Before upgrading to 11.2 should we delete any iocage install we played with in 11.1?

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi

Subject says it all, I played around with iocage via the command line in v11.1-U6 to get an early look and understanding of it. Therefore I'm not 100% sure how clean a setup it is (you never know trying something new via the CLI). Would it be worthwhile deleting the iocage install and removing it from the pool?

If we should delete it, any idea what commands to use to deactivate it from the 11.1-U6 installation, so the 11.2 upgrade creates a clean setup of iocage for starting anew?

Thanks.

Yours
Jonathan

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your iocage jails will show up in the new UI in 11.2 and be fully supported. No need to start over again.

Skro

Contributor
After you upgrade, your old iocage jails will be listed with the version of iocage you created them with. I updated my jails in the CLI using:

Code:
iocage upgrade <jailname> -r 11.2-RELEASE

After you update all of your jails, you can delete the old version of iocage using:

Code:
iocage destroy -d -r 11.1-RELEASE

meku

Dabbler
You cannot destroy the old release because the upgraded iocage jails are still dependent clones of the 11.1-RELEASE/root dataset.

Code:
# iocage destroy -d -r 11.1-RELEASE

11.1-RELEASE has dependent jails (who may also have dependents), use --recursive to destroy
<jail names...>

At this stage I don't know if this a bug or a 'feature' o_O

Inxsible

Guru
See this post to be able to delete an older release version if you get the error @meku posted.

pschatz100

Guru
I upgraded to 11.2 with older iocage jails, and I had no difficulties at all. They showed up in the new GUI just fine. I even updated them in the new GUI without a problem.

If you have critical data or a complex set up in your jails, I would make certain the information is backed up - just in case something goes wrong. FWIW, I haven't tried to delete any old jails through the new GUI.

danb35

Hall of Famer
FWIW, I haven't tried to delete any old jails through the new GUI.
...and you will not be able to; warden jails need to managed through the legacy GUI.

pschatz100

Guru
...and you will not be able to; warden jails need to managed through the legacy GUI.
Absolutely true about Warden jails. I meant older iocage jails. I actually migrated off Warden jails when I updated to 11.1. At that time, I created iocage jails manually as a way to learn about iocage. When I felt comfortable with it, I recreated my jails in iocage.