SuperMicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Congrats on a great motherboard :)

No, FreeNAS is on the ver 16 driver level. And so your firmware also needs to be there.

Thanks! I also noticed another reason... simple mistake. Forgot to plug the other end of the Sata power cable into the PSU.. Its modular and everything is black in there and hard to see so while updating all the firmware's I left that unplugged, just forgot to plug it back in when closing everything up. Anyways downgrading to 16 from the ftp side and then will reboot and hope everything comes back up online :)

Kuro Houou

Contributor
So the Drives are all up and running but in the reporting tool in FreeNas I can not see any stats on the Memory, Nic's, System, or System Load. All that shows up is CPU and Disk and Partition... When I was running FreeNAS yesterday with my old mobo, non ecc board, hence me getting this one, everything showed up fine.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Your'e welcome :)
Power is a good idea. I thought that was a bit weird... you should see the drives with PH19 but bugs can occure... so PH16 is recommended anyway.

Regarding reporting... what FreeNAS version are you running? Have you tried another browser? Clear cache?

I'm running my FreeNAS virtual on this mobo, so it's not the same. Will be running it on bare metal on same mobo as soon as it arrives (just ordered it).

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Running the latest, 9.2.1.5 ,I tried different browsers on a couple different computers, all the same issue.. Maybe ill try making a new usb boot drive and see what happens.

UPDATE: Just made a new usb boot disk with a clean install and reporting seems to be working again.. not sure what it was but maybe changing motherboards was to much for the sysconfig restore to handle.. just started fresh.

grep137

Dabbler
cool. Grep137 - has it been more than 30 days?
I went ahead and requested an RMA as well.

I've tried everything that I could have. I did order 32gb of Hynix last night ... we'll see if this works :)
I'm really looking forward to getting this system going!. (Though, I have to get 3 more 3 TB drives. . . .)
Just got my RMA number. Now hopefully they plug it into a board that can log ECC events.

Ziferius

Dabbler
I'm a bit disconcerted... on another thread -- a user successfully used the exactly same model # mem kit that I have an it works fine.
I have 32 gb coming . . . :\ I'm a big anxious.
Another PSU and try? I always have my workstation's PSU. I can give it a go.

I haven't tried it with this new board -- on the previous one before I discovered that it had bent pins.

As far as testing the memory - to see if it even works -- I have access to a computer that takes DDR3-1600 non-ECC....
Will it complain if I put ECC and see if it posts? :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm a bit disconcerted... on another thread -- a user successfully used the exactly same model # mem kit that I have an it works fine.
I have 32 gb coming . . . :\ I'm a big anxious.
Another PSU and try? I always have my workstation's PSU. I can give it a go.

I haven't tried it with this new board -- on the previous one before I discovered that it had bent pins.

As far as testing the memory - to see if it even works -- I have access to a computer that takes DDR3-1600 non-ECC....
Will it complain if I put ECC and see if it posts? :)

It shouldn't be a problem*, but it may also not be representative, since ECC involves some extra stuff.

* there's a small chance it won't accept ECC

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Found a new issue, this time with my CyberPower 1000PFCLCD UPS. So before I got my Supermicro X10SL7F mobo I was running Freenas with a gigabyte motherboard. Had not issues with the UPS there. Now that I have the X10SL7 running I was getting all of these errors with my UPS,

Jun 26 09:36:49 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Jun 26 09:36:49 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
Jun 26 09:39:29 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Jun 26 09:39:29 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
Jun 26 09:44:45 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Jun 26 09:44:49 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
Jun 26 09:45:20 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Jun 26 09:45:21 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale

My UPS was plugged into the back of my computer, tried multiple USB ports, when I plugged it in it always said it was port ugen1.3. Didn't matter which of the 4 usb ports on the back I plugged it into, same name, same errors. But I thought I would just try plugging it into one of the front USB ports, ugen0.6 it said. Well the errors stopped, no more UPS Data Stale errors or check driver errors... I am not sure why this happens. Just curious if anyone else might have seen this.

