I upgraded to 9.10.2 and now have this warning: Firmware version 17 does not match driver version 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Mason

Cadet
I updated to 9.10.2 and now have this warning: Firmware version 17 does not match driver version 21 for /dev/mps0. Please flash controller to P21 IT firmware.

I did some research and it looks like I need to upgrade the firmware of my SAS card. Here is my hardware:

Computer: Lenovo TS140
Storage: Lenovo SA120
SAS Card: LSI SAS9200-8E 8PORT Ext 6GB Sata+sas Pcie 2.0

I went to LSI's site (here: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9200-8e#downloads), but they do not have version 21, only version 20.

I am confused as to what to do now. Should I upgrade to version 20? Is this a serious warning?

If I do upgrade, won't I still get the same error (version 20 does not match 21)? Also, if I upgrade, do I need to upgrade both the BIOS and the firmware? I assume I need the BIOS update as well as the BSD firmware update, is that correct?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, you need P20. The message needs to be fixed and there's a bug ticket for it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also, if I upgrade, do I need to upgrade both the BIOS and the firmware? I assume I need the BIOS update as well as the BSD firmware update, is that correct?
Are you booting from the SAS controller or setting up staggered spinup? No? You don't need the BIOS, just wipe it (or update it if you want).

You need the Windows package, which is the only one that contains the actual firmware files. You can then either use the FreeBSD flasher, included with FreeNAS, or you can grab the UEFI flasher and use that (it's safer).

Scott Mason

Cadet
Are you booting from the SAS controller or setting up staggered spinup? No? You don't need the BIOS, just wipe it (or update it if you want).

You need the Windows package, which is the only one that contains the actual firmware files. You can then either use the FreeBSD flasher, included with FreeNAS, or you can grab the UEFI flasher and use that (it's safer).

No, I boot from a USB flash drive. I'll go the UEFI flasher route, thanks for the replies :)

Thanks. So I can safely ignore the message after I upgrade?
You should no longer get new occurrences of the message after you upgrade to P20. You may need to clear the existing messages by deselecting the checkbox in the Alert System window.

JackShine

Dabbler
I would never use the UEFI for flashing.
Broadcom deleted the sas2flash.efi file from the download site. Its crap and they know it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I would never use the UEFI for flashing.
Broadcom deleted the sas2flash.efi file from the download site. Its crap and they know it.
[Citation Needed]

upload_2017-1-11_18-56-3.png

There's the UEFI version of sas2flash.

JackShine

Dabbler
Go there

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
upload_2017-1-11_19-3-26.png

upload_2017-1-11_19-3-43.png

Now, consider this a friendly warning about arguing for the sake of arguing.

The UEFI version of sas2flash is the default option for anything that the other versions don't support and for people who, very reasonably, don't want to mess with their cards on live systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.