Static IP failes, DHCP working fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

venomhed

Dabbler
Hello,

I am having a bear of a time getting FreeNAS to accept a static IP. I have used both the console and the web interface.

I set it to DHCP and FreeNAS states "To connect go to HTTP://192.168.1.52" and this works great. However I want the IP to be 192.168.1.25

I went to the console, chose option one, blew out the config, chose the interface, named it Internal, issued 192.168.1.25 (ensuring nothing was using that IP and that IP is out of the DHCP range), chose /16 (255.255.0.0). I also later chose the default route of 192.168.1.1 gateway but I did this after not being able to connect.

Config saved.

I try to ping 192.168.1.25, nothing. I reboot, nothing, I try pinging 192.168.1.52, the original DHCP, nothing.
Went back to the console, chose DHCP, it grabs 192.168.1.52, and I can get in fine.

I did this also at the web gui, and after saving, I still can reach it via 192.168.1.52, not the static 1.25, even though the Web Gui, Networking, Internal nic state 192.168.1.25

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks!

Bever

Explorer
Can you ping 192.168.1.25 from the freenas server itself?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

venomhed

Dabbler
Oh, so rather than choose 1-11 just type ping and the IP? Didn't know you could do that. I will give it a try when I am onsite next.

venomhed

Dabbler
Choose option 9 to access the "Shell", where you'll be able to enter commands like ping.

Thanks for that tip, every little bit helps.

So from the FreeNAS console, and selecting Shell, I am able to ping all the servers and the gateway without issue.

Attempted the Static IP again, blew out the current network config, entered 192.168.1.35/16, did not config IPV6, saved, entered the Shell, pinged 192.168.1.35, nothing, host is down, so it cannot ping itself.

paleoN

Wizard
What version of FreeNAS are you using?
Attempted the Static IP again, blew out the current network config, entered 192.168.1.35/16, did not config IPV6, saved, entered the Shell, pinged 192.168.1.35, nothing, host is down, so it cannot ping itself.
After you set the Static IP try running these commands from the shell and see what they say:
Code:
netstat -rn

ifconfig

venomhed

Dabbler
What version of FreeNAS are you using?
After you set the Static IP try running these commands from the shell and see what they say:
Code:
netstat -rn

ifconfig

I am running 8.03 which I believe is still the latest.

I was able to run the commands but a ton of info came up that I am not sure how to decipher. I have attached two screen shots with all the info.

Thanks again for the help, I hope I am just doing something wrong and its not a bug.

Attachments

• Freenas-1.jpg
    Freenas-1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 339
  • FreeNAS2.jpg
    FreeNAS2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 324

gpsguy

8.0.4-RELEASE-p2 is the latest. I re-read the release notes for 8.0.4 - there were no mentions of this type of bug. I highly doubted it - but I check anyway.

From your screenshots, it looks like you're back on 192.168.1.52.

In message #1, you mentioned trying to set it to ***.***.***.25 and in #7, you talked about ***.***.***.35. Was that a typo? In any event, it looks your back on your original DHCP address.

Have you tried shutting down the server after making the change to static and then restarting? I'm grabbing at straws ...

venomhed

Dabbler
8.0.4-RELEASE-p2 is the latest. I re-read the release notes for 8.0.4 - there were no mentions of this type of bug. I highly doubted it - but I check anyway.

From your screenshots, it looks like you're back on 192.168.1.52.

In message #1, you mentioned trying to set it to ***.***.***.25 and in #7, you talked about ***.***.***.35. Was that a typo? In any event, it looks your back on your original DHCP address.

Have you tried shutting down the server after making the change to static and then restarting? I'm grabbing at straws ...

Sorry, 192.168.1.35 is the correct number that was a type.
I am on DHCP now as that is the only way to get FreeNAS to work on this unit at this time.

Should I try to redo the IP to static, then do those same commands and screenshots after the static is applied?

Thanks

gpsguy

Yes - that's what paleoN wanted you to try.

Should I try to redo the IP to static, then do those same commands and screenshots after the static is applied?

venomhed

Dabbler
Yes - that's what paleoN wanted you to try.

Yes I have tried rebooting the server after the changes, doesn't help.

OK, the screen shots below are from the Static IP set to 192.168.1.35

Attachments

• FreeNAS-Static1.jpg
    FreeNAS-Static1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 310
  • FreeNAS-Static2.jpg
    FreeNAS-Static2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 320

paleoN

Wizard
From that output it's still using the old DHCP IP.

I am running 8.03 which I believe is still the latest..
I would upgrade to FreeNAS 8.0.4 p2, latest version. We might get lucky and your problem will be fixed. From the User Guide:
Code:
2.5.2 From the GUI
Before upgrading FreeNAS™:
      Backup the FreeNAS™ configuration in System -> Settings -> General -> Upload Config.

If you are still having trouble afterwards there are other things we can try from the cli.

venomhed

Dabbler
Hello,

I was able to perform the upgrade to 8.04 and confirmed this in the GUI. Once done I set the IP to static 192.168.1.35 via the gui, and retained connection via the 192.168.1.52 DHCP IP. Freenas never cut over to the 192.168.1.35 IP after it being assigned that IP via the gui. From the gui I rebooted the FreeNAS server.

