9.3.1 Update with alert Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.G.

Explorer
If you happen to have ancient SATA 1.5Gb/s drives laying around, could you tell us if they're recognized with the .07 firmware?
I could, and would, if all eight ports of the "victim" controller were not being used for drives on the receiving end of the replication.
:oops:

That's how I got into this mess. Wanted a replication sink, re-ified a previous incarnation of the NAS to do it, installed 9.10 into it for the purpose, installed the drives, tested them (good thing, one died in the test) and got it set up to receive replication, kicked it off, and now I've been nursemaiding the replicate. While I nursemaid, I go back and look at and learn things, one of them being the firmware level mismatch.

It's 3tB into a 4.1tB replicate.

BWPhx

Cadet
I guess I'm not sure why would I want to migrated the drives off the 9260-4i? I don't have a way to connect the sas2008 to the backplane - it's just a handful of SATA ports on the motherboard. The backplane uses a sff-8087 type connector (and there's only 1).

BWPhx

Cadet
I get that, but they all seem to break out to 4 connectors... but then I guess the 9260-4i is only 4 channels too, so same thing.

Regardless, I still don't understand why I'd want to move controllers?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Because MFI controllers are not particularly suitable for FreeNAS. Please go check out the LSI sticky. There's a difference between it "works" and "this is something you can trust your data to."

Harrison

Dabbler
I'm screwed... I have a FreeNAS-Certified-2U-AP-64 from iX and asked their support for advise... they refered me to this thread and I took the plung today - Saturday, following the procedure from@Spearfoot.

However, although it seemed to complete OK, rebooting leaves me stuck "Initializing..." in the Avago MPT SAS2 BIOS, so there is not even any change to redo the update as I can't reenter the BIOS setup.

Come Monday morning I'm fried.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Harrison

Dabbler
1st time I waited almost 30 mins before forcing a reboot.
It came straight back up into Initializing and its still like that - 3 1/5 hours latter.
Basically its bricked the unit - powering off now.
--
iX, yes supprised me two - the units not yet 2 years old. But I'd been delaying & delaying this update too long.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Mlovelace

Guru
I'm screwed... I have a FreeNAS-Certified-2U-AP-64 from iX and asked their support for advise... they refered me to this thread and I took the plung today - Saturday, following the procedure from@Spearfoot.

However, although it seemed to complete OK, rebooting leaves me stuck "Initializing..." in the Avago MPT SAS2 BIOS, so there is not even any change to redo the update as I can't reenter the BIOS setup.

Come Monday morning I'm fried.
It's not bricked, you just need to reflash the HBA. Clearly something didn't write correctly. Do you have access to the IPMI interface or the physical box? If so, make a flash drive with the sas2flash.efi utility, the P20 firmware (IT mode only), and mptbios. Boot into the UEFI shell, mount the usb drive (typically fs1: ) and reflash the card.

Code:
sas2flash -listall
sas2flash -o -e 6
sas2flash -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flash -listall

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
It's not bricked, you just need to reflash the HBA. Clearly something didn't write correctly. Do you have access to the IPMI interface or the physical box? If so, make a flash drive with the sas2flash.efi utility, the P20 firmware (IT mode only), and mptbios. Boot into the UEFI shell, mount the usb drive (typically fs1: ) and reflash the card.

Code:
sas2flash -listall
sas2flash -o -e 6
sas2flash -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flash -listall
And also, you need to shutdown, power down, and restart the system. Powering down is important...

maglin

Patron
Your not hosed. Just make sure you have the sas2flash.efi for P20 firmware and follow what Mlovelace said. You'll be fine.

Haathi

Explorer
I have no idea if it is related, however I have installed more RAM (now 64GB 8xKVR1333D3D4R9/8GI) and used the new Internal Software Update. I have not seen the issue for 12 Hours so maybe it has been corrected in an update. I will keep you all posted.
Have you seen this issue show up again? I started getting this around the time I upgraded a few hard drives and did a software update (1-2 weeks ago), so I can't really figure out which caused the issue. I've checked and I have the most recent updates on the 9.10 STABLE train.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you seen this issue show up again? I started getting this around the time I upgraded a few hard drives and did a software update (1-2 weeks ago), so I can't really figure out which caused the issue. I've checked and I have the most recent updates on the 9.10 STABLE train.
???

Are you talking about the error message in the thread title? How can it be any clearer, do what it says. It won't magically go away.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The newer version FreeNAS has a newer firmware requirement. What is the exact message?

Haathi

Explorer
???

Are you talking about the error message in the thread title? How can it be any clearer, do what it says. It won't magically go away.
No, sorry, the person I was quoting had been seeing another issue besides just the firmware message (original post from farther up this thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ion-20-for-dev-mps0.36536/page-10#post-229605). I wasn't worried about the warning message for firmware mismatch after we were told it wasn't a big deal. I was wondering if he had seen an end to his other errors related to io_cmds_active being out of sync. He has a bug report open, but before I add to it I was checking to see if his errors had gone away. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/11629
OK, so i have been over this thread several times looking for an answer and am yet to find one. I have an IBM M1015 Flashed to IT mode V 20.00.04.00.
My FreeNas system returns an alarm saying Driver is 20.00.00.00 - Firmware is 20.00.04.00
I then get many errors returning "mps0: warning: io_cmds_active is out of sync - resyncing to 0
After several of these errors the M1015 appears to re initiate and retrieves the drive ID's
Low and behold 2 minutes later it all happens over and over again.

My Data is safe and my FreeNAS is functioning, however this does delay data access from the drives. I believe it is if the drives have spun down and upon waking them up the card has some fort of malfunction.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, make sure you're using P20.00.04 firmware or newer (latest is P20.00.07, IIRC). Earlier P20 releases were riddled with bugs.

Haathi

Explorer
Hmm, make sure you're using P20.00.04 firmware or newer (latest is P20.00.07, IIRC). Earlier P20 releases were riddled with bugs.
Thanks for the thought, I've got Firmware P20.00.07.00 and Driver P21.00.00.00-fbsd, same as the prior poster.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You'll probably want to open a new bug report (be sure to mention the old one - just add #11629 and the bug tracker will interpret it as a link).

Status
Not open for further replies.