9.3.1 Update with alert Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumee

Explorer
I updated by freenas system to 9.3.1. An alert is popping up " Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0".

The motherboard is Supermicro X10SL7-F. Is there anyway to fix this error? My understanding was that firmware 16 was the most stable firmware.

Thanks

pclausen

Patron
Seeing the same thing:

freenasLSI20.PNG

So before I take the system down and begin upgrading the firmware on my controllers to version 20, can someone please confirm that version 20 is now considered safe/stable and switching to it is the right move?

denningsrogue

Dabbler
I can only tell you my experience. I got the same warning so I flashed my m1015 to version 20. No issues on the flash. On reboot, I received a critical error to the effect that the status of my 2 RZ2 volumes (each comprised of 6 - 4TB drives) was unknown. The volumes were inaccessable. I reflashed to v16 but the critical error remained. Data inaccessible. I reverted to my pre upgrade snapshot. Made no difference. I detached one volume (the replication target of the other volume) with the hope of importing it to solve the problem. After the detach, no option to import the volume. Panic sets in. In desperation, I re-flash to version 20 and miracle of miracle the volumes are back. I have no explanation for it. Basic functionality has been restored but replication isn't working however that is tomorrow's (correction -- later today's) problem. A very unpleasant experience.

denningsrogue

Dabbler
If anyone has a suggestion as to how to get replication working again, I'd appreciate it. Right now I am thinking of detaching the replication volume, marking it as new and starting over again but I am now second guessing everything I do.

denningsrogue

Dabbler
Sorry about the double post -- its been that kind of night.

pclausen

Patron
Appreciate the feedback. I think I'll hold off on upgrading the firmware until I see some additional feedback regarding this. Glad you were able to get your volumes back!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The only info in the changelog (http://download.freenas.org/9.3.1/latest/ChangeLog) is regarding the mpr driver going to p9

Code:
#10862 Feature Nice to have Update mpr driver to version 9
#10908 Feature Important add alerts for mpr 12 gbps HBA firmware mismatches

However there's a note under bug#6678 (https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/6678#note-15) from jpaetzel:

Code:
The next SU will have driver v20.

So it looks like the P20 firmware mismatch notification is legit, but this got omitted from the changelog.

pclausen

Patron
Appreciate the confirmation that P20 firmware is indeed the recommended version with this latest 9.3 Stable Release.

I'm still a little hesitant given the experience the user above had.

Has anyone else taken the plunge yet?

Z300M

Guru
Appreciate the confirmation that P20 firmware is indeed the recommended version with this latest 9.3 Stable Release.

I'm still a little hesitant given the experience the user above had.

Has anyone else taken the plunge yet?
I applied this latest update and see the warnings for my onboard SAS and my M1015 adapter, but I haven't yet updated the firmware. I do wish the release notes had alerted us to this driver update (if it was there, I missed it).

TXAG26

Patron
I'm thinking it may be prudent to physically disconnect any hdd's in the system, update the sas2/sas3 firmware, apply the latest FreeNAS update, shutdown, physically plug all drives back in, and then power on FreeNAS.

With all the unknowns floating around, that seems like the safest way, to insure no HDD access is performed during the firmware mismatch period. Regardless of which you update first, FreeNAS will mount your vdev using mismatched firmware/drivers, depending on which you update first.

Thoughts?

drinny

Dabbler
I updated from within FreeNAS itself using the FreeBSD installer utility that was found at the same page as the firmware download. My update went without a hitch. I didn't even have to reboot.

EDIT: I should clarify that I upgraded from firmware version 16 to version 20 on the IBM/LSI controller. This wasn't a fresh M1015 card - I had already cross flashed it to version 16 when I initially installed it into the machine.

Z300M

Guru
I'm thinking it may be prudent to physically disconnect any hdd's in the system, update the sas2/sas3 firmware, apply the latest FreeNAS update, shutdown, physically plug all drives back in, and then power on FreeNAS.

With all the unknowns floating around, that seems like the safest way, to insure no HDD access is performed during the firmware mismatch period. Regardless of which you update first, FreeNAS will mount your vdev using mismatched firmware/drivers, depending on which you update first.

Thoughts?
I'd say that's a good idea. I'm detaching my pools even as I write this, and I'll power off the drives as well before updating the firmware. Now I'll have to figure out all over again where to find the new firmware versions.

pclausen

Patron
Here are the P20 files for upgrading via a UEFI mobo. Just unzip onto a USB stick and boot from it.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/p20.zip

And here's a primer on the firmware flashing itself:

Figure out how to boot an EFI shell and do it.

If it lists your drives, that’s great, otherwise type map to display what drives are detected, then type mount <yourdrive> to mount the drive. ie, I typed mount fs0.

type fs0: to switch to your mounted drive and ls or dir to verify that all your necessary files are there.

Now we flash!

sas2flash.efi -listall to show the controller and verify the current version.

sas2flash.efi -o -e 6 to erase the BIOS, do not reboot after this command.

sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom to write the new firmware and BIOS.

sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx

And finally, sas2flash.efi –listall once more to verify the updated card. Reboot and press Ctrl-C to get into the LSI BIOS and make sure you’re actually in Initiator Target (IT) mode.

Last edited:

Z300M

Guru
Here are the P20 files for upgrading via a UEFI mobo. Just unzip onto a USB stick and boot from it.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/p20.zip

<snip the instructions>

Is the firmware in your p20.zip archive for the M1015, or for the SAS2308 that's incorporated in the X10SL7-F motherboard, or for both of them, or...?

Z300M

Guru
I'd say that's a good idea. I'm detaching my pools even as I write this, and I'll power off the drives as well before updating the firmware. Now I'll have to figure out all over again where to find the new firmware versions.
LSI is now part of Avago, it seems, and they demand that I register to download the drivers -- but I have to select a product category to which I want access, and there is no category that I recognize as covering HBAs.

pclausen

Patron
I went to the LSI site and downloaded the following:

P20firmwarebios.PNG

And this installer:

uefiinstaller.PNG

pclausen

Patron
LSI is now part of Avago, it seems, and they demand that I register to download the drivers -- but I have to select a product category to which I want access, and there is no category that I recognize as covering HBAs.
For Product Family, I choose "6Gb/s SAS Host Bus Adapters", and for Product I chose "SAS 9211-8i Host Bus Adapter"

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Z300M said:
Is the firmware in your p20.zip archive for the M1015, or for the SAS2308 that's incorporated in the X10SL7-F motherboard, or for both of them, or...?
AFAIK, the same firmware works for the SAS2308 chip used in the LSI HBA, Supermicro X10SL7, and IBM M1015 devices. At any rate, Supermicro's version is available here:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/

pclausen

Patron
Just completed flashing my spare IBM 1015 using the p20.zip file I linked to earlier and all went well. :)

LSIp20done.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.