Upgraded to 9.3 and getting WARNING: Firmware version 19 does not match driver version 16 for /dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I have found just the opposite. I flashed the card in a dell server that can't use the card. It has been working great in my supermicro board that won't flash it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
@9C1 Newbee, did you try using the EFI flash tool? It worked perfectly for me with the X9SCL board--I can't believe the X9SCM is that different.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I was told it would do it via EFI. I don't know how to do it. I tried the DOS method.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I will try that method next time. Would be better than yanking the card.

mjws00

Guru
It should be like my Intel board. Wipe from dos (megarec). Flash from EFI. It will throw the PAL error flashing from dos

mjws00

Guru
Follow one of the guides in your thread here. It is a two stage process on your board. The dos megarec commands to wipe the 1015. Then boot to UEFI to flash p16 firmware. It will throw an error 'PAL system error' if you try to do it all under dos as per some of the older guides. It is a little scary if you are worried about bricking the card and it bails and fails on ya.

Once wiped the card will flash nicely from the UEFI command line.
Have a usb stick with the sas2flash.efi utility. and the p16 firmware.

change to >fs0:
>sas2flash -o -f 2118IT.BIN ** we don't need boot rom.
>sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605b[THE REST OF YOUR ADDRESS WITHOUT HYPHENS]

Last edited:

Ray Milyard

Patron
Follow one of the guides in your thread here. It is a two stage process on your board. The dos megarec commands to wipe the 1015. Then boot to UEFI to flash p16 firmware. It will throw an error 'PAL system error' if you try to do it all under dos as per some of the older guides. It is a little scary if you are worried about bricking the card and it bails and fails on ya.

Once wiped the card will flash nicely from the UEFI command line.

Little worried about having right files etc. Also not sure which guide. Seen on other forums other have messed up cards pretty easy. So yes little worried about it. I am still waiting for second card. Coming from China. Figures. I have all my movies on the drives and it's a lot so don't have them backed up due to size.

mjws00

Guru
If I get a chance, I'll throw you up a package with the exact files. Don't really like re-typing walkthroughs that are up in dozens of places. It isn't that bad, but I'll admit I have huge disdain for the process, in addition to running OLD versions of firmware. However, it is the right thing to do in this case.

Ray Milyard

Patron
If I get a chance, I'll throw you up a package with the exact files. Don't really like re-typing walkthroughs that are up in dozens of places. It isn't that bad, but I'll admit I have huge disdain for the process, in addition to running OLD versions of firmware. However, it is the right thing to do in this case.

If you can that would be great! I have this new card coming that I will flash and test. If it works out then do the other after.

Ray Milyard

Patron
I do have a question. Isn't P19 a newer version firmware than P16? So with this error I am guessing I have P19 installed now and was fine with 9.2.x but for 9.3.x I need to downgrade firmware?

mjws00

Guru
Nope. It wasn't fine in 9.2 they just didn't flag the problem. Actually the downgrade is easier than the crossflash. No card to wipe you just run 'sas2flash -o -f 2118IT.BIN' from the EFI shell with the p16 rom and you are done.

Ray Milyard

Patron
The new card is coming in IR mode so I need to flash it to IT mode then do the firmware I am guessing then?

mjws00

Guru
The first megarec wipe, kills all traces of it being an IBM card. The LSI IT firmware checks to see what's up and won't install without that part.
Once the card has a 'clean slate' so to speak. Then we just use sas2flash to add the firmware we want. The card will think it is an LSI 9211-8i, so the LSI utils are happy to run.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Thanks guys sorry about all the questions. Learning something new here and would like to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.