SOLVED: Problem with V11.1-U6

JohnnyL

Cadet
I tried to upgrade my V9 installation last Christmas to V11.1-u6 and ran into big scare problems. I've lost webb GUI and none of my SMB shares was accessible from the network. I've managed to restore and remove the V11 update from my system. I set the V9 to boot and made sure none of the V11 files would be any problems.

Now to the problem. I recently had a major power loss and my UPS cut the power to my network causing a 2 hour outage. After the system went online everything seemed alright but... Murphy's law is at it again. Somehow some of the V11 files managed to survive and spread into my system like a virus and causing this bloody thing.

I'm not sure why releasing a upgrade that causes more problems then it solves :mad:

Can anyone help me figure out how to get the system to boot into my V9 installation and remove these V11 bloody files and folders.

Worst case scenario here, my disks are encrypted and I cant find my settings and encryption keys for the whole dam thing. So Im stuck at trying to get this to work so I can move files to a more secure location then my FreeNAS

Attachments

• received_2382727611963741.jpeg
    received_2382727611963741.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 289

JohnnyL

Cadet
No not yet. I now have access to the server on-site and gain shell access, have listed installed versions of the FreeNAS software and got me a real surprise or not. V11.1 has removed my V9 installation somehow despite that I removed v11 from update list and boot list after last time I tried to update. I had the V9 option in this list last time.

Instead I have V11.1-U2 as option in this list. Se picture for readout. So where did my older version go?

I get webb login screen but when logged in nothing is showing on the webbpage, cant do anything from there.

Attachments

• BeadmList.jpg
    BeadmList.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 249

JohnnyL

Cadet
I've managed to find the encryption key in /data/geli. Now I wish to make a copy of it but how do i mount a USB device?

I done this so far.
made a usbext dir under mnt
executed dmesg to find out name for the disk I will mount.
mount -t ntfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt/usbext

This will not work, no such file or directory

So it seems that my encryption key will stay in the filesystem without me able to recover it. I cant get webb access to copy it so I need to make a copy from the shell. I don't have SSH access enabled and I cant find if there s a way to enabled SSH from the shell either.

Is it possible to upgrade my current installation from another usb device without anything disappering and hopefully get it to work?

JohnnyL

Cadet
SOLVED: I managed to delete the faulty v11.1-U6 and activate the V11.0, get some errors but I managed to get my shares to work at least and are now transferring all data to my second site. Will do a complete reinstallation of the newest version before attempting to transfer back data to FreeNAS again.

Somehow I cant delete the V11.1-U6 completely so it will force itself to boot every time my server restarts

Is encryption absolutely necessary for your installation? It adds another layer of complexity.

JohnnyL

Cadet
I wish I didnt have to but I have my customer database there and to comply with GPDR laws within EU region I need to add this layer of security.