Plugin versions?

I notice that many popular plugins, such as Plex and Nextcloud, now don't display the version numbers. I wonder what the reasons are behind this?

They switched the plugin repos from the TrueOS repo to the vanilla "FreeNAS lastest repo".
This change likely broke the "version numbers", I noticed some related JIRA tickets still open. This switch also resulted in some broken plugins, so a few of them were (temporary?) removed.

I'm surprised none of this was mentioned in the 11.3-U2 release notes.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
This was done post 11.3-U2, we're investigating...

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok, talked to the Engineers. Its an issue with using the new package repos for FreeBSD. It's cosmetic only, but we have a fix landed in 12 nightly images, and will backport it to 11.3-U3.

Thanks for the heads up!

ddaenen1

Patron
It's the same on my truenas box. The numbers are there for a few of the IxSystems supported plugins and the rest are missing. I also can't update any plugins.

tprelog

Patron
As mentioned earlier by @Kris Moore, seeing the plugin version is only cosmetic,

Also it only works if the plugin's main application is a package installed from the FreeBSD repos. If there is not a corresponding package in the repo - there will not be a plugin version. So for example, if the plugin's application is installed from GitHub or uses Python to pip install - there will be no plugin version.

Anyways, a missing plugin version does not prevent you updating a plugin.

As mentioned earlier by @Kris Moore, seeing the plugin version is only cosmetic,

Also it only works if the plugin's main application is a package installed from the FreeBSD repos. If there is not a corresponding package in the repo - there will not be a plugin version. So for example, if the plugin's application is installed from GitHub or uses Python to pip install - there will be no plugin version.

Anyways, a missing plugin version does not prevent you updating a plugin.

I used the evening to update my plugins and they all worked except the Tautulli plugin, so it must be something specific to that one.

bbenz3

Explorer
I don't have an issue updating my plugins however, it was really nice when the versions were displayed as I would get notifications via email letting me know that there was an update available. I checked on the Jira queue but everything that is publicly visible is really old. The only mention of this issue is for 11.3 and it doesn't appear to have been fully completed or somehow it has reappeared.

anotherme

Cadet
Right, but if one is spot checking to see if there is a new version of a plugin or where they are in relation to current....

One example is graylog, which is displaying a warning notice that the installed version is not the latest version. While there may be disparity between the installed version vs. current version in the repo vs. latest available (from origination) - the ability to check on "installed version vs. latest version of the plugin from the repo" is meaningful. Otherwise, one would have to attempt to upgrade (taking an outage) just to find out that the currently installed version is the latest available version in the repo.

Given that its happening to both Official plugins and Community ones, doesn't seem pragmatic.