beeping sound on motherboard Freenas home server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfdevil

Dabbler
Hi,

I've got an irritating beep that starts when my Freenas server is booting (not in the bios, if I leave the server in the bios for 5 hours, it still doesn't beep). The booting commands go way too fast to determine from what action/command it starts to beep, what hardware it connects to.

I've tried to record the beeping sound with my phone. At around 30 seconds I point to the part where I think the sound comes from (the grey cilinders/condensators?)

Because I still had warranty on my motherboard and I thought it was some failing piece on the mobo, I went back to the store and received a completely new mobo. So it aint the mobo itself.

I've also disconnected all the fans (even the cpu fan) and the harddisks for a short while, but the beep remains.

It's not really constant, but beeps about every 10 seconds for 2 to 3 seconds.

Another posibility is that it has to do with the USB stick that my freenas server is on...

I hope that you guys can give me some idea's of what can be causing this, what other things I can test to determine this and what I can do about it?

The hardware specs:
  • Case: Antec P180
  • Mobo: Asrock FM2A88M Extreme4+
  • AMD A4-5300, 3,5 GHz, FM2 processor
  • RAM: GeiL Black Dragon 8GB DDR2 1066Mhz
  • 2 WD Red 3TB disks
  • Corsair 430CX, 430 Watt 80plus bronze
  • Network card: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45

Thanks in advance for reading my post.

Regards,

Nils

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
It's very faint. On the video it's almost like a buzzing.

Does it happen with the USB plugged in?

nfdevil

Dabbler
I've got the Freenas OS on my usb stick, so yes, it only happens with the USB plugged in. The usb is inserted in a usb 2.0 port in the back (green), I've also tried plugging it in the red or blue one.
UpsD8FH.png

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Have you tried a different brand USB stick? It either is supposed to make that sound (which might get annoying), or it's not (and you will need a new one soon).

nfdevil

Dabbler
Thanks for the response depasseg. I've just installed FreeNAS on another usb stick of another brand, but it still does the same. I've tried to pinpoint when the beeping starts, it's around the first time FreeNAS' boots shows lines about ad0 (ad 'zero').

Hope you or anyone else has other ideas to try :)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Does it beep if you use a different operating system, try a Linux live boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.