Setting up HP Proliant server headless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuMcBill

Dabbler
Hi,

I’ve got a HP proliant Gen 8 MicroServer arriving tomorrow which I would like to set up with FreeNAS to use as a Plex server (along with Sonarr and Sabnzbd) however, I have a few questions.

1. I don’t really have access to a monitor at the moment, but would like to run FreeNAS off a usb stick on the server. Is there anyway I can manipulate the BIOS to boot from USB without a monitor? If so, could someone list the number of keyboard presses to enable this? And if possible, enable freenas’s web interface so I can access it from my web browser from my laptop.

2. I’m going to put a 2tb SATA drive in there to begin with, but all my movies and tv shows are on an external USB hard drive, is there anyway I can mount the external drive the same way I would mount an internal drive?

3. Are there any online resources that will make my setup process easier?

I’m new to this so there maybe another few questions coming.

Thanks,
Stewart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim1962

Patron
Hi from a recent newbie (so there maybe/will be better advice!) I don't think you can realistically **set up** FreeNAS headless, (set it up with a screen then remove the screen once up and configured.)

YEs you can boot from a USB, and the boot order is set in BIOS

The web interface is set automatically and IP address declared after setup (on the monitor) after that it is all web based config (or remote command line)

If I may suggest I would install FreeNAS and add the 2Tb drive and use it in a non critical fashion for a while before perhaps reinstalling once you have got the hang of things, I certainly would keep a copy of your media files on your USB drive as backup for some time in case it all goes pear shaped. FreeNAS itself won't go pearshape but if you are anything like me, you might!!!

Good luck

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, you absolutely need a monitor or facsimile thereof (serial console, IPMI, etc.).

StuMcBill

Dabbler
I think my old tv I have has a vga connection so hopefully I’ll be able to plug it in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuMcBill

Dabbler
I’m going to be putting a 2tb SATA drive in my server which I would like to load up with my Tv shows before putting into the server.

Is there anyway I can format the SATA drive correctly from my Mac and copy using Mac OS ?

I have a usb SATA adapter already.

KrisBee

Wizard
Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can install freenas using any system. Then just plug in your USB into your final server. For example install using a VM. You will have to set a static IP or just find the IP using your router interface.

Using a single disk is a bad idea because if that disk dies you will lose all your data. You can't add mores disks to that single disk in the freenas GUI. Read the threads in my signature under recommended reading for more information about how freenas works.

Last edited:

siconic

Explorer
Setting up is easy enough. Once you are all setup, and have access to the FreeNAS GUI, just create a share over your network in the share tab, plug your external drive into a PC or Mac, and drag and drop your files from your external HDD to your new FreeNAS share, and voila!

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can't add not disks to that single disk.
Sure you can, if you want to make it a mirror (and are willing to do it at the CLI). Or if you don't care about data protection, you can add all the disks you want, striped.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there anyway I can format the SATA drive correctly from my Mac and copy using Mac OS ?
It might be possible using OpenZFS on OS X, but the better solution would be to create the pool using FreeNAS, detach it from there, import it on your Mac, and then copy the files.

StuMcBill

Dabbler
Right, I think I need to get a bit of clarification, what’s an iLO? Is this the way you interact with the BIOS on the server? Do you have to pay for it?

I’m going to have a bit of free time on Friday evening to try and set this up, this is what I’m planning prior to Friday.

1. Connect monitor, keyboard and mouse.
2. Power up system and upgrade BIOS and iLO.
2a. Possibly upgrade the processor to the i5 I’ve bought for it (realistically I’ll probably get it all set up first then do this).
3. Boot into BIOS and set the system to boot from USB.
4. Plug in my FreeNAS usb stick and boot up the system, install FreeNAS.
5. Set up FreeNAS so I can manipulate it from my web browser on my Mac.
6. Disconnect monitor, keyboard and mouse.
7. Do remainder from my web browser on Friday evening.

My daughter sleeps in the next room to where the monitor is, so I don’t want to be in there while I’m mucking about - that’s why I want to get it to a stage where I can do it from my web browser before Friday night.

Does this make sense?

Thanks for your patience,
Stewart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
Set up FreeNAS so I can manipulate it from my web browser on my Mac.
This step literally involves "boot the system, read the IP address from the screen." No further setup needs to be done from the console.

Tim1962

Patron
Research FreeNAS and i5 processor. I think you will find it (i5) doesn't support the recommended ECC RAM

StuMcBill

Dabbler
Research FreeNAS and i5 processor. I think you will find it (i5) doesn't support the recommended ECC RAM

Forgive my ignorance, but what do I lose without ECC?

Can it still use the ECC ram, but not support the ECC part of it, using the i5? What I mean is can I still use the supplied ram with the i5?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Tim1962

Patron
The USP of FreeNAS is safety/resilience. If you want to use it, and stick your head above parapets here on the forum you will soon find there are certain requirements to make it work as planned, which includes ECC RAM, RAID/mirroring disks, UPS and so on. Its a steep learning curve and you'll need to decide early on if you are prepared for the hardware requirements needed to make the most of FreeNAS

You'll get a warmer welcome if you research these requirements

Can't advise about whether i5/ECC combo actually boots etc

StuMcBill

Dabbler
The USP of FreeNAS is safety/resilience. If you want to use it, and stick your head above parapets here on the forum you will soon find there are certain requirements to make it work as planned, which includes ECC RAM, RAID/mirroring disks, UPS and so on. Its a steep learning curve and you'll need to decide early on if you are prepared for the hardware requirements needed to make the most of FreeNAS

You'll get a warmer welcome if you research these requirements

Can't advise about whether i5/ECC combo actually boots etc

Ah ok. I’ll stick with the stock CPU for the time being and see how my Plex transcoding goes with it, if it struggles I’ll revisit my CPU choice.

Inxsible

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.