UPS for FreeNas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhademik

Explorer
Hi everyone,
I'm a new here and i try my best to look up all the information before starting any thread. So here is the question and i'm appreciate all yours helps.

As far as i know NAS suppose to run 24/7, any power problem could caused really bad situation for the NAS and for the valuable data inside. So i would love to have a UPS for my treasure data, and luckily in FreeNAS has an option to turn off the whole system if the NAS run on battery (UPS); i just wanna know do i need to buy a specific UPS brand so i can run that option or any UPS will do? Cause i'm in Vietnam, and in my country it's not easy to buy stuff on newegg or ebay etc. So if any of you've ever used any of the UPS that works on FreeNAS please let me know. I want to have more than one option so i can try my best searching for that in the country. Thanks for your time and sorry for my English since it isn't my mother tongue.

Whattteva

Wizard
I use this one, CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD, and so far it has served me well.

Whattteva

Wizard
Those seem like they'd probably work. The main difference of the one I listed is just much higher capacity (1000 VA). Pictures are not too clear, but you should make sure it has USB input.
Whichever one you get, you should verify these things on the specification sheet:
  • Input voltage matches your country's outlet (220-230 V for Vietnam, I'm guessing)
  • Power cable matches your country's wall outlet
  • USB connection (for automatic shutdown in case of a power outage)

Akhademik

Explorer
Those seem like they'd probably work. The main difference of the one I listed is just much higher capacity (1000 VA). Pictures are not too clear, but you should make sure it has USB input.
Whichever one you get, you should verify these things on the specification sheet:
  • Input voltage matches your country's outlet (220-230 V for Vietnam, I'm guessing)
  • Power cable matches your country's wall outlet
  • USB connection (for automatic shutdown in case of a power outage)

Means, any UPS with USB connection will do the trick? or do i have to install anything else?

Whattteva

Wizard
From my experience, the USB connection is all you need.
FreeNAS has a bunch of drivers pre-loaded for various UPS types so you should not need to install anything else.

Akhademik

Explorer
Wanna dig up this thread.

I tried my best in my town and this one has an usb input.
Here is the specs: http://www.santak.com/productDetail.aspx?id=8

04112012013_1351994483.jpg

but when i checked it up on http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html there is no name of the company so how can i know this one will work and will shut my server down whenever it on battery mode? In our country we don't have the thing call money back etc, so you buy if it doesn't work you still have to keep that.

Whattteva

Wizard
Ah, I'm not too familiar with compatibility, unfortunately.
Dlavigne or one of the FreeNAS core dev team probably can answer you better.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you don't have a brand and model the advice you are likely to get is try them all until it works or you run out of choices.

Akhademik

Explorer
If you don't have a brand and model the advice you are likely to get is try them all until it works or you run out of choices.
Wow, that one cost me about 300usd. if that one doesn't work i have to spend another 400usd ... i want to spend money wisely. maybe i've to start a hunt for used ups on the net and hopefully get a decent one .

Whattteva

Wizard
I wouldn't give up on it yet. Just try all the drivers listed on the FreeNAS drop-down menu and monitor /var/log/messages for relevant messages.
I believe you can go to the web GUI Settings tab -> Advanced -> check "Show Console messages in footer" box.
This will allow you to monitor changes with the system at the bottom of the web GUI screen (If you click on it, you'll get a larger screen displaying the messages).
If the log indicates that FreeNAS detects it, then you're good.
Chances should be pretty good that it's supported by at least one of the dozen or so drivers listed on the drop-down menu.

Akhademik

Explorer
I wouldn't give up on it yet. Just try all the drivers listed on the FreeNAS drop-down menu and monitor /var/log/messages for relevant messages.
I believe you can go to the web GUI Settings tab -> Advanced -> check "Show Console messages in footer" box.
This will allow you to monitor changes with the system at the bottom of the web GUI screen (If you click on it, you'll get a larger screen displaying the messages).
If the log indicates that FreeNAS detects it, then you're good.
Chances should be pretty good that it's supported by at least one of the dozen or so drivers listed on the drop-down menu.
When the freenas accept my ups what they are going to say in that console messages? And how can i test that service? Just take of the electricity cable out of the ups? How many minute later the freenas will be shutdown? I can't give up because in my country the electricity quite unstable.

Whattteva

Wizard
Go to Services page and configure the UPS there and turn it to ON.

I'm not at home now so I can't really check, but if it works, I believe it should say something like:
  1. UPS state DOWN (when you lose power)
  2. UPS state UP (when you regain power)
Also, when you plug in the USB cable into the computer, it should also say something in the console messages if it detects it.

Dusan

Guru
When the freenas accept my ups what they are going to say in that console messages? And how can i test that service? Just take of the electricity cable out of the ups? How many minute later the freenas will be shutdown? I can't give up because in my country the electricity quite unstable.
You can test the communication by running upsc [ups_identifier] from the CLI. You set the UPS identifier on the UPS settings screen the GUI. upsc will poll the status of the UPS server.
The easiest way to test the shutdown is just to pull the UPS cable. The default FreeNAS configuration is to initiate shutdown 30 seconds after UPS reports switching to battery.

Akhademik

Explorer
You can test the communication by running upsc [ups_identifier] from the CLI. You set the UPS identifier on the UPS settings screen the GUI. upsc will poll the status of the UPS server.
The easiest way to test the shutdown is just to pull the UPS cable. The default FreeNAS configuration is to initiate shutdown 30 seconds after UPS reports switching to battery.

My UPS to be doesn't have on the support list. That's the problem :(

Akhademik

Explorer
I look up but see no name of the provider (Which is Santak) but i think i will give it a try cause this model have an usb connection. Hopefully i will work

Status
Not open for further replies.