9.3.1 Update with alert Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Supermicro has version 20.00.02.00 out... not the 20.00.04.00 posted above... are you sure one can use the 9211-8i firmware version 20.00.04.00 for the LSI 2308 on the X10SL7?

Z300M

Guru
I went to the LSI site and downloaded the following:

P20firmwarebios.PNG

And this installer:

uefiinstaller.PNG
Strange! When I click the download link I get taken back to the Avago home page. Same when I RMB on the link, then Copy link address, and try opening it in a new tab.

Z300M

Guru
Strange! When I click the download link I get taken back to the Avago home page. Same when I RMB on the link, then Copy link address, and try opening it in a new tab.
The above behavior was when using the Chromium browser on Linux Mint 17.2. When I clicked on the download link using Chromium on a Windows 10 machine it took me to an "I agree" box and then let me download the files.

pclausen

Patron
I'm happy to report I had no issues at all with my volume coming back up after upgrading the firmware on all 3 LSI controller in my main system to p20. My process was very simple.

1. Shutdown server
2. Pull each HBA out one at a time and upgrade to p20 on my techbench rig
3. Power back on

Sir.Robin

Guru
You downloaded from LSI? And what version does it show exactly?

pclausen

Patron

Sir.Robin

Guru
So it's a bit newer that the one supermicro posts... damn...

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
FWIW, I flashed my Supermicro X10SL7's SAS controller with the Supermicro version of the firmware and my FreeNAS installation boots just fine.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I can't seem to find what i need to flash with the LSI version. Want the most resent version... but i just might use SP's since it is easier... tired...:oops:

Z300M

Guru
Here are the P20 files for upgrading via a UEFI mobo. Just unzip onto a USB stick and boot from it.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/p20.zip

And here's a primer on the firmware flashing itself:

Figure out how to boot an EFI shell and do it.

If it lists your drives, that’s great, otherwise type map to display what drives are detected, then type mount <yourdrive> to mount the drive. ie, I typed mount fs0.

type fs0: to switch to your mounted drive and ls or dir to verify that all your necessary files are there.

Now we flash!

sas2flash.efi -listall to show the controller and verify the current version.

sas2flash.efi -o -e 6 to erase the BIOS, do not reboot after this command.

sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom to write the new firmware and BIOS.

sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx

And finally, sas2flash.efi –listall once more to verify the updated card. Reboot and press Ctrl-C to get into the LSI BIOS and make sure you’re actually in Initiator Target (IT) mode.
I erased the BIOS of the M1015 using

sas2flash.efi -c 0 -o -e 6 ("-c 0" specified because I didn't want to be messing with the onboard SAS controller at the same time)

BUT

Code:
sas2flash.efi -c 0 -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

reports

Code:
... verified
... verified
--- verified

but then

Code:
"Chip is in RESET state. Attempting Host Boot...
ERROR: Firmware Host Boot Failed!

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash."

and

Code:
sas2flash.efi -c 0 -list

reports

Code:
"Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Controller is not operational. A firmware download is required.
Enter firmware file name or quit to exit: "

If I enter 2118it.bin as the firmware file name, I get:

Code:
"Executing Flash Firmware Image..."

but then, as before:

Code:

Exiting SAS2Flash."

I was able to flash this card to P16 when I first got it, but I don't recall what specific commands I used. On serverthehome.com I see that they started off with a couple of

megarec ...

commands, then rebooted before continuing with the sas2flash... commands (whereas you say not to reboot -- and I haven't), but I don't recall what I did to flash it to P16 originally.

I just noticed: I used the files I got from the LSI site, but your p20.zip file contains shellx64.efi, which is not included in the files I got from LSI. Is that file needed for what I'm trying to do?

Help, please, somebody.

