Motherboard beeping when i transfer files

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledip

Dabbler
Hello all,

First of all, please excuse me for my english, it's not my native language.

I currently have 2 zpools in my NAS, zpool.2 is empty, zpool.1 is 89% filled. Of course, freenas is warning me of this situation.

I'm trying to transfer files from zpool.1 to zpool.2 with rsync, to free up some space, but after about 20 seconds of transfer, the motherboard (i think) starts to beep ... The sound is like a firing alarm : two tones, pretty fast, and stops almost immediately when i cancel the transfer.

First of all, here are my system specs :

• FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011
  • Case : Norco RPC 4224
  • MB : SUPERMICRO X10SL7-F-O
  • CPU : Pentium G3240
  • RAM : 2x8GO Crucial DDR3 ECC (I know 16Go is probably not enough and i plan to correct that)
  • HDD : 2 zpools of 8x4TB drives
  • HBA : IBM M1015 controller flashed in IT mode with v20 firmware
  • The mother board SAS controller is also flashed with IT v20 firmware
I have no idea what to do to solve this problem, Freenas doesn't seem to give me any warning (other than the 89% of disk capacity), so i thought maybe the problem comes from the motherboard ou the HBA ?

I also don't know which error information to post, is there any command i should run ?

Thanks by advance for helping me with this problem.

Rand

Guru
Have you checked the mainboard manual to identify the beep code?;)

Edit: You could also check the log in the bios to see if anything is logged there?

How have you spaced out your pools? 1 on one HBA and the other one on the other? Or mixed?
Is this only happening with rsync or also with cp?
Can you put load on either pool without the issue? I.e. is it only when copying from one pool to the other?
Whats the power supply?

Last edited:

Rand

Guru
Yes didnt see it in mine either thats why i added some more questions;)

doubledip

Dabbler
Okay, so i checked the bios log with the IMPI interface and ... boom :

V1DBC2s.png

So i checked the CPU Temp and ... Damn it's hot in there :

Code:
raoul@dakar:/mnt/zpool.1/medias %  sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 68.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 64.0C

Can't understand why though ... The CPU fan is working and i've got two 80mm Noctua fans extracting hot air ...

Maybe it's because the fanwall is blowing hot air of the HDD directly on the CPU ?

Anyway, i think CPU temp is the problem (or at least it's A problem), but i can't figure out why i can't find this beep code in the supermicro manual.

Last edited:

Rand

Guru
Ah that was my initial thought - temperature due to the copy job - but that should occur when you have load on either pool from outside as well.

But honestly, 68° is not that high - check what's allowed for you CPU and then just modify the alert level - thats a configurable value.

And if your layout and blow directions are
outside -> disks -> fans -> mainboard & cpu -> fans -> outside
then thats fine.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
But honestly, 68° is not that high - check what's allowed for you CPU and then just modify the alert level - thats a configurable value.
That is pretty high.. Especially since the Pentium G3240 has a TCase of 72°. I think that most around here consider 60° the limit; but I know I run near that ~54° (which I should/will address)

Rand

Guru
Ah well I have to agree - with 72 as limit its too much.
Haven't looked much into temp ratings anymore those last years since i stopped overclocking on my desktop;)

Can you check the history ? Has it always been high? Maybe the thermal grease is not spread properly.
If that is fine - whats the actual case temp?
If its too high & those drives are 7200's then you might need to ramp up cooling after all..

doubledip

Dabbler
Ok, so .... I transfered my system from my old case to the Norco last week ... Apparently, the rad moved during the process, and it was fixed to the mobo with only 2 of the 4 screws ...

As you can imagine, cooling wasn't really optimal ... CPU currently runs at a much more acceptable temp ...

Code:
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 37.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 36.0C

What a dumb mistake to make ... I'll try to rsync some stuff and get back to you (btw, it beeped with both zpools).

Thanks a lot for your help guys

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
One thing I have noticed is that the X10 boards' beep codes are hard to identify. The single "Ok" beep sounds like two or three...

Status
Not open for further replies.