SOLVED Random beeping from Supermicro X9SCL-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwslippey

Contributor
I suspect I know the answer to this question but wanted to post here in case anyone has any other thoughts.

I have a Supermicro X9SCL-F I got used from eBay a while ago. It's been working fine for a while now.

I recently moved and noticed after the NAS running for a few days fine it started to beep (beep-beep-beep-beep) while running. Not a continuous beep but a continuous series of beep with no real pattern.

To my surprise, I was able to load the GUI and shutdown FreeNAS without any issues. I shut the system down and booted back up checking all fans, they're all fine. I didn't mess with the memory or CPU but thought it might be one of those not being seated correctly.

I will add that I had this running in my garage as I just moved and didn't have a chance to get an ethernet cable to its final home and noticed yesterday it was a little moist in the garage. (It's Feb but it was almost 70 degrees yesterday here in De)

I'm thinking the moisture might have caused a problem. There was no condensation on any components but I still suspect that might have been the problem. I've brought it inside and let it sit and it'll probably sit for another day before I get it back up but wanted to see what everyone here thinks.

Hopefully I didn't screw myself with running it out in the garage for those few days. Did not expect that temperature increase or the moisture out there.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I would suggest (after a move) that all the connections should get a re-seat, just as a precaution, because I have seen things work loose in shipping too many times.
If it is still beeping after that, try to see if there is a pattern to it. There are beep codes that have meaning and if it is long beeps vs short beeps etc.
Let us know after you power it back up.

rwslippey

Contributor
I would suggest (after a move) that all the connections should get a re-seat, just as a precaution, because I have seen things work loose in shipping too many times.
If it is still beeping after that, try to see if there is a pattern to it. There are beep codes that have meaning and if it is long beeps vs short beeps etc.

Thanks Chris,

I'll get everything reseated here in the next day or so. I'll be stuck at work tonight and tomorrow so it could be a few days but overtime is always good.

The weird thing is there is no pattern, just continuous short beeps.

Thanks again

Rob

rwslippey

Contributor

Well, I moved it inside and everything seems to be fine now. No beeping and everything seems to be running smoothly.... so I guess we'll call this (don't leave your NAS in a moist environment...) Next time I'll try not to be too lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.