Last edited:

bollar

Patron
I didn't have a problem. I got the .bin file from the Windows distribution above and used the FreeBSD version of sas2flash. FTPed both into /mnt/tank , dropped to shell and ran:
Code:
sas2flash -fwall firmwareimagename

Appears to have worked fine on both Supermicro X9DRD motherboards with LSI 9207-8i HBAs

Z300M

Guru
I didn't have a problem. I got the .bin file from the Windows distribution above and used the FreeBSD version of sas2flash. FTPed both into /mnt/tank , dropped to shell and ran:
Code:
sas2flash -fwall firmwareimagename

Appears to have worked fine on both Supermicro X9DRD motherboards with LSI 9207-8i HBAs
But if my M1015 is now "not operational", will rebooting to try the FreeBSD version kill it altogether? Does it have to remain powered up now and not rebooted until reflashing is complete?

Last edited:

Mlovelace

Guru
Just flashed all 4 boxes (2 controllers each) to P20 firmware over the ipmi interface. I booted into the uefi shell, then used the uefi sas2flash utility; had no issues.

Z300M

Guru
I erased the BIOS of the M1015 using

sas2flash.efi -c 0 -o -e 6 ("-c 0" specified because I didn't want to be messing with the onboard SAS controller at the same time)

BUT

Code:
sas2flash.efi -c 0 -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

reports

Code:
... verified
... verified
--- verified

but then

Code:

Exiting SAS2Flash."

and

Code:
sas2flash.efi -c 0 -list

reports

Code:
"Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Controller is not operational. A firmware download is required.
Enter firmware file name or quit to exit: "

If I enter 2118it.bin as the firmware file name, I get:

Code:
"Executing Flash Firmware Image..."

but then, as before:

Code:

Exiting SAS2Flash."

I was able to flash this card to P16 when I first got it, but I don't recall what specific commands I used. On serverthehome.com I see that they started off with a couple of

megarec ...

commands, then rebooted before continuing with the sas2flash... commands (whereas you say not to reboot -- and I haven't), but I don't recall what I did to flash it to P16 originally.

I just noticed: I used the files I got from the LSI site, but your p20.zip file contains shellx64.efi, which is not included in the files I got from LSI. Is that file needed for what I'm trying to do?

Help, please, somebody.
Adding shellx64.efi to the thumb drive did not solve the problem -- but I didn't reboot after adding it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PSA: Do not try to use SAS2008 firmware on SAS2308 controllers and vice versa! They are physically different and I seriously doubt that LSI writes their firmware on top of a hardware abstraction layer.

Ideal: Get the manufacturer's firmware.
Probably ok: Use LSI stock firmware.

Not ok: Mixing and matching.

Ericloewe @SweetAndLow @cyberjock , so with the release of 9.3.1 , is it safe to assume upgrading to the latest firmware P20 is tested 100%, or should waiting a few weeks for a update to the 9.3.1 be best?

isamudysan

Dabbler
I updated from within FreeNAS itself using the FreeBSD installer utility that was found at the same page as the firmware download. My update went without a hitch. I didn't even have to reboot.

EDIT: I should clarify that I upgraded from firmware version 16 to version 20 on the IBM/LSI controller. This wasn't a fresh M1015 card - I had already cross flashed it to version 16 when I initially installed it into the machine.

Please, let us know how you did it. I, too, cross flashed mine to v.16 when i first bought it. Thank you.

j_r0dd

Contributor
Looks like I'll be waiting awhile or indefinitely. ASRock doesn't have the P20 IT firmware and said it wasn't stable with their initial testing a while back. I'll hold out for a few weeks and if they don't drop P20....

HardChargin

Dabbler
FWIW, I flashed my Supermicro X10SL7's SAS controller with the Supermicro version of the firmware and my FreeNAS installation boots just fine.
@Spearfoot Do you mind sharing your upgrade process for this board? I'm thinking to boot FreeNAS, verify update is available, detach pool, shutdown, unplug hard drives, upgrade LSI2308 firmware via boot utility, boot FreeNAS, update FreeNAS, reboot/shutdown, attach drives, boot FreeNAS, attach pool. Wondering if all the back flips are really necessary, and also wondering how risky this update is as far as being time tested and potential for data corruption/problems. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.