SOLVED Help Troubleshooting Existing Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It does not happen often but I think it is more likely to be the system board than the CPU or both memory modules at once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

hunter

Explorer
So, my replacement board arrived from Ebay today. Thank you for the tip, Chris. There was no problem booting or POSTing with the new board, and I could reach it via IPMI. (Success!!!) The problem I am now having: my router uses DHCP to assign the ip I want to the macID of the new board. But when I open a browser and go to the IP, I only see the ipmi interface instead of FreeNAS. I can tell FreeNAS is running--I see the vga screen output in ipmi. But I can't reach it. Can anyone tell me how to get into my FreeNAS?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So, my replacement board arrived from Ebay today. Thank you for the tip, Chris. There was no problem booting or POSTing with the new board, and I could reach it via IPMI. (Success!!!) The problem I am now having: my router uses DHCP to assign the IP I want to the macID of the new board. But when I open a browser and go to the IP, I only see the ipmi interface instead of FreeNAS. I can tell FreeNAS is running--I see the vga screen output in ipmi. But I can't reach it. Can anyone tell me how to get into my FreeNAS?
It should be two different addresses. The underlined addresses are for the IPMI management interface.

upload_2018-4-5_21-25-39.png

There will be a completely different IP address for the FreeNAS user interface. You should see that down here:

upload_2018-4-5_21-28-15.png

If you can't make it out, you can click that and it should open up in a separate Java viewer like this:

upload_2018-4-5_21-29-22.png

I set my IP addresses manually so they are always the same.

hunter

Explorer
Thank you. I have the IPMI running both over the web and with the "IPMI Viewer". But the java needed to run the interactive or KVM windows isn't running for me--have to try to tell why tomorrow. & the web user interface section, either did not display, or scrolled off of the one screen I can see through IPMI.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What operating system are you running on your desktop,where you access the IPMI page from? Because it may not be configured such that Java is available, we can add it though.

hunter

Explorer
What operating system are you running on your desktop,where you access the IPMI page from? Because it may not be configured such that Java is available, we can add it though.
It's Windows 7, I have java installed and the control panel screens say it is the latest version. I turned on java for the browser to no avail. One more thing I can try tonight is open the web page for IPMI outside of the sandbox I usually use for web browsing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Try a different browser.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
One more thing I can try tonight is open the web page for IPMI outside of the sandbox I usually use for web browsing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, you must do that. This is a local, trusted site, and the sand box is probably blocking the call to the Java virtual machine.
Once you have the iKVM running, just hitting enter should refresh the menu and tell you if there is an IP address. If the system didn't pick it up from DHCP for some reason, you may need to set it manually, and that's one of the options from the menu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

hunter

Explorer
I got the KVM applet to run finally. When IPMI would try to launch the KVM applet, I kept getting error messages from Java complaining about the Java settings not permitting a self signed application to run. It took adding "https://myip:443/iKVM.jar" to the Web Settings --> Exception Site list of the Java settings in the Windows control panel to get it to finally run. Maybe it was because I had an old version of JRE installed. The web IPMI kept nagging me to update JRE too, which I eventually did.

hunter

Explorer
& the reason my server didn't receive an IP address was because: I plugged the network cable into the IPMI port <<facepalm>>. I mislaid the motherboard legend, and didn't remember which LAN port I had been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.