SuperMicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtemp

Dabbler
Just try both of them, you should quickly find out which one works.

Note that USB 3.0 seems to be disabled (USB 3.0 is XHCI, simple USB 2.0 is EHCI) because you only have Enhanced Host Controller Interfaces. They might be operating as USB 2.0 or completely disabled.

When you reach a conclusion, please tell us, since this is a rather popular motherboard around here and hopefully the same data is valid for the other X10s.

I'll try every port and report back which controller each belongs to. Might be in a week though. Seems like this thread has a few months left in it ;)

The lack of USB3 is interesting. The header for case USB3 ports doesn't work, as tested with a simple USB2 keyboard; I haven't tested the lone USB3 type-A socket. I don't believe I've changed any of the default BIOS USB settings (EHCI1 enabled, EHCI2 enabled, Legacy USB Support enabled, Port 60/64 Emulation enabled, XHCI Hand-off enabled, EHCI Hand-off disabled, XHCI Mode auto).

RyanJennings

Dabbler
Anyone know which USB controllers are for which ports? There are 4 USB2 ports on the back, an internal header for 2 USB2 ports, an internal header for 2 USB3 ports, and an internal regular USB3 jack. In ESXi's passthrough selection, I'm geting "00:1a.0 | Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2" and "00:1d.0 | Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1". Anyone know which ports are for which?

I passed #2 through to use a keyboard in a VM. Plugged the keyboard into my front panel. I am pretty sure all of the back is on #1. I didn't do any looking into USB3.

I will also mention my learning experience on what happens when you pass the usb that has the esxi boot flash drive. I did that and all seemed to work. Then I tried to make some changes to the config in ESXI. It seems that when you have it passed through it can't write those changes to the flash drive and they don't get saved.

This was helpful
http://www.breekeenbeen.nl/2012/10/03/vmware-esxi-determine-which-usb-bus-to-pass-through/

Z300M

Guru
2 and 3) If anyone knows what "ME firmware" and "Intel RC" actually are, that would be useful info :)
5) I searched for PBID 52311 and only found this page... anyone know what this TXT test fail issue is?
6) What problems have people been having with the power button.

ME = "Management Engine".

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It seems that when you have it passed through it can't write those changes to the flash drive and they don't get saved.

Yeah, well, I'd guess your ESXi system will eventually move on to more serious problems like PSOD if you do that.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I passed #2 through to use a keyboard in a VM. Plugged the keyboard into my front panel. I am pretty sure all of the back is on #1. I didn't do any looking into USB3.

I will also mention my learning experience on what happens when you pass the usb that has the esxi boot flash drive. I did that and all seemed to work. Then I tried to make some changes to the config in ESXI. It seems that when you have it passed through it can't write those changes to the flash drive and they don't get saved.

This was helpful
http://www.breekeenbeen.nl/2012/10/03/vmware-esxi-determine-which-usb-bus-to-pass-through/

It's relatively obvious that passing through the device from which the hypervisor is running is a bad idea, so I'd like to point that out before someone arrives and thinks "Hey, I don't have to be careful with what USB devices I pass through as long as I don't want to change stuff!".

RyanJennings

Dabbler
It's relatively obvious that passing through the device from which the hypervisor is running is a bad idea, so I'd like to point that out before someone arrives and thinks "Hey, I don't have to be careful with what USB devices I pass through as long as I don't want to change stuff!".

Yeah I didn't intend to passthrough the ESXI drive. I was still trying to learn if it was smart enough to prevent you from doing that or not. Kind of a "this probably won't work, but lets see what happens" moment. The only vms I had on there were some that I had copied from another computer so figured nothing to loose.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Was gonna wait with the BIOS update... but now they released new IPMI firmware aswell. Version 1.42 Dang....

krikboh

Patron
I've updated my BIOS and IPMI firmware and everything is working well except I've once again lost the temperature reading for my CPU. It shows NA in my IPMI console, but all other temperatures read fine. I tried flashing the BIOS with the JPME1 and JPME2 jumpers set to 2-3, but no difference. I wouldn't have bothered with the updates, but I thought they may have slipped in an update for the potential 4x8GB Kingston RAM issue.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Just finished flashing too. All seems fine so far.
I once had that issue myself, cpu temp not reading, but i think that was my own fault. Not 100% sure, but i think i reset the system before it was completely finished.
It does take a while.... so, are you sure it finished? You got tho wait until the command prompt cursor shows after 3 different "Completed successfully" messages.

krikboh

Patron
Yeah I waited for it to complete. Actually went through it twice just to make sure. I also had to use freeipmi to adjust the threshold for my cpu fan again to stop it from cycling up and down and filling the log with threshold messages.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Weird... my thresholds did not change.

krikboh

Patron
My board defaults the threshold for FanA to 800 RPM and my fan runs around 700 RPM.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yeah, my fan too. Fan speed is 700 constant (3 pin connector). Have set the thresholds to LowCT:200 LowNR:400.

Although i did it with IPMIconfig.

