Networking freenas without Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What a cluster of a setup....

That's an understatement. I'm glad I went to bed last night instead of trying to figure this out. o_O

@dillweed you realize this has nothing to do with FreeNAS. It would really benefit you to do some research on networking best practices before attempting to get this abomination working because WHEN it breaks you're going to have an impossible time finding where the problem is.

dillweed

Dabbler
That's an understatement. I'm glad I went to bed last night instead of trying to figure this out. o_O

@dillweed you realize this has nothing to do with FreeNAS. It would really benefit you to do some research on networking best practices before attempting to get this abomination working because WHEN it breaks you're going to have an impossible time finding where the problem is.
Your comment was not nessary. This does apply to FreeNAS because I'm trying to setup one. I do in fact know how network, but it's kinda hard to this with regulated corporate hardware.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Your comment was not nessary. This does apply to FreeNAS because I'm trying to setup one. I do in fact know how network, but it's kinda hard to this with regulated corporate hardware.
Actually once FreeNAS is on a proper network, on an actual working subnet with proper routing, everything works. This is a problem with your particular network. It's not a freenas issue.

dillweed

Dabbler
Yes than you for stating the obvious! I know that it will work on a proper network. I came here because it wasn't working, and then you all point that it was a problem with router 2. Which indeed includes FreeNAS. Also, I did Google ALOT before coming here so please corporate with me and help, and stop complaining.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
We aren't complaining! You're not providing any info about subnets and IP addresses or well. Anything.

How can we 'corporate' with you if you don't give us a full picture?!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I have a Verizon MiFi we have to turn off daily that sends the signal to a main router, and then theirs a second router that's hard wired to the main router; which the nas server is connected to. My question is can I set the server to be accessible with out Internet on all of my computers?
I apologize for not answering your question properly. The answer is Yes. Internet connectivity has nothing to do with FreeNas functioning properly. In your case though since you have multiple routers on the network, only the computers connected to the 2nd router (the one that FreeNas is connected to), will be able to see the FreeNas. At least until you either flatten your network (change router #2 to a bridge), or port forward (or static route) through router #2.

Your post #1 and post #19 appear to be conflicting. One says wired, the other says wireless.

So to ask you a question. Can you please provide a network diagram, including physical connectivity, IP addressing (including IP space and subnet masks, as well as DHCP servers), and where the client devices are located? You can just draw it on a piece of paper and post a picture or use something like Visio.

Thank you.

dillweed

Dabbler
Here you go! I hope this helps! If you have any questions about spelling ask me, I know my handwriting not the best!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 226

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Here you go! I hope this helps! If you have any questions about spelling ask me, I know my handwriting not the best!
That helps and confirmed my suspicions. Find the ip address of the laptop on the right and then using the laptop on the left try to ping that address. It will fail. That was what folks were trying to say, when they said it wasn't a FreeNas specific issue. For all intents and purposes, everything connected to the router on the left is considered "the internet" to the router on the right. The simplest thing you can do, is put the DDWRT router on the right into bridge mode which just extends the 192.168.0.XXX network to all the devices on the right side (they will all need to get new IP addresses).

dillweed

Dabbler
Okay i just check on the ddwrt router and it was set for AP i when ahead and changed it to client briged. Is that corner on what you said?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Okay i just check on the ddwrt router and it was set for AP i when ahead and changed it to client briged. Is that corner on what you said?
I don't know, but it's starting to sound like more of a ddwrt question.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
They are all repeating the same SSID and password...
What do you think that means? That doesn't mean anything. Look at your different subnets. You have multiple broadcast networks. That has zero to do with ssid.

dillweed

Dabbler
I don't know, but it's starting to sound like more of a ddwrt question.
So you think it's a network problem in the ddwrt router? I have the MiFi off right now and the nas isn't accessible anywhere except the hard wired desktop to the ddwrt router.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Here's the thing. You're using routers wrong. You need them to be access points and switches only. You are double/triple natting. Your networks actually can't talk to each other. You have individual networks that aren't actually connected.

dillweed

Dabbler
Here's the thing. You're using routers wrong. You need them to be access points and switches only. You are double/triple natting. Your networks actually can't talk to each other. You have individual networks that aren't actually connected.
Then how should they be connect? You know since you know everything and can't explain what your talking about! Atleast @depasseg is actually trying to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.