Major problem setting up network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattk

Cadet
I have installed FreeNAS into a ESXi VM. When it initially comes up and grabs a DHCP address it works just fine. The problem happens when I try to give it a static address.

I have done this through the console and from the web interface.
In the console I chose option 1.
Interface 1
delete existing: n
configure for DHCP: n
Configure IPv4: y
Interface name: LAN
IPv4 Address: 10.2.61.13/16
saving interface config: ok
config IPv6: n

Then the screen refreshes and says that i can go to http://10.2.61.13
when I do it times out.
I can ping 10.2.61.13 though.

What exactly am I doing wrong?

Martijn81

Cadet
I'm not sure but you're computer IP must be 10.2.x.x .

For example: NAS (10.2.61.13/16) and PC (10.2.61.14/16).

Ralph

Cadet
Hello,

Could you please give more technical details ?
- What is your source and your destination IP plan (source IP, dest IP, default GW, etc)
- Is there any networking devices in between ? (switch, router, firewall ?)
- How is your vSwitch setup ?

If you can ping the NAS, It seems more as a firewall issue..

regards

Mattk

Cadet
Both good questions.
Martijn81:
My pc: 10.2.50.22 / 16
NAS: 10.2.61.13 / 16

Ralph:
My PC and NAS are above. the Default GW is 10.2.0.1.
We have several switches between my PC the the NAS, with no special config. There is no rounter or firewall between the PC and the NAS. My vSwitch is setup as default just 'out of the box' I have no special config on the vSwitch at all ether.
The only firewall is the firewall on the edge of our network. We dont have one inside of the network.

I also just tried something a little different.
Again my PC address is 10.2.50.22 /16
The NAS (new install, pulled a different IP) is 10.2.50.5 / 16
Pings work and I can get to the web interface no problem.
I open 2 command prompts. One pings the NAS at 50.5 and the other starts pinging at the new address I am going to give it.

I go into the console and using option one I change the IP to 10.2.50.30 / 16
As expected when I hit enter the 50.5 pings stop and the 50.30 pings start.
I can no longer get to the web interface.

What can I try now?

louis-m

Dabbler
thats one mother of a subnet you have there!
in theory it should work and certainly if you can ping it, you should be able to see it.

options:
browser issue? is it refreshing and not seeing a cached page?
have you tried a tracert on it to see if it's going direct? it sounds as if something is blocking http but allowing ping along the way.
try enabling ssh on freenas and making sure you can connect before you change the ip again. see if you can ssh into the box then.
try reducing the subnet down to 24 to see the effect and then increasing it.

Mattk

Cadet
Louis-m:
If your going to go, go BIG!
I am using IE and I have tried opening a compleatly new window to see if I can connect.
I did a tracert. It appears to go direct. one answer only.
I can SSH (putty) into the box.
I started a ping from inside the SSH connection.
When the IP address changed the SSH connection was broken
2011-06-23_1339.png

When the IP changes I saw this in the console.

louis-m

Dabbler
what does an ifconfig show when it is broke?

on a side note, i had a devil of a job configuring freenas 8 a week or 2 ago. destroying interfaces, vlans etc had no effect even though it said it did in the cli.
it's was as if the database is holding onto the config. the only way i could get it to go was a reinstall which actually wasn't bad. a re-import of the disks and the odd config change and i was back to where i was.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Mattk,

2 things I would try.

Put your gateway in Network --> Global Config & see what that does, then try disabling ipv6 and see if that changes anything.

I see you have a link local ipv6 address listed. Maybe the webserver is trying to reply on ipv6 which might not be working right.

-Will

Mattk

Cadet
I would try that but when I click on Global config, or Network Summary I get a blank tab.

Hi Mattk,

2 things I would try.

Put your gateway in Network --> Global Config & see what that does, then try disabling ipv6 and see if that changes anything.

I see you have a link local ipv6 address listed. Maybe the webserver is trying to reply on ipv6 which might not be working right.

-Will

louis-m

Dabbler
well, it's certainly strange. it should work. it clearly shows you have the ip there.
i'm wondering whether you have anything else of you network eg intrusion detection or anything else blocking it?
try another ip eg one quite close to the one that is working and see what happens.
if all else fails, go for a factory reset in the console and try the ip that doesn't work.
i've noticed a few things that are a little strange eg vlans not working as they should etc.

Mattk

Cadet
In one of my tests I had the NAS to from 50.5 to 50.30. Do you want me to try to get them even closer togther? We dont currently have intrusion detection on our network.

louis-m

Dabbler
i'm just thinking whether or no something may be jammed in some arp tables etc with the .30 address as it should work.
try another eg .6 to see what happens.

Mattk

Cadet
I installed ver .72 and it works just fine. I'll try ver 8 again later I guess.

nicko

Dabbler
Just a note re your blank screen when accessing the network settings in the gui using IE, the problem is probably IE - try Firefox or Chrome and it should display correctly. I have this problem with IE8 when it is not in compatibility mode - but if you put it in compatibility mode you'll probably lose even more :)
(I have a ticket open - #478)

cbray

Explorer
ditto on the browser change. I had similar problem this a.m. with IE. Change to FF fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.