anyone: currently (this will change) my FreeNAS box is an rsync target that I wake up with a WOL packet at 4AM and shut down with a cron job at 5AM. Usually backups are quick but occasionally the box gets shut down before one finishes. What's the best way of automating shutdown when the rsync has finished? (given that we don't have a sleep-on-lan packet:))

xaibex

Patron
you can make a cronjob that is looking for rsync with the command "ps" and if it is not present execute a shutdown

something like:
Code:
if [ ! "ps cax | grep rsync" ] ; then shutdown ; fi

but test it with this first:
Code:
if [ ! "ps cax | grep rsync" ] ; then echo "shutdown" ; fi

Darkne0

Cadet
Hello Everybody!
I decided to use the FreeNAS project to build my own NAS from an old computer. And... WOL does not work for me neither. My motherboard (ASUS P5W DH DELUXE) is not recognized as WOL compatible on the ifconfig.
Ad for HP users in the first page, is there any way to get the FreeBSD driver working for my motherboard (I am new linux user, and very very new in FreeBSD!).
For people wondering "How do you know it can work?", I used to try the samba server through ubuntu (and WOL worked, just has to edit the shutdown file), I tried the XPEnology and it worked alos (but for stability reasons, I'd rather use the FreeNAS project).
Other thing, my networks are identified as msk0 and msk1 (it used to be eth0 and eth1 on linux), don't know if this can help...

Thanks a lot for your help, as WOL is really the very top first function I need for my NAS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
Update: I'm finding WOL a bit frustrating. Worked again after the last fix above and seems to work reliably from EtherWaker app on my Android phone, but, with my Synology box sending a WOL packet 5 mins before backup, the backup failed again last night (always because the target wasn't available). I'm going to increase the delay before the backup starts but not convinced it's that -- I did have a failing disk once which caused long startups but not now (I haven't timed it).

Xaibex, I thought I could use the one liner above, thanks again, but I found that rsync stays running (doh!), so it's always found even if inactive.

Currently my Synology is waking the FreeNAS box with this scheduled task at 4AM

/usr/syno/sbin/synonet --wake <mac address> eth0

and my NL54 FreeNAS shuts itself down at 5AM. Maybe I should give up and have a timed boot on the NL54 with an rysnc cron job that shuts down at the end and no need for any WOL from the Synology? BUT... IT SHOULD WORK! And it used to work.

I know this isn't really a FreeNAS problem but WOL capability does matter.

xaibex

Patron
Hello Everybody!
I decided to use the FreeNAS project to build my own NAS from an old computer. And... WOL does not work for me neither. My motherboard (ASUS P5W DH DELUXE) is not recognized as WOL compatible on the ifconfig.
Ad for HP users in the first page, is there any way to get the FreeBSD driver working for my motherboard (I am new linux user, and very very new in FreeBSD!).
For people wondering "How do you know it can work?", I used to try the samba server through ubuntu (and WOL worked, just has to edit the shutdown file), I tried the XPEnology and it worked alos (but for stability reasons, I'd rather use the FreeNAS project).
Other thing, my networks are identified as msk0 and msk1 (it used to be eth0 and eth1 on linux), don't know if this can help...

Thanks a lot for your help, as WOL is really the very top first function I need for my NAS.
This fix is dedicated to the Broadcom Ethernet Adapter of the HP. (if_bge)
Your Asus Board have some Marvell Controller, so you schould try module if_msk from Nas4Free/FreeBSD with tuneable if_msk_load="YES"

Status
Not open for further replies.