X10SL7-F ram trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazkyr

Dabbler
Hi
I recently bought a X10SL7-F for my first Freenas build, but i cant seem to get the damn thing to even work, and i fear its the RAM. I get no display output on the VGA port, it just boots up and i get the beep codes very fast, to me it mostly sounds like 4 fast beep and a long one which is not a code(code list on last picture), so it is properly 5 short + long. The computer does not turn off after the codes, but just keeps running and i can hear the hdds spin up fine.
I bought 2x 8gb mt18ksf1g72az-1g6e1 on Ebay after checking the recommended list, but the seller sent me 8gb mt18ksf1g72az-1g6e1zi and 8gb mt18ksf1g72az-1g6e1ze both new. I cant seem to find any info if the ram i got is actually different, or if the last 2 letters is about manufacturing location. I tried both the sticks individually but the results were the same. Do any of you have experience with said ram on the X10SL7 board or am i boned and have to buy more ram?

K8anFSoSD4wqrUsf_LA8vCMqNr68Hm7OIHzJYYNprzsigd_5xldK4wvYyNrm5z8pc66hqQAzyxjcu9WrNWGmizoRFi0zvjn4et8Rzy7kB0C4_ULv_-rJs8OnBV-Aaa5JVpdlRMubY3Uyrou6672I-h5GEL_3k3fNLZmVdVBh3wy0pHJbq8mHXT7oJFS79CGwHawZsaQaAal04wojM2mPnwz6WLAznZhvmnZRClzkcne-UpQk5Vdik4FNmo2TJQafIP12rWLQVw7uXncQZHsDXcBD-0_A4lUSw0denihB4ft0s1l8LNLurvieVOEedDHa8JnAyT-uTwlL-vDmeGjknjzdw6siTvNWYO5s_SRiXkp3cyABgc9rjpsSq10dCCoev0ym-DI3tSSTA6DB2EzfSz7KvOicA8BriZ88iQbRHgsHP45NVyCHM3hLmzgKS8QRhpPXqMPxSrWFS0lkOIZvaHGbdlWmKOLKjhfZAMMY1e1yujopVvgAE72pZ63T8QNxyxQDvNf3Wq3rmCHgEXXdyzqy63FHfaDe6HfCuqXBjpq2NEGQ7LhTkoMWoPWkZyabh2psEefbQHaYi4GEZGsvPoWUFT6M7B4GuMkg5Kqisw7CrDG-cYuXHaWx7_5wntgglbv1WYkj1zUUmvVXUT-jtkjU8Q=w1186-h889-no

X10SL7-F beep codes according to the manual
upload_2018-11-27_18-37-13.png

The beep codes in sound:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s09hPwwnb1X6

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, if this is the wrong place please move the post to where it belongs :)

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-27_18-38-24.png
    upload_2018-11-27_18-38-24.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 287

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That sounds like a normal start up to me. Have you tried connecting to the IPMI LAN port to see if you get anything there?

Wazkyr

Dabbler
That sounds like a normal start up to me. Have you tried connecting to the IPMI LAN port to see if you get anything there?
I connected both the IPMI and Lan 1 to my router but could not see any new connections the the router screen, not sure how to check/connect the IPMI without the IP first. The router does show me connection the cables thou (it lists the link quality to 1GBs when i plug them in the SM motherboard) so there is some sort of connection i guess.

Im also wondering if the ram is not recognised, would the system even boot, and would it keep on like mine is?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
When you plug the power cord in you should see the BMC heartbeat LED on the motherboard slowly flashing on and off. If it's flashing then the BMC is powered up and working. If your router is not assigning an IP address when you plug in the cable and the BMC is responding then you have some other issue going on.

dvand

Dabbler
Ipmi view on Android has the ability to scan your subnet for active boards. Might be a helpful tool to grab which ip has been assigned (not knowing anything about your router).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Another good tool for Android, indispensible really, is "Fing". Fing will scan your LAN, tell you what's on there, and it will resolve MACs to brand names and what not. That's what I use to see where my IPMI is on a new motherboard.

The specs on that RAM look compatible with that board. On that particular board, if the CPU SKU is not supported, you won't even get power up/POST at all. It'll just stay off. So the CPU is fine. You *SHOULD* get the IPMI though. When that board is new, the IPMI is "failover" to the 1st LAN jack on the back. If you got that board used, they may have reconfigured which port supports the IPMI, however, including using the dedicated IPMI port (which I think that one has).