Z300M

Guru
Was gonna wait with the BIOS update... but now they released new IPMI firmware aswell. Version 1.42 Dang....
Did you find out what has changed in the new IPMI firmware? I did do the first IPMI update, which got rid of the Java error message, but I still have the original 1.1 BIOS.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Did you find out what has changed in the new IPMI firmware? I did do the first IPMI update, which got rid of the Java error message, but I still have the original 1.1 BIOS.

Yup :)

This is for IPMI firmware 1.42:

See the changelog for version 1.42 below. Note that most fixes are for other boards.

Category: Fix
Description:
[52620] [BIOS] CTLM Memory Throttling Not Working
[52730]CLTM Memory Throttling Not Working.
Infected motherboard: X10SLH and X10SLM
Affected functions:
Validation :
1. heat on the memory and see if the memory throttling works.

Description:
[52682] Event logs get filled with Vmem temperature logs
[52675] IPMI sensor reading abnormal
[52671] VmemVRM Temp senosr reading abnormal
[52661] X10SRI-F system got "Lower Non-recoverable" error drung the CPU linpack testing

Infected motherboard: X10 motherboard with Grantley CPUs
Affected functions:
Validation :
1. Check the memory VRM values are normal on IPMI web gui
2. Do linpack testing to see if event log is issued

Description:
[52671] VmemVRM Temp senosr reading abnormal
Infected motherboard: X10 motherboard with Grantley CPUs
Affected functions:
Validation :
1. Check the memory VRM values are normal on IPMI web gui
2. Do linpack testing to see if event log is issued

Description:
[52464]Inconsistent behavior under IE9/Chrome/Firefox/Safari after prompt for
updating Java in IPMI webpage
Infected motherboard:A1SA7
Affected functions:
Validation :
1. in IPMI webpage, if one clicks 'system information' menuitem, a
dialog box will prompt if necessary to update java
2. click "yes" and check if you can get the same behavior using the
different browsers.

Description:
[52191]IPMI Web Report Wrong Node Position
Infected motherboard:X10DRT-P
Affected functions:
Validation :
1.login in other nodes except node A.
2.Enter multinode page and check currnet node

Benny Mac

Dabbler
Hello krikboh. I just wanted to add that I was suffering from a similar problem since I got my X10SL7-F a few days ago ... up until just an hour ago.

I've updated my BIOS and IPMI firmware and everything is working well except I've once again lost the temperature reading for my CPU. It shows NA in my IPMI console, but all other temperatures read fine. I tried flashing the BIOS with the JPME1 and JPME2 jumpers set to 2-3, but no difference.

Since I received my board I couldn't get temperatures for the CPU or PCH. I'd tried updating the bios, IMPI firmware and using ipmicfg.exe -fd, but none of it worked. So I contacted Supermicro support, and the guy helping me had me try a few things.

First was to flash a as-yet-unreleased IPMI Firmware of version 1.45. That partially helped, in that I finally got the missing temperatures on the first update, but on all subsequent updates they reverted to N/A.

The latest advice was to reflash the same (latest) bios, but to do with with jumper JPME2 in the "ME" setting. After that another new advice was to remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes (instead of shorting the "clear CMOS" terminals, as I'd previously done).

At first this appeared not to have worked. In fact, all the temperatures were showing N/A now. So I decided to give it a final ipmicfg.exe -fd for luck [drum roll] and suddenly all the values came in, updates and all.

So I don't know what the initial problem was, and I don't know which steps actually fixed it, but I do know I can no-longer detect any problems. Bit of a shame the heartache was needed in the first place, but I was quite impressed by the speed of the Supermicro support guy. Didn't seem like the usual "Have you plugged in the monitor, sir?" I've experienced from some other companies.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Right... be aware that all values are NA until syustem is powered on and finished posting.

This is what i got from Supermicro on the matter:

It is possible something is wrong with the ME firmware on the board.
You can try reflashing the board with the JPME1 and 2 jumpers set to 2-3 (see below). After flashing set the jumpers back.

Attachments

• X10SL7_JPME.jpg
    X10SL7_JPME.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 363

datarimlens

Dabbler
... not wanting to interrupt this nice discussion, but regarding Freenas setup, since I am looking at putting a virtualized ZFS server together and was looking for input regarding the X10SL7-F. Pleae advise if this should go somewhere else on the forum.
- X10SL7 seems to have components supported in ESXi 5.5 well enough, or are the BIOS issues for monitoring, etc. any holdup?
- The LSI2308 appears to do IT mode.
- Anything that would prevent a E3-1230L v3 be an acceptable CPU choice?
- Server video is included with the AST2400, supported under ESXi?

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We do not support or condone FreeNAS as a VM except for experimenting in a type-2 hypervisor. All I can say is don't do it without backups and "good luck".

datarimlens

Dabbler
Yes, completely uncondoned, rogue and full risk, and, looking at "bios" stability these days, anything goes anyways. I have seen way to much screwed up even on EMC and other "professional" boxes (of course present company excluded), so (having read http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...enas-in-production-as-a-virtual-machine.12484, including "One of the prevailing problems with IT people is that as soon as you tell them not to do it, they want to do it anyway. Yes, it's incredibly stupid, but it is what it is.") ... I am curious and listening ... :)

Question to Sir Robin for example, what his experience is with his ESXi 5.5-U1 and virtual NAS01 setup ...

Status
Not open for further replies.