Upgraded to 9.3 and getting WARNING: Firmware version 19 does not match driver version 16 for /dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

intelligence

Explorer
Is PH16-IT still preferred? I just got my Asrock e3c224d4i-14s motherboard. Haven't flashed it yet, seems to be on PH17 (getting warnings in FreeNAS gui).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes. FreeNAS will use P16 until further notice. In any case, P17 will probably be skipped - straight to P20, most likely.

Hugo Ochoa

Dabbler
I haven't read all the replies to this but I just wanted to contribute that I have TWO (2) IBM M1115 (almost exactly as M1015) controllers in my system (see my sig) and I just upgraded both cards firmware to P16 by using the BIOS UEFI shell while both were still mounted on the motherboard. I'm writing this because I saw some posts suggesting only leaving one card on the motherboard at a time but this is not necessary.

My controllers are already in IT mode with no ROM. It was as simple as:

1. download the Installer_P16_for_UEFI.zip and the 9211_8i_Package_P16_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip files from the Firmware section in here (http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9211-8i#downloads).

2. Extract those files and copy the sastoflash.efi and 2118it.bin files to a USB flash drive. Plug it in to my motherboard and unplug the hard drives (while the system is off of course) just to be safe. (Not that I have any proof that this is at all useful but just being paranoid).

3. Boot into your BIOS and go to the UEFI shell.

4. Type fs0: (or fs1) to mount your USB drive.

5. Type sastoflash.efi -listall to see the list of all your controllers. My controllers ware in previous versions than 16 for full disclosure. This may not be the same process if you're on newer versions.

6. Type sastoflash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin to flash controller 0.

7. Type sastoflash.efi -c 1 -f 2118it.bin to flash controller 1. and so on and so forth for all the controllers you may have. :)

8. Type sastoflash.efi -listall and you should see all your controllers flashed to the FM Ver 16.00.00.00

There were two (2) command that didn't work in my setup: sas2flash.efi -c 1 (where the 1 is for the number of the controller you want to select) and sas2flash.efi -cpci xx:xx:xx (where xx:xx:xx is the controller address flag of the card you want to select). The -c flag worked as is in step 7 (above) to flash my 2nd controller but it didn't select it by itself.

The SAS2Flash_ReferenceGuide.pdf file that comes with the Installer_P16_for_UEFI.zip file is very useful to remove some of the paranoia on running these commands. Give it a good read and you should have no trouble.

Peace!

MichaelBatz

Dabbler
I just updated my FreeNAS to, FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201508250051. After that i got a warning. "Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0"

They went straight from P16 to P20. So i guess, it is safe to update to P20 now.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just updated my FreeNAS to, FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201508250051. After that i got a warning. "Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0"

They went straight from P16 to P20. So i guess, it is safe to update to P20 now.

Yeah, P20 is the latest. FreeNAS had been using a modified P16 for a while, but P20 was deemed stable recently and included with the first 9.3 point release. No point in updating to something like P19 if P20 is available and stable.

MichaelBatz

Dabbler
Yeah, P20 is the latest. FreeNAS had been using a modified P16 for a while, but P20 was deemed stable recently and included with the first 9.3 point release. No point in updating to something like P19 if P20 is available and stable.

I flashed to P20 right after updating FreeNAS to the latest stable. All went fine, and everything seems to be good.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I flashed to P20 right after updating FreeNAS to the latest stable. All went fine, and everything seems to be good.
Right, P20 has been tested in the nightlies, so no massive regressions are to be expected.

MrGuvernment

Patron

MrGuvernment

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.