Everything you are describing so far is consistent with jacked up RAM. Jacked up RAM, however, will have no impact on the IPMI, which you SHOULD be able to get to.

If you can't even get the IPMI to answer, you may have bigger problems.

Wazkyr

Dabbler
I checked the BMC heartbeat LED and its flashing as it should, so is the leds on the backpanel for both the IPMI and Lan1 ports.... I tried the Supermicro IPMI view windows app, nothing found, tried the Android version, nothing, tried the "Fling" app, nothing :(
I pulled the battery out of the MB when i got it(bought all my parts used) to reset the BIOS, so it must be on default settings.
What do you mean with "jacked up RAM"?

My router is an Asus RT-AC66U, i just reset it to default settings to see if it helped but it didnt.
The cpu is an E3 1270 V3 if it is of any use.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Have you connected to the IPMI port instead of the LAN1 port? You're describing a situation which doesn't make any sense. All the indications are that the IPMI is doing what it's supposed to do. Yet, you don't see it.

For clearing the CMOS on that board, you are going to want to not only remove the battery, but *SHORT THE BATTERY TERMINALS* for 5 seconds. Just removing the battery is not going to be enough for that board because there are (presumably) capacitors that need to be bled before that cmos power is dropped. There seems to be some indication of this on the supermicro site.

There are a few people that describe behavior that might be similar to this on this board. In each of these cases, the user determined he had a bad power supply.

That's all the advice I have at this point.

For me: I'm not doing a damn thing until I am positive I have a full CMOS reset, and until I see the IPMI. I am suspecting that your CMOS was not actually cleared, the last owner had some ridiculous IP address (not in your LAN) for his IPMI hardcoded into the BIOS, and so that's why everything flashes, yet you can't "see" anyone.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
For clearing the CMOS on that board, you are going to want to not only remove the battery, but *SHORT THE BATTERY TERMINALS* for 5 seconds. Just removing the battery is not going to be enough for that board because there are (presumably) capacitors that need to be bled before that cmos power is dropped. There seems to be some indication of this on the supermicro site.
The good @DrKK is correct; Supermicro gives complete instructions for clearing the CMOS in the X10SL7-F Motherboard Manual, available for download from their product page for this board, located here:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SL7-F.cfm

No need to remove the battery. Shut down the system; remove the AC power cord; then short the JBT1 jumper located near the SATA ports. Remove the jumper before powering on the system again. This should reset the board settings to factory default values.

FWIW, I've owned this board since 2015 and it's served me well.

Good luck!

Wazkyr

Dabbler
The good @DrKK is correct; Supermicro gives complete instructions for clearing the CMOS in the X10SL7-F Motherboard Manual, available for download from their product page for this board, located here:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SL7-F.cfm

No need to remove the battery. Shut down the system; remove the AC power cord; then short the JBT1 jumper located near the SATA ports. Remove the jumper before powering on the system again. This should reset the board settings to factory default values.

FWIW, I've owned this board since 2015 and it's served me well.

Good luck!
The first thing i did when i bought the board was to download the manual. I think there is different versions/reversions of the motherboard, because there is no jumper at the specified place in the manual, that was why i removed the battery. But ill try to find out where they placed it instead, if the battery trick is not enough for Supermicro boards.

EDIT: I found the text at the right spot, but there is no pins at all oO, so no place to put the jumper they mention in the manual, apparently on some versions you have to short it with a screwdriver... what a weird system.

About the PSU, i bought a Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W(new), every review i read practically said it was impossible to get a better one, i doubt that is the problem, but who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I connected both the IPMI and Lan1 port to my router, as i wasnt sure if IPMI needed the lan port aswell or how it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_20181129_162522.jpg
    IMG_20181129_162522.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I connected both the IPMI and Lan1 port to my router, as i wasnt sure if IPMI needed the lan port aswell or how it worked.
Right.

So, in this board, out of the box from the factory, the IPMI is in "failover" mode, which basically means, "if no one is connected to the dedicated IPMI port, then go ahead and bridge this IPMI traffic to the LAN1 port". So typically speaking, at least out of the box, you would only connect LAN1, and then you would find two IP addresses associated to your new mobo from DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.