Yatti420

Wizard
Found a new issue, this time with my CyberPower 1000PFCLCD UPS. So before I got my Supermicro X10SL7F mobo I was running Freenas with a gigabyte motherboard. Had not issues with the UPS there. Now that I have the X10SL7 running I was getting all of these errors with my UPS,

Jun 26 09:36:49 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Jun 26 09:36:49 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
Jun 26 09:39:29 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Jun 26 09:39:29 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
Jun 26 09:44:45 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Jun 26 09:44:49 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
Jun 26 09:45:20 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver
Jun 26 09:45:21 FreeNAS upsd[70030]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale

My UPS was plugged into the back of my computer, tried multiple USB ports, when I plugged it in it always said it was port ugen1.3. Didn't matter which of the 4 usb ports on the back I plugged it into, same name, same errors. But I thought I would just try plugging it into one of the front USB ports, ugen0.6 it said. Well the errors stopped, no more UPS Data Stale errors or check driver errors... I am not sure why this happens. Just curious if anyone else might have seen this.

This has been reported multiple times.. Forum search will have a solution..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Kuro Houou

Contributor
This has been reported multiple times.. Forum search will have a solution..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Oh I know that their is a work around that changes one of the ups conf files, I wasn't asking for a fix per-say... I was curious why one set of usb ports on the motherboard don't work while another set do.. Its obvious its not an issue with the UPS or its driver. Its when I select ucom1.3 vs ucom0.6 that's where the breakdown is. Was curious what could be causing that issue is all, that's why I posted it in this thread about the motherboard specifically..

Ziferius

Dabbler
POST!!!

Good memory apparently! And an Antec PSU. The Hynix memory and a new PSU was required. Old PSU was a corsair cx500. This is Antec VP550F. Memory is from http://www.memoryamerica.com/... They had Hynix modules HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB.. So I snagged 4. Superbiiz is going to let me return for repair/replacement the samsungs.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Sweet :)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

grep137

Dabbler
Sir.Robin, sorry to bother you, however, just as a paranoid check: I noticed in your signature that you're running 24GB. Is that 24 GB of physical RAM? I couldn't find anything in the manual stating that you couldn't run 3x 8 GB.

I plan to set up FreeNAS with 24 GB of memory and then add another 8 GB when my faulty DIMM returns (2 - 4 weeks for RMA). If I understood him correctly, in the thread, "Upgrading RAM down the line", jgreco said that it can be done and that you don't need to change any settings in FreeNAS after adding the additional memory.

However, I wonder if 24 GB of RAM will be enough for a 30 TB pool.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Not at all :)

Yes, i am running 2x8GB + 2x4GB Kingstons. No problems.

You can run 3x8GB also, but that would be less optimal considering the dual memory bus on the mobo.
However, for your NAS usage i'm quite sure the difference is negletable/non-excistent.

You do not need to change any settings after upgrading your pool. Should check the tunables though. Kmem... something that were set if autotune was enabled on earlier versions.

I would think 24GB would be sufficient. Depends on your usage, but as a home NAS it would be sufficient.

grep137

Dabbler
Thank you Sir.Robin. Having a lot of fun learning about FreeNAS, however, some of the posts still go over my head.

You can run 3x8GB also, but that would be less optimal considering the dual memory bus on the mobo.
Just wanted to be completely certain that the board wouldn't complain if one pair of DIMMs was interleaved and the other was not.

It's only for home usage -- I'm just paranoid about loosing my zpool.

Sir.Robin

Guru
If you cherish your data, backup is the way to go!!

Shit eventually hits the fan... Just a matter of time ;)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

grep137

Dabbler
If you don't mind me asking, was the X10SL7 you recently purchased for backups? I'm looking forward to setting up FreeNAS on an old Tyan Thunder (circa 2005), if it'll work, for backing up some of my pool. It seems like ZFS --> ZFS is the way to go for backuping up your zpool?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yes, It is for my NAS02 wich is at a remote location.

Nas02 went down under updating last week and did not boot again.
It is headless, so i had to get it over here, just to find the boot order was messed up after the motherboard presumably locked up.
Not a big deal in other words, but a lot of hassle.

Ipmi will give me far better control remotely, and since the X10SL7 was on sale... why not :)

I am using replication for my primary backup needs, but also do a full copy to a third system now and then.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Sweet... NAS02 upgraded. G3220 + X10SL7. No sweat. Upgraded BIOS, IPMI and LSI2308. Only thang... i see the Disk "da0 no serial" bug is still present... o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.