Wake On Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

armando

Dabbler
Hello everyone, I have a hp microserver N40L I installed version 8.3.1 of FreeNAS and everything works fine, but when I go to run the wake on lan from a remote pc hp server does not start, I know for sure that the card network supports wake on lan fully, because before I had a distribution of CentOS where he mingled the FTP service and the wake on lan working properly. Now I ask you: it may be that the drivers for the network card under FreeNAS need to be updated? And if you like I do? Thanks to all

Last edited by a moderator:

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
You _may_ need to manually enable wol:

ifconfig re0 wol wol_ucast wol_mcast wol_magic

It is also possible it is just not supported under FreeBSD

I'm not sure re0 is your interface, so look it up.

armando

Dabbler
I tried the command ifconfig bge0 wol wol_ucast wol_mcast wol_magic but to no avail, I try to post the output of ifconfig bge0:
Code:
bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=c019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
        ether a4:11:5j:f2:12:ea
        inet 192.168.0.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Yeah, looks like the FreeBSD driver does not support wake on lan, not much you can do about it.

armando

Dabbler
'm not very good with FreeBSD can you tell me if there is an updated driver for this card? HP is a 107i the manufacturer is Broadcom

vannhi

Dabbler
Hello,
I have the same trouble, and it seems possible. I managed to find out a patch for bge driver for WOL support. I even rebuilt the bge module with the patch (if_bge.ko). However, I don't know how to use this patch. I'm thinking of:
  • Rebuild the kernel: so, making a custom image of freenas just for N40L. I don't like this solution because it seems complicated.
  • Finding a way to disable bge module on kernel on freenas boot and load the patched driver instead. However, I don't know if it's possible.
Do you have any idea?
Thanks,

armando

Dabbler
Your idea seems feasible, but I'm not very good with FreeBSD, can you post the link where you found the driver left patched? I also do tests and if Risco place the resolution, in order to share the solution with those who need it.

thanks

vannhi

Dabbler
This is where I found the patch: http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2974

I managed to use to patch driver by using FreeNAS tunables. ifconfig shows me WOL_MAGIC on options & capabilities. However, WOL still doesn't work (I tried ifconfig bge0 wol and ifconfig bge0 wol_magic). It seems we need to switch the card to some states before shutdown in order to get it work. I wonder if I will buy an Intel network card.

OdiYan

Cadet
try the attached if_bge.ko and post the results
  1. mount -uw /
  2. copy if_bge.ko to /boot/kernel
  3. Create a new tunable if_bge_load with value YES
  4. reboot
  5. check WOL_MAGIC in ifconfig bge0
driver build in FreeBSD 8.3.1 64bit,
working for me in HP NL36 FreeNAS 8.3.1
OdiYaN

Attachments

• if_bge.zip
    33.1 KB · Views: 747

vannhi

Dabbler
I did exactly the same thing with my own if_bge.ko. WOL_MAGIC shown in ifconfig bge0 but it does not wake up with magic packet. My driver built in FreeBSD 8.3.0 64bit, since my FreeNAS is in 8.3.0.
I will try with your if_bge.ko.

vannhi

Dabbler
Someone has driver for FreeNAS 9.1? I built my own within FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 but it ends up not working at all :(. I don't understand where I did wrong.

D

dlavigne

Have you tried using it WOL in 9.1 yet for that card? It is possible that that functionality was added to the 9.x driver.

vannhi

Dabbler
Yes, I tried it and it didn't work. The WOL feature does not show in options & capabilities with ifconfig -m anyway.
Seems like it will be added in 9.2

D

dlavigne

Probably not, as 9.1.0 is based on STABLE which is just a few weeks shy of being FreeBSD 9.2.

szurke

Cadet
This driver is working fine for me under latest stable 9.1.0. The method is same (copy if_bge.ko to /boot/kernel, etc...)
I catched the driver from the latest 9.1.0.1.804 NAS4free release

Attachments

• if_bge.ko.gz
    33.2 KB · Views: 750

Vazzer

Dabbler
I've been waiting for this patch since I bought my N36L way back when! Every now and again I've googled it just to see if there's an update and here is this post that I've been after. I've just tried the posted patched driver and followed the instructions and it works a dream.

Thank you so very much!

Just for info:
HP Microserver N36L (AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo N36L Dual-Core Processor)
FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452)

semo

Cadet
Sorry to hijack but I also want to be able to remotely boot my FreeNAS box. I tried the driver attached by szurke but it hasn't helped much (I can now seen the WOL_MAGIC option in ifconfig but still can't remotely wakeup)
I use a slightly newer microserver

FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64 (dff7d13)
AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
The onboard network card is Broadcom / NC107i

Status
Not open for further replies.