Upgraded to 9.3 and getting WARNING: Firmware version 19 does not match driver version 16 for /dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
You are asking good questions, Ray. I have been around here a while now. However, I am just now learning about all of this p16 nonsense just this week.

mjws00

Guru
OK. Here is the quick and dirty version with all the files necessary. If you want verbose... read one of the many excellent links already on the thread. As always flashing firmware can brick your card. Read some warnings somewhere, then suck it up and proceed.

First Get your SAS address and take a pic or write it down. It's on the card. Something like 500605B 019039493

Don't type the single quotes they just show the command.
Stage 1 (DOS). Wipe the M1015

1. Build a Dos Boot USB. Rufus is included for your convenience.
2.Copy the files to the USB.
3.Boot from the USB into dos.
4.Run 'megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin'
5.Run 'megarec -cleanflash 0'
6. Reboot (to EFI shell).

Stage 2 (EFI SHELL) Flash card as 9211-8i p16 IT Mode
1. Boot the EFI shell
2. Mount the USB 'fs0:' (might be fs1 on your board)
3. Run 'sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin'
4. Run 'sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605b<your actual address no spaces or hyphens>'
5. Reboot. You are done.

Attachments

• M1015 CrossFlash p16.zip
    2 MB · Views: 909

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Very good write up! Your post should be put in the how-to section.

T0M

Cadet
Thanks for the excellent write-up. Three questions:

1) Do you need to execute stage 1 if you already flashed the M1015 HBA to IT-mode in the past? (I'm on firmware 15 apparently)
2) Will you need to disconnect your harddrives before flashing the new firmware?
3) I remind reading two years ago that you needed to take out any other M1015 prior to flashing. Is this still needed as you specify the address in stage 2 step 4?

mjws00

Guru
If the card is already on p15 just stage 2 number 3 is necessary. You don't even need the options and it won't ask for an address. Probably works with the built in sas2flash in freeNAS as well but I haven't done it.

I have done drives connected or removed them. Doesn't matter. I've read of flashing multiple cards simultaneously but too conservative to confirm. I'm a 1 card kinda guy. Drives out in paranoid mode.

T0M

Cadet
If the card is already on p15 just stage 2 number 3 is necessary. You don't even need the options and it won't ask for an address. Probably works with the built in sas2flash in freeNAS as well but I haven't done it.

I have done drives connected or removed them. Doesn't matter. I've read of flashing multiple cards simultaneously but too conservative to confirm. I'm a 1 card kinda guy. Drives out in paranoid mode.

Thanks! I'll take the paranoid route most likely as I have two M1015 sitting in the motherboard so I assume I need to do both step 3 and 4 of stage 2.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I too went from P15 to P16. I performed all the steps. I may or may not have needed to.

Flashing one card at a time is simply so you don't eff up and flash the wrong card.

If it were me, I would disconnect the drives. I would only have one m1015 installed. I have found that a bit of paranoia is not always a bad thing.

Scharbag

Guru
I just flashed a V13 IR SAS2008 HBA to V16 IT. Used a DOS USB boot volume. IT firmware cannot be installed over IR so you have to erase the ROM first with a sas2flsh -o -e 6 command. Then load the new IT firmware.

Cheers,

Ray Milyard

Patron
Well new card came yesterday. It looks like LSI SAS2008 controller on it. So using mjws00 info and files from above should be fine? I might do this tomorrow or Thursday.

xnaron

Explorer
OK. Here is the quick and dirty version with all the files necessary. If you want verbose... read one of the many excellent links already on the thread. As always flashing firmware can brick your card. Read some warnings somewhere, then suck it up and proceed.

First Get your SAS address and take a pic or write it down. It's on the card. Something like 500605B 019039493

Don't type the single quotes they just show the command.
Stage 1 (DOS). Wipe the M1015

1. Build a Dos Boot USB. Rufus is included for your convenience.
2.Copy the files to the USB.
3.Boot from the USB into dos.
4.Run 'megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin'
5.Run 'megarec -cleanflash 0'
6. Reboot (to EFI shell).

Stage 2 (EFI SHELL) Flash card as 9211-8i p16 IT Mode
1. Boot the EFI shell
2. Mount the USB 'fs0:' (might be fs1 on your board)
3. Run 'sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin'
4. Run 'sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605b<your actual address no spaces or hyphens>'
5. Reboot. You are done.

Thanks for posting this. One thing I noticed that is different from this older how to guide ( http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ )
Convert LSI9240(IBM M1015) to a LSI9211-IT mode
Type in the following exactly:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
<reboot, back to USB stick >
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom (sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin if OptionROM is not needed)
sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)
<reboot>
Done!

is that you aren't including the mptsas2.rom in your flashing of the 2118it.bin to the card. Is this not required?

thanks

mjws00

Guru
Yes. We exclude the boot rom. It boots faster and we don't need it. Use a pch port for booting. If you want it... it won't hurt anything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In fact, the boot ROMs have caused problems that were subsequently solved by getting rid of them. They're useless in IT mode, unless you desperately want to boot from SAS.

xnaron

Explorer
I am flashing this from my x10sl7-f motherboard. I followed the stage 1 in the instructions without issue. I booted into UEFI shell and attempted to flash the firmware and I got an error (adapter selected is an LSI SAS: SAS2308_1(D1) this is obviously the onboard adapter. The flash did not proceed as the firmware did not support the target adapter. I think I will need to specify the target ID somehow or perhaps flash this in another system?

update:
Looks like there is an option to choose the adapter by index (-c x) or by pci address (-cpci x) ... still researching...maybe I can disable the onboard lsi in the bios

update:
found this
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/x10sl7-f-and-flashing-m1015-to-it-mode.20666/

Got it!

Last edited:

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Yes. We exclude the boot rom. It boots faster and we don't need it. Use a pch port for booting. If you want it... it won't hurt anything.

I think it is WAY nicer without it. It is annoying when you are trying to get into the bios but you have to wait for the card to do its thing first.

Scharbag

Guru
You can disable the boot rom from the card's setup util right?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can disable the boot rom from the card's setup util right?

Don't think so, but you can disable it in most server BIOSes. If it's there and it's working, no need to bother with removing it, it's more of a problem if there are multiple controllers in the system and multiple boot ROMs. They all stop talking and all Hell breaks loose.

mjws00

Guru
There aren't many options at that level. Burn a fresh USB, use a different way to burn the usb so you have a different dos flavor, try a different version of megarec. Throw it in a different box.

Short of touching the box, it is pretty hard to help on this low level stuff. But it isn't unusual for mobo's to have their personalities and quirks. Not many of that older intel board around here. You haven't hit the card yet, you have a DOS problem to fix. Rufus is an extremely common known good quantity, but there are other options. Here is another easy way to write a bootable usb.

You'll probably have to just 'work through it' but we'll help where we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.