Hard reset bios Supermicro X10SL7-F any consequences for flashed it-mode?

Mike77

Contributor
Hi, I want to do a hard rest of the bios on my Supermicro X10SL7-F, and I was wondering if this would have any consequences for the flashed it-mode?

My machine won't boot anymore and I don't remember my passwords for the ipmi account and my bios. To make things worse VGA port doesn't seem to work, and I can't remember if I turned it off. At the moment the only thing the machine does is beep beep beep and then it stops.

Seeing that I can't get into the IPMI and can't see what the machine is doing, I'm hoping that a hard reset might set the ipmi back to ADMIN ADMIN or at least the vga port back on.

But seeing that I flashed to raid to it mode, I'd like to know first if this will also reset that.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi, I want to do a hard rest of the bios on my Supermicro X10SL7-F, and I was wondering if this would have any consequences for the flashed it-mode?

My machine won't boot anymore and I don't remember my passwords for the ipmi account and my bios. To make things worse VGA port doesn't seem to work, and I can't remember if I turned it off. At the moment the only thing the machine does is beep beep beep and then it stops.

Seeing that I can't get into the IPMI and can't see what the machine is doing, I'm hoping that a hard reset might set the ipmi back to ADMIN ADMIN or at least the vga port back on.

But seeing that I flashed to raid to it mode, I'd like to know first if this will also reset that.

Anyone?

Thanks.
I own a system based on the same board. Clearing the BIOS will not affect the board's built-in LSI 2308 controller.

Mike77

Contributor
Thanks. I just tried shorting the pins on jumper jbr1 to nr 2 and 3, but it sadly didn't clear/reset the passwords. Neither did it make the VGA function again.

I read the manual again and tried the 'power of, no memory'- reboot for the VGA, but it didn't work. The VGA jumper is in the 'enable' position.

What will happen if I take out the battery? Will I mess up the LSI?

Is there any other way that could clear the bios/cmos password and the ipmi password?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks. I just tried shorting the pins on jumper jbr1 to nr 2 and 3, but it sadly didn't clear/reset the passwords. Neither did it make the VGA function again.

I read the manual again and tried the 'power of, no memory'- reboot for the VGA, but it didn't work. The VGA jumper is in the 'enable' position.

What will happen if I take out the battery? Will I mess up the LSI?

Is there any other way that could clear the bios/cmos password and the ipmi password?

No, it won't mess up the LSI.

You have a bit of a bootstrap issue here. Usually the way to reset an errant IPMI is to use ipmicfg or ipmitool from the console.

Since you lack the VGA console, the two solutions I see are:

1) Make a USB boot stick with Linux and the Linux ipmicfg tool on it, configure it to do SSH, test that on another machine, then try it

2) Make a USB boot stick with Linux and the Linux ipmicfg tool on it, configure it for serial boot, and tackle it that way.

Mike77

Contributor
Guys, thanks for all the help.

It took me some time, but I got it working again using jgreco's advice. I used the Linux USB and automated the ipmicfg, resetting the ipmi to factory settings. And now I was finally able to see what was happening to my freenas system. For some reason A set of three mirror usb sticks, running freenas, failed after reboot and now start with the install or upgrade menu. But this problem is solved.

mashwani

Cadet
Hello Mike77

You said that your machine doesnt boot anymore. Curious how you got it to boot. I am in the same situation and the console says "System Initializing 91". I have cleared CMOS and it doesnt work. I created a usb using jgreco advise and it doesnt boot from it. Any advise?
Thanks