Wake On Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaibex

Patron
Update: I'm finding WOL a bit frustrating. Worked again after the last fix above and seems to work reliably from EtherWaker app on my Android phone, but, with my Synology box sending a WOL packet 5 mins before backup, the backup failed again last night (always because the target wasn't available). I'm going to increase the delay before the backup starts but not convinced it's that -- I did have a failing disk once which caused long startups but not now (I haven't timed it).

Xaibex, I thought I could use the one liner above, thanks again, but I found that rsync stays running (doh!), so it's always found even if inactive.

Currently my Synology is waking the FreeNAS box with this scheduled task at 4AM

/usr/syno/sbin/synonet --wake <mac address> eth0

and my NL54 FreeNAS shuts itself down at 5AM. Maybe I should give up and have a timed boot on the NL54 with an rysnc cron job that shuts down at the end and no need for any WOL from the Synology? BUT... IT SHOULD WORK! And it used to work.

I know this isn't really a FreeNAS problem but WOL capability does matter.
Are you starting your Backup job from your Synology or your FreeNAS?
I would experiment how to detect the Backup job with ps. Or try to run the Backup job from FreeNAS itself with a script, which shuts down FreeNAS when the job is finishend.

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
Backup tool (hypervault) is running from the Synology. Yes, I've considered just running an rsync job from FreeNAS with a script, but also somewhat minded to just wait and see if FreeNAS 10 works any better. I have two issues really: reliable wake up and timely shutdown. More of an annoyance than a life or death issue as I always get an email notification of the result. It's not a question of the WOL packet not working at all. It works sometimes. I changed the Synology task to send 10 packets last night. It worked. Not so much WOL as WTFU.:)

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
Update: since I made the change mentioned in my last post my N54L has been roused from its slumber four nights in a row at the appointed hour. Fingers crossed it continues.

sluggy

Dabbler
And now the fun begins in FreeNAS corral on the HP microserver.

After the upgrade, the bge driver showed no MAGIC WOL capability.
Put the NAS4FREE 10 or 11 (identical) driver in the /boot/modules directory instead of the kernel directory and it loaded OK with the same tunable but still with no MAGIC. Need to check whether that fix is in their driver still?
Has anyone else had success with this yet?

Orrin

Cadet
And now the fun begins in FreeNAS corral on the HP microserver.

After the upgrade, the bge driver showed no MAGIC WOL capability.
Put the NAS4FREE 10 or 11 (identical) driver in the /boot/modules directory instead of the kernel directory and it loaded OK with the same tunable but still with no MAGIC. Need to check whether that fix is in their driver still?
Has anyone else had success with this yet?

Already got a solution? upgraded yesterday and also no WOL again .... :-(

sluggy

Dabbler
OK, after 2 weeks WOL is working correctly with the posted file for many backups on my N40L.

I also learnt a lot more about FreeBSD in the process so that is a positive even if nobody else uses it.

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
Well, I held off on Corral for two reasons: I

1. Simply didn't buy that it was ready. It had a huge purge of bugs, pushed into the SU1 release, apparently to meet the release date; bit of a red flag there.
2. Wanted to know the WOL capability was working.

Still a bit shocked to see how it's panned out, and how poorly the customer communications has been managed (with the download left up and no blog post). What with Ubuntu Unity going for a long walk on a short pier that's two high profile casualties in a short time. I managed to dodge both by sticking with FreeNAS 9.10 and moving to Linux Mint respectively.

Still steering well clear of Windows 10 (likely forever).

sluggy

Dabbler
Not sure if anyone is still worried about WOL on microservers but (as much so that I store the information somewhere handy for me) the if_bge that I posted a couple of messages back works with FreeNAS-11 as it is built on FreeBSD-11 but you have to revert to putting the file in the /boot/kernel/ directory instead of modules. Just put in both if you can't remember which!

Last edited by a moderator:

fgs

Cadet
Still am. I had "WoL" properly working software wise for my N54L under v.9.3. I'll be sticking to v.9.10 for a while and last time I tried, did *not* work following the driver files + instructions posted here.

So, can you confirm which is still working for v.9.10? Thank you.

sluggy

Dabbler
You should still be able to use the one from #88.
I expect it only needs a change when you move to a version based on a different FreeBSD version.

Shark88

Dabbler
I tried the file from post #106, but I cant get my HP server with FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE to wake on lan. It worked with the releases before. Does the file need to be recompiled for 11.1?

sluggy

Dabbler
Shark88, did you put the file from #106 in /boot/kernel (/boot/modules worked for corral but not 11)?

Shark88

Dabbler
I put them both at /boot/kernel and /boot/modules, just to be safe . But still, the WOL does not work anymore. I did not change my tunnable setting, since it worked like this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.