iocage plugins and external app storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasmart

Dabbler
I have started toying around with the new plugins in 11.2 and wonder if there is/will be a way to setup external storage for application data. To be clear, I am not talking about storage like the media data for plex or the download folder of transmission. I am thinking about a place for application specific configuration or database files, so when the plugin is moved, reinstalled or updated the configuration files and data survive.

I remember there was such a thing as part of the configuration page for the docker plugins in the dark ages of corral, are there plans for re-implementation of the feature? Maybe a feature request is in order?

I suppose I could mount a dedicated dataset into the plugin jail and then change for example the plex configuration file inside the plugin-jail to use the mounted dataset as the location for e.g. the database files. But I wonder what happens in case of an update or reinstall of the plugin, i suppose the changes inside plugin are overwritten?

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
If you need application data to be stored separately from the jail and are concerned with any given plugins update process, dont use plugins. Build your own jail for the application and update using port/pkg/etc as you see fit. That said generally I would expect a plugin update to NOT overwrite configs, etc... Unless you have customised the plugin jail environment in some unexpected way.

Status
Not open for further replies.