I cannot reach it via the 1.35 or the DHCP 1.52
Going to the console, pushed option #1, verified that the IP is 192.168.1.35 - This is true.
From the FreeNAS shell, pinged 192.168.1.35, no response.
Chose option 1, assigned DHCP, found 192.168.1.52
From Shell able to ping 1.52
Able to reach webgui via 1.52

So unfortunately in the same boat here.

Bever

Explorer
Maybe a bit far fetched, but to eliminate any network component, could you cross connect your PC or a laptop to your freenas server, and assign it an IP in the same subnet to see if that works?

venomhed

Dabbler
I think I am going to try and completely reset this FreeNAS install. It is in a test environment and I want to see if I can recover my ZFS info as is, I need to learn this anyways.

BUT this does not give me any confidence in deploying this product in a production ready environment unfortunately.

BTW I thought I should mention this.

The initial install of this server had 2 network cards. One of the network cards never worked, it would never get an IP, this was a PCI, Intell Pro 1000 nic. The onboard Intel has worked, albeit in DHCP only. I did pull the PCI Intel when i powered off the machine as it sometimes seemed to not allow the machine to start.

It was around after this that I noticed the static IP issue, BUT, the onboard nic was previously static IP'd, and worked, after the PCI Nic pull it hasn't worked static since. I even deleted the removed PCI Nic from the FreeNAS WebGui as it still showed it on there, but you couldn't do anything with it.

Maybe the above info will help, could also be a red herring.

paleoN

Wizard
I think I am going to try and completely reset this FreeNAS install. It is in a test environment and I want to see if I can recover my ZFS info as is, I need to learn this anyways.
I was actually going to suggest this myself. Though I would have told you to export the pool first unless you wanted the whole experience.

BTW I thought I should mention this.

The initial install of this server had 2 network cards. One of the network cards never worked, it would never get an IP, this was a PCI, Intell Pro 1000 nic. The onboard Intel has worked, albeit in DHCP only. I did pull the PCI Intel when i powered off the machine as it sometimes seemed to not allow the machine to start.

It was around after this that I noticed the static IP issue, BUT, the onboard nic was previously static IP'd, and worked, after the PCI Nic pull it hasn't worked static since. I even deleted the removed PCI Nic from the FreeNAS WebGui as it still showed it on there, but you couldn't do anything with it.

Maybe the above info will help, could also be a red herring.
It would have been nice to know. Feel free to be as verbose as possible with the details next time. With that info it would seem the database still had references to the removed NIC.

I expect it will work normally when you do the reinstall.

venomhed

Dabbler
I was actually going to suggest this myself. Though I would have told you to export the pool first unless you wanted the whole experience.

It would have been nice to know. Feel free to be as verbose as possible with the details next time. With that info it would seem the database still had references to the removed NIC.

I expect it will work normally when you do the reinstall.

Just wanted to inform everyone of my progress. Choosing option 8 from the FreeNAS console to Rest to Factory Defaults solved the issue. I was then able to setup a static IP and it worked right away. Also was able to Auto Import all my stores easily enough.

So there seems to have been a bug in my config somewhere. All I can say is that initially I had two nics, one onboard Intel, one added PCI Intel. I believe they are both the Intel Pro 1000 but I do not have the exact model #. Both nics were plugged into the same switch, both for DHCP, however one never seemed to work and would never get a DHCP lease (I tried diff cables and a diff port on the switch). Since that didn't work, I shut down and pulled the add on nic. Afterwards I tried the static assigned IP for the remaining internal nic, which never worked either. So I have no idea at what point, where and how, this problem occurred as I never attempted to assign a static IP until after the removal of the PCI nic.

One thing as well, the Web Gui always showed the add on NIC, even after it was removed. I am not sure if that is relevant but seems to me that the nic should have gone away or showed at least as disabled in the web gui Network screen. Hope this helps.

mjd1979

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm having the same problems as Venomhead. I have tried restore to factory defaults, but as soon as I set a static IP I get ntp error messages such as:

freenas ntpd_initres[1526]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[1526]: couldn't resolve `0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org', giving up on it
freenas ntpd_initres[1526]: host name not found: 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[1526]: couldn't resolve `1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org', giving up on it
freenas ntpd_initres[1526]: host name not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[1526]: couldn't resolve `2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org', giving up on it

No problem with DHCP. My set up is:

Asus M5A78L-M LX
Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz
D-link GigaLan DGE-528T
2 x Kingston DDR3 4GB 1333MHz PC3-10600
6 x 500GB Sata II Hard drive
FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p3-x64 (11703)

This all occurred with the on-board NIC, a Realtek 8111E.

I have since disabled the Realtek and installed a D-Link GigaLan DGE-528T which is listed as compatible in the FreeBSD list. Using this card also produces the same messages when using a fixed IP, no problem with DHCP.

Do you think is worth buying and trying an Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 PCI?

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.