UPS over usb-to-serial adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripialos

Dabbler
Hi guys

Just a quick, important for me , question.

I wanna buy a UPS for my FreeNAS box but my issue is that my atom motherboard does not have any serial ports. Most UPS i can afford to buy have only serial ports so may question is:

Do you think FreeNAS will recognize my UPS if i connect it with usb-to-serial cable?

Thanks

JaimieV

Guru
You might be lucky. You might not. Many USB-serial adapters simply don't work with many bits of kit, enough so that it's generally considered rather surprising when it does.

Remember that if your power tends to go out for a couple of minutes, not having a "power down" signal isn't important - the UPS will ride your NAS over the outage.

tripialos

Dabbler
Roger that

i will play safe and buy a UPS that comes with a usb connection, i found one allready with 55 euros,

Thanks!!

EugeneA

Cadet
I have been trying to use this usb serial adapter with a UPS, I couldn't get it working, it simply doesn't recognize the UPS. Not sure if the problem is the adapter or if Im doing something wrong.

JaimieV

Guru
Eugene, try using the same adapter with a Windows box with the UPS-maker's software talking to the UPS.
If it works there, go back to FreeNAS and try some more.

EugeneA

Cadet
hmm...good idea, I will try that. Maybe I will be able to at least exclude some problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.